Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Opportunity for Comcast Philly?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PWenger

PWenger

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Bare with my thinking...

Arlen Spector just changed from R to D. He has lost his senority, and he, of course, has no shot of being the Republican nominee after the primaries. I have serious doubts he would be able to secure the nomination of the Democratic party (FULL DISCLOSURE: This view may be colored. I am in PA, so Spector is "my" Senator. I am a Democrat, a bit left of center. I am one of those who believes in the idea of the "esteemed opposition"...people of good conscious can have inteligent debate on issues they disagree with, and learn and refine their own views from the exercise. In the case of Spector, I really just don't trust him. He seems to have a constiuency of one...himself. I don't think he serves either party very well, and his only goal is re-election. But my intention of this thread is not to start political debate, I just think you should know where I am coming from.)

Spector has held this seat for years. Those of us in the Philly area are well aware of his relationship with Comcast. Whether he holds his seat or not, he is in for a battle. This might be the time to write a few letters about the terrestrial loophole to him, whoever his opponents end up to be, and the other officials involved.

Now, this country faces many challenges WELL beyond the fact that I can't watch a Phillies or Flyers home game. I AM NOT ADVOCATING VOTING FOR ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER SOLELY ON THIS ISSUE. If you decide your vote based on not being able to get Comcast Sports Philly on satellite, I would beg you to stay home on election day, whichever party you belong to.

But what I am saying is, if we get a "bug" in the candidates ears that their constiuents care about this, when the issue does come up (usually, because Comcast is trying to get something more for free from the government...like stadiums for the teams they own, etc) we might have a "fresher" view in the Senate. Might be enough to at least put some pressure on to close the loophole.

I know it is a very, very up-hill battle, but this is the first ray of hope, albiet tiny one, that we have had in a long time.

Whaddaya think?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PA GIANTS FAN

PA GIANTS FAN

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts
  • LocationFrackville PA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

The idea of this happening would be nice but highly unlikely. Comcast will still try to use every loop hole they can to keep comcast philly off satellite. The day will come but not without a fight to end.

#3 OFFLINE   agua bendita

agua bendita

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Philly.com president Eric Grilly, who has run the Web site for the Philadelphia Daily News and Philadelphia Inquirer for two years, is leaving to become executive vice president and chief digital officer for Comcast Sports Group.

Philadelphia Media Holdings, which owns the Web site and both newspapers, did not respond immediately to requests for comment. But Grilly confirmed the move in a phone interview with E&P, noting he is leaving to join a larger company, not out of any dissatisfaction with Philly.com.

"They've got their footprint in 10 markets, and if you look where Comcast is going, they have an aggressive expansion plan," Grilly said. "I am going to a Fortune 50 company that offered me an incredible opportunity."

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Bare with my thinking...

Arlen Spector just changed from R to D. He has lost his senority, and he, of course, has no shot of being the Republican nominee after the primaries. I have serious doubts he would be able to secure the nomination of the Democratic party (FULL DISCLOSURE: This view may be colored. I am in PA, so Spector is "my" Senator. I am a Democrat, a bit left of center. I am one of those who believes in the idea of the "esteemed opposition"...people of good conscious can have inteligent debate on issues they disagree with, and learn and refine their own views from the exercise. In the case of Spector, I really just don't trust him. He seems to have a constiuency of one...himself. I don't think he serves either party very well, and his only goal is re-election. But my intention of this thread is not to start political debate, I just think you should know where I am coming from.)

Spector has held this seat for years. Those of us in the Philly area are well aware of his relationship with Comcast. Whether he holds his seat or not, he is in for a battle. This might be the time to write a few letters about the terrestrial loophole to him, whoever his opponents end up to be, and the other officials involved.

Now, this country faces many challenges WELL beyond the fact that I can't watch a Phillies or Flyers home game. I AM NOT ADVOCATING VOTING FOR ONE PERSON OR ANOTHER SOLELY ON THIS ISSUE. If you decide your vote based on not being able to get Comcast Sports Philly on satellite, I would beg you to stay home on election day, whichever party you belong to.

But what I am saying is, if we get a "bug" in the candidates ears that their constiuents care about this, when the issue does come up (usually, because Comcast is trying to get something more for free from the government...like stadiums for the teams they own, etc) we might have a "fresher" view in the Senate. Might be enough to at least put some pressure on to close the loophole.

I know it is a very, very up-hill battle, but this is the first ray of hope, albiet tiny one, that we have had in a long time.

Whaddaya think?

I am near Lancaster.. don't hold your breath.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:09 AM

Will never happen, just like D* will never have CST in Louisiana, SD4 in San Diego, or Comcast Northwest in Oregon

None of these channels will ever be on DirecTV

#6 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,089 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Will never happen, just like D* will never have CST in Louisiana, SD4 in San Diego, or Comcast Northwest in Oregon

None of these channels will ever be on DirecTV

the law may change that the channels will likely then be put up.

spam firewall