Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Network press release Over 140 National HD Channels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

http://dish.client.s...eleaseID=382837

Dish advertising they are now the National HD Leader with over 140 HD channels.

Now that Dish is in the lead with HD channel counts, what can we expect from Directv?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

I'm surprised they aren't crowing about the fact that they serve more DMAs with HD-LIL in that Press Release as well...

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

[url]Now that Dish is in the lead with HD channel counts, what can we expect from Directv?

Realistically, you can expect DirecTV to keep saying what they've been saying: no *significant* new HD additions until D12 is launched and operational.

Given the rate that DirecTV is signing up new customers (to the point where they are intentionally slowing the acquisition rate) and the rate that Dish is losing customers, DirecTV doesn't have much to prove right now. Just like when Dish was the HD leader 3 years ago with Voom, and DirecTV only had about 10 HD channels, DirecTV had their plan, to launch new birds and bring more HD online. They did that exactly as they said they would.

They'll let Dish hold the lead for a few months until they get their new bird up, at which point we'll probably see 30-40 new national HD channels over the months following. If you were expecting some kind of immediate "answer" by DirecTV rushing to add more HD this week, you're likely to be disappointed.

#4 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Directv should change those PPVHD channels over to new national hd channels.

#5 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

Directv should change those PPVHD channels over to new national hd channels.

Yes, I agree with that, they should replace PPV with full time national channels. However, in 2006, I jumped ship from DirecTV to Dish because then (like now) Dish had a few more HD channels.
I regreted this move a little over a year later in October 2007, and switched back to DirecTV in January 2008. I think that I will stay with DirecTV now and wait it out, until each provider has 100% of their lineup in HD, the HD "leader" will flip flop from provider to provider.
I wonder how the HD quality looks on E* compaired to D*. I cant imagine that E* has THAT more more space to cram channels than D* does.

#6 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

This is too funny.

Would love to see the list of what they are counting.

We dispute Directv's 130 number.

#7 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

This is too funny.

Would love to see the list of what they are counting.

We dispute Directv's 130 number.

I'm sure it's just as shady as DirecTV's counting method, but for the folks who accept DirecTV's word, they have little ground to call foul on Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm sure it's just as shady as DirecTV's counting method, but for the folks who accept DirecTV's word, they have little ground to call foul on Dish.

+1

#9 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

And those who call foul on Directv's number have every right to for DISH also.

#10 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

And those who call foul on Directv's number have every right to for DISH also.

Dish is ahead when you just count National HD networks too, by about 14 channels.

#11 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Dish is ahead when you just count National HD networks too, by about 14 channels.

Didn't say they weren't.

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:50 PM

These counts don't matter!

DIRECTV is launching D12 this fall and will turn on a lot more HD channels. The lead in "channel count war" will continue to change as providers find more bandwidth, so in the end all that matters is that you go with the provider who provides the best service, provides the most HD channels that matter to you, and that fits your pocketbook.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

DIRECTV is launching D12 this fall and will turn on a lot more HD channels.

The only thing that is assured with the successful launch of another satellite is more bandwidth. Additional programming is an entirely different matter and one that DIRECTV may not do anything about until Liberty Entertainment is acquired or the hemorrhaging gets to be too great.

Today's press release from DIRECTV would seem to be a pretty obvious blue light special for phone companies shopping for the third leg of their triple play.

#14 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

The only thing that is assured with the successful launch of another satellite is more bandwidth.

You don't add more bandwidth without plans to use it.

Additional programming is an entirely different matter and one that DIRECTV may not do anything about until Liberty Entertainment is acquired or the hemorrhaging gets to be too great.

That's just speculation, and I much prefer to speculate that the nice new birdy in the sky with all those transponders will beam down some magical HD goodness to all of us DIRECTV subscribers.

#15 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

..... That's just speculation ....

Apparently as was the HD rollout of more HBO/Cinemax channels by the fall of 2007 and "up to" 150 national HD channels with the launch of D11. I jumped ship from Dish Network to DIRECTV in '07, but in a scant year and a half, DIRECTV has made me twice the cynic I used to be. :D
-GA

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

http://dish.client.s...eleaseID=382837

Dish advertising they are now the National HD Leader with over 140 HD channels.

Now that Dish is in the lead with HD channel counts, what can we expect from Directv?

Do they count the part time game only RSN HD feeds as a channel.

#17 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

You don't add more bandwidth without plans to use it.

D11 has available "unused" bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Congrats DISH!

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

D11 has available "unused" bandwidth. :rolleyes:

Congrats DISH!

Unused is not the same as unplanned.

#19 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

Unused is not the same as unplanned.

And you know this because ..... ?
-GA

#20 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

My contract is over in October. At that point I will be giving Dish a very serious look. The HR2x receivers are horrible, I hear the Dish 722s are really good, and I don't give a flying f about football.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...