Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish promo-customer appreciation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dkutz

dkutz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

Has anyone else gotten the promo inthe mail for continuing customers? IT has two offers HD DVR offer -free dvr upgrade $10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months

OR

$10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months plus an additional $15 credit.

Anyone do this? Is it a good deal? Whats the catch?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

Has anyone else gotten the promo inthe mail for continuing customers? IT has two offers HD DVR offer -free dvr upgrade $10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months

OR

$10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months plus an additional $15 credit.

Anyone do this? Is it a good deal? Whats the catch?

The catch is that you won't go to another company when they release their information on 5/11. My guess is it will come with an agreement. DirecTV has been doing this for over a year and Charlie is trying to show his customers that he cares.

#3 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

I got a large "postcard" some time back and did the HBO & Starz for 3 months (no added commit - they had my email address and autopay-paperless for penny Cinemax). On my card, it says the Starz offer expired 05/05/09, but it also says offerS valid thru 31-Jul and subject to change. When I did the HBO & Starz, I did ask for the $10/month for a year, but it appears the crack CSR never entered it. I've phoned 3 times asking when the $10 would appear (I'm in my last 30 days of Starz) but this 3rd time was the charm. He said it hasn't shown up because it wasn't ever requested. The $10 does require a 24 month commit, but I'd break even if I signed up and paid it off in 14-15 months.

BUT, my card doesn't have anything about an "extra $15 credit". What can you tell me about that additional $15 credit? If I'm going to phone again for the $10/month, I may as well go for the extra $15 too. It would help to have some info though.

#4 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:20 AM

I just got the card in the mail. The offers are listed as follows:

HD DVR Offer: Free HD DVR upgrade $5.98/mo DVR service fee applies; $120 savings off your current programming package (12 monthly credits of $10); Free HBO and starz for 3 months; Free HD channels for 3 months

Programming Offer: $120 savings off your current programming package (12 monthly credits of $10); Free HBO and starz for 3 months; Free HD channels for 3 months; Additional $15 credit (the equivalent of 3 movies)

Offers require commitment. HD programming requires HD receiver and HD television (sold separately).

Offers valid through 7/31/09 and subject to change without notice.

HD DVR Upgrade: requires 24-month commitment to a qualifying package ... Installation restrictions may apply.

$10 Off for 12 months: requires 24-month commitment to a qualifying package ...

Lots of other fine print including cancellation fees.

One question I have is how much is the "free" HD DVR upgrade? That is, how much would installation of a new antenna run? What about installation of the new HD DVR? I presume that there is no chance any of the existing programming on an old Dish DVR could be transferred to the new one, right?

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

One question I have is how much is the "free" HD DVR upgrade? That is, how much would installation of a new antenna run? What about installation of the new HD DVR? I presume that there is no chance any of the existing programming on an old Dish DVR could be transferred to the new one, right?

With this offer, there is no up-front lease fee for the HD-DVR and no charge for installation, which includes a new dish if required. It's being "paid for" by your programming commitment. Remember all of the threads where people complain that Dish never offers existing customers "good deals" like new customers get? Well, this is just such a deal.

There is no way to move content from a standard-def DVR to an HD-DVR, nor any way to archive it. But once you have an HD-DVR, you can archive content to an external USB hard drive, and THAT could be used to transfer content between HD-DVRs on your account (622/722/722k/612), as it is linked to your account, not to a specific DVR. It would also allow you to backup/restore shows in case of a receiver failure (you'd need to archive shows regularly, of course).

#6 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

I got this in the mail as well.

Reading the fine print at the bottom mine says the offer is good until 7/31 (I think that's what I remember).

I immediately started dreaming of holding the card in my hand and calling Dish the day the 922 is released and getting my 622 exchanged for a 922 for free....... :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

That is exactly what came to my mind as well :lol:

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

I immediately started dreaming of holding the card in my hand and calling Dish the day the 922 is released and getting my 622 exchanged for a 922 for free....... :lol:

Hope you enjoy the dream, because that's about as close as you're going to get to that scenario happening anytime in the next 18-24 months! :lol:

#9 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

I got the card in the mail and signed up yesterday for the promotion/2 year commitment.
Since I already was getting the HBO/Starz 3mon. free (since May 1) I got the CSR to give me Showtime free also for 3months.

#10 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

I have not received this offer and have been looking to upgrade. Is there a code or special phone number associated with this program?
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#11 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

This offer is for people who are no longer on a long term commitment and have good payment record. It is just a way to get them to sign up for 24 more months.

#12 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

The current HBO/Showtime 3 months free deal does is commitment free.

#13 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Rememebr if you took the HBO/Starz promo, you are not eligible for the HBO/Showtime.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#14 OFFLINE   whessen

whessen

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

This offer is for people who are no longer on a long term commitment and have good payment record. It is just a way to get them to sign up for 24 more months.

I have 12 months remaining on a previous committement and was given the offer. My new committement is 24 months, not 36 months (12 on the old commit and 24 on the new commit).

The offer is being handled through the Loyalty Department. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and set me up very quickly - upgarde to a HD DVR, $10 per month off of my bill for 12 months, 3 months free HBO/Showtime, and Platimum HD free for 3 moths.

I have paperless billing and online bill pay.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

I have 12 months remaining on a previous committement and was given the offer. My new committement is 24 months, not 36 months (12 on the old commit and 24 on the new commit).

The offer is being handled through the Loyalty Department. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and set me up very quickly - upgarde to a HD DVR, $10 per month off of my bill for 12 months, 3 months free HBO/Showtime, and Platimum HD free for 3 moths.

I have paperless billing and online bill pay.

If you do ebill/autopay you should be able to get Cinemax of a penny for at least a year.

#16 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

With this offer, there is no up-front lease fee for the HD-DVR and no charge for installation, which includes a new dish if required. It's being "paid for" by your programming commitment. Remember all of the threads where people complain that Dish never offers existing customers "good deals" like new customers get? Well, this is just such a deal.

There is no way to move content from a standard-def DVR to an HD-DVR, nor any way to archive it. But once you have an HD-DVR, you can archive content to an external USB hard drive, and THAT could be used to transfer content between HD-DVRs on your account (622/722/722k/612), as it is linked to your account, not to a specific DVR. It would also allow you to backup/restore shows in case of a receiver failure (you'd need to archive shows regularly, of course).

That is interesting. Currently I have a SD DVR feeding two TVs (one of which is HD). I suppose I could move the SD DVR to the second TV and have the HD-DVR just feed the HDTV (with both DVRs in single-TV mode) until we have finished watching all the material on the SD DVR and then return that? (Unless of course we get too used to having both DVRs .....)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...