Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Network press release Over 140 National HD Channels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

All 3 of the big commercial sat launch providers (Baikonur, Sea Launch, and Guiana) have a failure rate of about 11%. As "routine" as satellite launches may seem today, the truth is that it is still a very risky adventure.

Exactly what I was pointing out. Everyone on this board acts like D12 is a sure thing. Heck, shortly after the AMC-14 failure, I remember seeing some accusing Dish of using an inferior provider to DirecTV, which just launched D11 on Sea Launch. Little did they know a few DirecTV sats have gone up on a Proton.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

And DirecTV's launch a couple years ago was delayed about 9 months due to a launch failure with Sea Launch, where a rocket blew up on the launch platform, necessitating extensive repairs to the platform (the sat was a total loss, of course).

No one wants to see a launch failure for either company, but no matter who handles your launch or which vehicle it rides on, your sat is always at risk.

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:19 AM

DISH LOST another 94,000 subs this past qtr.

DirecTV GAINED 460,000.

na na na na na. :hurah:

This is why the AMC-14 failure was such a bad thing for DirecTV. That satellite would have really put Dish in a super competitive position and would have kept D* on their toes. We might actually have more HD channels by now than we do if Dish's satellite wasn't a loss.

#44 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:38 AM

And yet the quantity vs quality poll was overwhelmingly in favor of quality. D* has pretty much every HD channel worth a darn, and several that shouldnt even be on the air since their programming is so lousy. I see interest on this board at least for some that want the travel channel, but there arent that many other decent national channels even available yet.

#45 OFFLINE   JayPSU

JayPSU

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:03 AM

Dish Network has no NFL ST, no MLB EI, and they don't even have MLB Network. That's a no-go for me.

#46 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

My contract is over in October. At that point I will be giving Dish a very serious look. The HR2x receivers are horrible, I hear the Dish 722s are really good, and I don't give a flying f about football.

That's good you don't give a "Flying F" about football. But many people in my family and myself included love Football in the fall and Major League Baseball in the Summertime. That Is why we will stay with DirecTv HD and we will not leave Unless Football leaves to go to another provider. Dish Network can send out all the fliers they want and advertise that they are the best and cheaper all they want. I'm not budging. I know who the best HD provider is and who will win out in the long run and it will be DirecTv.

#47 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

I switch a lot of people over from Dish.

The main complaints that I get from them are:

1) It goes out all the time. Granted, rain fade is what it is, regardless of the provider. So is the Dish eq. more sensitive to fade, or is just a lot of cases of poor installs.

2) Customers DO NOT like the odds of getting an off shore call center when they do have issues.

3) More and more customers are going above 4 tvs, with more of those being HD. This is causing conflicts with Dish' current "low rent" setup of feeding four tvs with two boxes. I think this is going to be one of their biggest obsticles.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#48 OFFLINE   ImBack234

ImBack234

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:00 PM

So true, if D12 does a crash and burn, I'll be calling DISH the very same day. That is a fact!!!

Anyone giving odds? :rolleyes::D

#49 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

Did they add YES-HD yet? ;)

#50 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

Has a date been set for the D12 launch?

I'm surprised that Directv hasn't kept up with DISH in adding WGNHD and TRAVELCHANNELHD. There appears to be a lot of interest in these channels. DISH also just added an HD version of LOGO. While I don't believe there is any HD programming on that channel at this time the clarity leaves Directv's feed in the dust.

Directv I'm sure picked up a couple of DISH subs in markets affected by the Fisher - DISH dispute which has been going on since before Christmas.

#51 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

Has a date been set for the D12 launch?...

Keep an eye on this forum's thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=134248
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall