Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: Dish Network Launches Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

If you login to your Dish Online account and scroll to the bottom, you will see that networked E* dvrs can now be accessed online via computer or iphone.

Edited by jclewter79, 08 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:13 AM

I just checked and sure enough it looks like it is working. Very cool.

Edited by mfabel, 08 May 2009 - 03:06 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

OK, cool. Now someone needs to develop an iPhone and Windows Mobile app. I saw the DirecTV one on an iPhone and it was very neat.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Now the questions can start...
If your rx is off, will remote access still work? i.e. Will online access 'wake it up'?
Will we ever be able to transfer programs from one DVR to another?
Will we be able to access an external HD?

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

I think you meant to say the networked E* dvrs can be accessed online. I just checked and sure enough it looks like it is working. Very cool.

yeah I meant now instead of not. I fixed it.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   Lostinspace

Lostinspace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

Now the questions can start...
If your rx is off, will remote access still work? i.e. Will online access 'wake it up'?
Will we ever be able to transfer programs from one DVR to another?
Will we be able to access an external HD?

I've been using the beta version of this for a couple of months, so here are some answers based on my experiences:

Yes, remote access works even if the receiver is in standby (it's never actually "off" unless the plug is pulled.

You can not currently transfer programs between DVR's.

You can not currently access an external HD.

#7 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

DISH NETWORK® REMOTE ACCESS SERVICE GIVES CUSTOMERS POWER TO MANAGE THEIR DVRS FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD

Includes all the features of a DVR remote control and comprehensive search functionality

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 8, 2009 – DISH Network® (NASDAQ: DISH), today launched its DISH Remote Access service to customers across the country. Free to DISH Network customers with a broadband-connected ViP® Series DVR, DISH Remote Access gives customers total access to all the features of their DVR from any internet connected device, allowing them to manage their programming from anywhere in the world.

DISH Remote Access includes a comprehensive search functionality, which looks for desired content throughout a nine-day programming guide. It uses keywords and filters set by the user, such as genre, channel, sports, content rating and language, and more. Upon finding the programming event they want to record, customers simply click the record button next to the event description, selecting to either record the one event, all events or only new events.

“DISH Remote Access provides the most robust online DVR interface available,” said Ira Bahr, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “No other service compares to the level of DVR control that DISH Remote Access offers. Not only can customers remotely set recordings, but they can also see and manage their DVRs in real time, as if they were at home.”

In addition, DISH Network customers who lease or purchase the ViP® 922 HD DVR – available later this year – will have all the great benefits of the DISH Remote Access service plus the ability to view both their live and recorded DVR content via integrated Slingbox™ technology. The same integration is also available to customers who have a Slingbox connected to a DISH Network ViP® Series DVR.

DISH Network receivers eligible for the DISH Remote Access are: the ViP® 922 (when available), ViP® 722k, ViP® 722, ViP® 622 and ViP® 612 HD DVRs. To set up DISH Remote Access and learn more about the service, customers can visit www.dishnetwork.com/dishremoteaccess.

###

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) provides approximately 13.678 million satellite TV customers as of Dec. 31, 2008 with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most international channels in the U.S., state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the DuoDVRTM ViP® 722 DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine “Editors’ Choice.” DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#8 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Been using for a while now, but glad to read it's official. :)

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,298 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:40 AM

I went into my old SlingGuide using a bookmark (Firefox's "favorites" for IE users who've never used Firefox) and it took me directly into a page that looked similar to SlingGuide but has a title "Dish Remote Access".

If you go to the link in the news release you can start there and you can also by Sling hardware products directly.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Ya, I have a feeling that most of us here have been using it for a while, but since it's now out of beta figured it was worth posting. =)
Rob

#11 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

OK, cool. Now someone needs to develop an iPhone and Windows Mobile app. I saw the DirecTV one on an iPhone and it was very neat.

Remote Access works great on the iPhone. They have it optimized for Safari on the iPhone. You can even toggle to remote mode and remotely control your DVR from the iPhone.

I have scheduled many shows from my iPhone without a hitch.
Rob

#12 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

Kind of funny they would go live with it when I have been having so many problems and no response when I send them feedback...

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#13 OFFLINE   HarveyLA

HarveyLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

I can now search "later" for all movies in HD on all of my premium channels. The Beta skipped a lot of them.

#14 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

Kind of funny they would go live with it when I have been having so many problems and no response when I send them feedback...

I've left many, many suggestions and bug reports and have never received any kind of response, I think that's just their SOP.

#15 OFFLINE   bobr

bobr

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:12 PM

I've been using it for a few months and have had no issues.
All recordings I set through slinguide were recorde.

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,298 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

I haven't had any problems with the online version. But I can't wait until people start reporting how CSR's explain this feature.:rolleyes:

#17 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

Anyone know if you can make it work with a BlackBerry? I tried going to the Dish Network website and then clicking on the Remote Access link, but I can't find a link that works. When I try to log in to My Account, i get a black screen that just says "[Flash: loader]".

#18 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

I also tried going straight to http://dish1.sling.com//index.php, but I get this error: HTTP Error 502: Bad Gateway.

Edited by mfabel, 08 May 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Anyone know if you can make it work with a BlackBerry? I tried going to the Dish Network website and then clicking on the Remote Access link, but I can't find a link that works. When I try to log in to My Account, i get a black screen that just says "[Flash: loader]".

Go download Adobe Player 9.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#20 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

Well it wasn't just that I didn't receive any response from them, but the issues still remain:

- My HD locals haven't shown up 100%. For a long time the only one that showed up was the local PBS and that is OTA. The HD SAT locals weren't showing up.... Now I can see the PBS and CBS HD locals on it.

- I have a slingbox and the "Watch on the web" feature has never worked, just says "connecting..."

Oh and there were others, those were just the main one that I actually wanted to use and couldn't....

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

spam firewall