Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: Dish Network Launches Remote Access

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mfabel

mfabel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Go download Adobe Player 9.

Is the a version for a BlackBerry? I didn't think they made it for a BB.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:39 PM

I've been using it for while and noticed that Resolving Conflicts is not easy remotely, much easier on the box itself. My old, only had it for 3 months, Series 2 TiVo did it automatically and flawlessly every time and that, which is foolish, I have always compare this feature to. Also it has reported false conflicts, they are on the web but not the box, and the UI only gives you a make or break and often wrong or broken (a blank selection box) selection to resolve it. Have also noticed that remotely set programs show up in the Schedule, but not on the EPG.

If this is different for any one else, I'd be curious to hear.

The look and operation is smooth and fast. I was impressed to "feel" how solid this is. And the "Grid" in "reverse", light on dark, would be a great look for the EPG and UI. But it looks like that that is being saved for the 922.

. . . fb

#23 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:35 AM

Ahh nice. i don't have to change all my bookmark stuff. I've got it bookmarked at the beta location, and they moved that same URL to production.

So basically once activated you no longer have to use that awful dishnetwork.com website, you can go directly to the sling site and bookmark it directly.

https://dish.sling.com/

#24 OFFLINE   westphalia

westphalia

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

I get a small discount by having my Dish service through AT&T (in name only - AT&T doesn't provide any sort of service or portal). However, I can't register on Dish's site since it says I don't have a residential account so that means I'll never be able to use this feature, right? Any way around that?

#25 OFFLINE   echo6280

echo6280

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

Question...I have my wireless router on the other side of my house. Is there anyway to get my VIP 622 to access the wireless router without have to hookup an ethernet cord (similar to the way my XBOX 360 does?) If not...is there another way to get the dish remote access to work without having to move the modem, router, etc. to my home theater room?

#26 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

I get a small discount by having my Dish service through AT&T (in name only - AT&T doesn't provide any sort of service or portal). However, I can't register on Dish's site since it says I don't have a residential account so that means I'll never be able to use this feature, right? Any way around that?

Because you have a partnered account like that you have to register through dish.sling.com for the feature since you can't register your account at dishnetwork.com
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#27 OFFLINE   brunnegd

brunnegd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

I have the same issue. How can my 622 work with my wireless network?

#28 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Vip receivers will work wirelessly if you set up an ethernet wireless bridge.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#29 OFFLINE   brunnegd

brunnegd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Question...I have my wireless router on the other side of my house. Is there anyway to get my VIP 622 to access the wireless router without have to hookup an ethernet cord (similar to the way my XBOX 360 does?) If not...is there another way to get the dish remote access to work without having to move the modem, router, etc. to my home theater room?

From the DISH online chat: We offer a Homeplug ethernet adapter for $29 (before shipping/taxes). You plug it into an electracal outlet and your router. It then communicates with the HD DVR through the electrical lines so that you're able to use the Remote Access.
$39.84 after s&h and tax. :nono2:

#30 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

From the DISH online chat: We offer a Homeplug ethernet adapter for $29 (before shipping/taxes). You plug it into an electracal outlet and your router. It then communicates with the HD DVR through the electrical lines so that you're able to use the Remote Access.
$39.84 after s&h and tax. :nono2:

What is the eye roll for? That is an accurate statement...
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#31 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Homeplug does work. I have both a 622 and 722 hooked up this way and confirmed last night that Remote Access works with a Homeplug device. You might be able to get one cheaper than through Dish but I believe the device needs to be Homeplug 1.0 compatible.

#32 OFFLINE   bigoldboy

bigoldboy

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

If you connect the pvr (i have a 622) to the network, does it contact DISH network mother ship? I am not too excited about them being able to access my device.

#33 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

If you connect the pvr (i have a 622) to the network, does it contact DISH network mother ship? I am not too excited about them being able to access my device.

All it contacts Dish for is to
A) - verify that you are connected, thus waiving the 2nd tuner access fee (if you would ordinarily be charged one)
and
B) - report any PPV movies / events that you order via your remote.

Having the network does allow you to use the network feature they are talking about also.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#34 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

I bought a wireless bridge to pair with my wireless router (both D-link 802.11n gigabyte). It works great with my 722. Also my DVRPal and my PS3.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#35 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

Vip receivers will work wirelessly if you set up an ethernet wireless bridge.

I did it successfully with my 722, but there is constant activity on the connection that was clogging up my network. If I connect a Cat5 cable the activity is sporadic. I hooked the bridge to a computer and the activity is not constant as it is with the 722. DISH has no clue why.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

. . . fb

#36 OFFLINE   unr1

unr1

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

I will set this up in a few days... can't wait.

I have one ethernet cable in the back of the TV for my slingbox so I'll need to get a switch first.

I'll report back ^_^

#37 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

Can the Homeplug ethernet adapter support 2 recievers?

#38 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:45 AM

Can the Homeplug ethernet adapter support 2 recievers?

Yes, I have both a 622 and 722 connected via a single Homeplug ethernet adapter with no problems including Remote Access. Some folks have reported problems because of the way their house's power has been wired related to circuit isolation. You might want to do a search on this forum or other satellite forum sites.

#39 OFFLINE   slh7d

slh7d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:51 AM

I know IE8 hasnt been realeased yet, but I can't scroll down the channel list using IE8 (version that comes with Windows 7). Firefox works fine.

#40 OFFLINE   satgeek550

satgeek550

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

Been a beta tester for a while now it is kinda cool, you can mess with who ever is currently watching the TV changing the channel on them but thats just me. If you have Locks set up dont teach your kids how to do this because they can hop on here change the channel and then watch whatever was blocked.

spam firewall