Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VIP 612 DVR question.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaytin

jaytin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I trying to set up switch dp34. Signal from three sats 119,129,118.
After installing the switch do I need use a spliter to feed both (sat1-sat2)input at back the rec ?? Or I should use just one side of the tuner. (SAT1) only ??? Why rec have two tuner SAT1 and SAT 2 on the back side of the rec.I only have one rec in my apartment
Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Each tuner needs either a unique feed from the satellites OR if you are using DishPro Plus you can use a DPP Separator to "split" the feeds.

Mixed results for people who have tried to use only with 1 Tuner feed... but suffice to say even if you could do it, you'd not get the full benefit of the 2-SAT-tuners in the receiver.

Also, if you are only seeing 119/118/129 then you are going to be missing lots of channels (including some HD) from the 110 location.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   jaytin

jaytin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:33 AM

Stewart Thanks.
I just bought dp34,cuz dp44 or 64 is very expensive.
what sat has more or less HD ?
I read some where that using both tuner will useful to record and watch two different channel. In this case I need a spliter between dp34 and the DVR right ?

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

You can NOT use a splitter to feed another tuner.

Using the DP34, you will have to have 2 runs of RG6 from 2 output on the switch to the 2 tuner inputs. If you can't put in a second line, you can use the DPP33 switch instead, along with the DPP Separator behind the receiver. The Separator can't be used with the DP34 because the DP34 isn't a Plus switch.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

First, you mentioned 118. Did you really mean 118, or did you instead mean 110? 118(.7) is for Internationals, and you need a DPP44 switch to get HD and Internationals, because you will need to see 4 orbital locations (110/118.7/119/129). With a DPP44, you can run a single line to a DPP Separator and feed both tuners.

If you really meant 110/119/129 on your DP34, then you must run 2 lines from your switch, one to each tuner on the 612. It won't work correctly with just one line, and you can't use a separator on the non-Plus DP34 switch.

#6 OFFLINE   jaytin

jaytin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

First, you mentioned 118. Did you really mean 118, or did you instead mean 110? 118(.7) is for Internationals, and you need a DPP44 switch to get HD and Internationals, because you will need to see 4 orbital locations (110/118.7/119/129). With a DPP44, you can run a single line to a DPP Separator and feed both tuners.

If you really meant 110/119/129 on your DP34, then you must run 2 lines from your switch, one to each tuner on the 612. It won't work correctly with just one line, and you can't use a separator on the non-Plus DP34 switch.

I mean 118 for sure.

Can't I get enough HD only choosing two sat. These two sats must be between 11o or 119 or 129 ?

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

I mean 118 for sure.

Can't I get enough HD only choosing two sat. These two sats must be between 11o or 119 or 129 ?

"Enough" is a judgement call, but my answer would be "No".

Depending on where you live in California, your HD locals might be on 110°, 119° or 129° while your SD locals may be on 110° or 119. Regarding cable HD, for example TNT HD is on 110° while it's sister station TBS HD is on 129°. Premiums are similar, for example HBO HD is on 110° while the rest of its HD sisters are on 129°.

In the "Western Arc" you need 110°, 119° and 129°. If you need internationals, you also need 118°. And that is an entirely different setup than most California customers use.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

If you absolutely need 118.7, then you get 199 by default since the LNB required for Dish's 118.7 is a dual-band LNB that gets both...

You can choose, for the most part, to get either 129 or 61.5 for most of the HD. But, some locals are on one location but not the other and some RSNs are similarly on one but not the other.

Lastly, the 110 location has a handful of HD as well including some of the good ones.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't know if Dish will activate you unless you can see all the locations required for a particular package. I seem to remember this being a problem, because IF they did allow you to activate without seeing (for example 110) then they open the door for you to complain "I'm not getting all that I'm paying for" and they don't want to open that door.

Others beat me to addressing the issue with your DP34 switch. As mentioned, you'll need either a DPP33 or DPP44 to do what you want... and really you need the DPP44 because you really need 110/118/119/129 if you need the 118.7 location.

FYI, this would be much cheaper if you signed up with Dish and let them install everything.. because things like those expensive switches would be included with the install price.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall