Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's the fnial word on having a phone connection?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jzinckgra

jzinckgra

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am all set up for an install at the end of the month. Only need one 722 RX, which will fee my HDTV and SD. My router will be nowheres near the RX, so I was looking at the Netgear Wall-Plugged Ethernet Bridges, but at $100 for two and some horror stories of the units burning up and getting hot (uhh, fire hazard), what are my options?
There's no wifi on the 722 nor even the ability to plug a wifi USB unit like my Tivo box, right?
I read here that if you only have one HD DVR box, then D* doesn't charge you the $5/month. So what is the final word on this? Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Requirement is to have either a phoneline OR network (ethernet) connection so your dual tuner DVR can send in PPVs, etc.

There is a charge ($5) for the 2nd tuner access, waived if the above is met.

The 722 will do network over the powerline (they call it DishComm), but you need a powerline to ethernet converter at the other end to connect to your router. You could also use the wireless bridges that plug into ethernet as well.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:34 PM

Actually, the first TV2 fee is waived if the customer enrolls in the DVR Advantage promotion.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   jzinckgra

jzinckgra

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Actually, the first TV2 fee is waived if the customer enrolls in the DVR Advantage promotion.

That's what I enrolled in I think. Digital Home Advantage. So the fee is waived? If so, how's the box going to communicate with D*. We won't have a landline, so only ethernet would be possible, but I don't want to use wired bridge do-dads.

#5 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

That's what I enrolled in I think. Digital Home Advantage. So the fee is waived? If so, how's the box going to communicate with D*. We won't have a landline, so only ethernet would be possible, but I don't want to use wired bridge do-dads.

DVR advantage and Digital Home plan are two different services, in your case the fee is not waived. If you have dsl, hook up an eithernet cord from the router to the receiver and setup broadband connection on the receiver (press menu; system setup; installation, broadband setup; network setup; reset connection; done.)

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

If your 722 started communicating with D* it might be suspected of treason. ;)

D* = DirecTV
E* = EchoStar, creator of Dish Network

The only actual need for connecting with the mother ship is to report PPV purchases and to get your account information for some of the customer service apps under Dish Home.

Also, per http://www.dishnetwo...e/billing/fees/
"Your first Duo receiver connection is FREE for two TVs with DishDVRAdvantage"
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

D* = DirecTV

The only actual need for connecting with the mother ship is to report PPV purchases and to get your account information for some of the customer service apps under Dish Home.

I have a 722 and a 501. I don't need a phone line connected?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Per the Residential Customer Agreement you do, but with only 2 receivers you're not likely to be bothered by the audit team. The 722 should be your primary receiver, so with DVR-A you won't have the TV2 connection fee.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#9 OFFLINE   jzinckgra

jzinckgra

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

D* = DirecTV

yeah sorry, I meant E*. Ok, so it looks like I don't have to have my 722 connected via ethernet since, that will be my only RX, which will also control a 2nd SDTV. But, what if I want to order movies, then I would have to have the connection right? Would that be the same as PPV? I usually associate PPV with prize fights, wrestling, etc, which I never watch anyways.

#10 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:01 AM

if you want to order PPV, you can order through the Dish website, without having the phone connection.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...