Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Premium channels versus netflix

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:33 AM

I made a decision today. After looking for the past few weeks, i've noticed that there is nothing on the premium channels that is NOT on netflix. Not only that, but most things also pop in for instant play. I bought a roku a few months ago, and if you have enough bandwidth, you can download HD content that's as good as premium channels provide.

Unfortunatelly not all movies are available for instant play. but for 8 bucks a month i get unlimited instant movies. So it's clearly a better value.

Has anyone else done this or thought about it?

EDIT: i should clarify this. the Roku only plays at 720. so if you're a 1080 die hard it wouldn't be for you

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:53 AM

You're right about cost, but I'd rather have HD premiums than upconverted DVDs (the number of titles for BluRay is too limited). I'll stick to AEP/HD. My trial with Netflix was underwhelming. :D

#3 OFFLINE   kpaustin

kpaustin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

We have Classic Gold HD with the German package and two Samsung Blue Ray players (BDP-2500 and BDP-1600) that stream Netflix. The 1600 also streams Pandora. We watch a lot of foreign stuff which is abundant on Netflix instant, and there are enough Blue Ray titles for now to keep us satisified. We have the ~$15/month (2 DVDs at a time + unlimited instant) but I could see scaling back to 1 at a time. The only premiums we have on Dish are the Cinemax $0.01/year ones.

Edited by kpaustin, 11 May 2009 - 09:09 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Yup that's exactly the same route I'm talking about. i don't have the 2500's yet but I will. It just makes more sense.

The Netflix with one dvd and unlimted instant is plenty for me, and the roku now plays amazon.com videos too.

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:21 PM

I made a decision today. After looking for the past few weeks, i've noticed that there is nothing on the premium channels that is NOT on netflix. ... a month i get unlimited instant movies. So it's clearly a better value.
Has anyone else done this or thought about it? ...

I do just this. I have an X-box 360 that has the installed Netflix software that permits viewing of the Netflix On-line content. The video quality is at least DVD (480p) and there is only about a 10 second wait before the viewing commences.

There are actually movies that are not available from Netflix on DVD but that are available for www viewing. We watch a lot of DVD's - 4 to 6 a week - and that coupled with the fact that Netflix makes some of the HBO/Showtime series available has allowed me to not pay for premium channels, yet enjoy some of their offerings. (The Tudors, The Wire, Deadwood, Dexter, John from Cincinnati , etc, etc. )

$14.83 a month gets me Two DVDs at a time and all of the www viewing I can handle in addition.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 09 May 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   manta07

manta07

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

...Has anyone else done this or thought about it?..

I have Dish and used to have all the premium channels ($33/m). A couple of years ago, I noticed that they play new movies only once a week, which means 4 new movies a month. The rest of the week was re-runs of older movies which I had seen already.

I decided to cancel them all and get the Netflix 3-Movie package ($17/m) With Netflix which gives me about 10-12 new movies a month AND - These are all movies that I picked. I don't really care much about the PlayNow because it doesn't have good quality (even for SD) so I just get the DVD's, although I do have the MyNetflix plug-in on my Media Center.

I think you can't go wrong with this approach.

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

... I don't really care much about the PlayNow because it doesn't have good quality (even for SD) so I just get the DVD's, although I do have the MyNetflix plug-in on my Media Center. ...

I would simply point out that the quality of the video is in part a function of the speed of your www connection and also to an extent the abilities of your TV. I have a very high speed www connection - fiber optic by Fios - and a high end TV - Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD (Which has been ISF Calibrated.).

The streamed Netflix video and sound quality is equal to or better than DVD.

#8 OFFLINE   STEELERSRULE

STEELERSRULE

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

The Netflix with one dvd and unlimted instant is plenty for me, and the roku now plays amazon.com videos too.

Not to be a killjoy(I have the EXACT same type of rental agreement with Netflix as you do), but Netflix will "soon" begin to make their DVD/Blu-Ray rental package separate from it's streaming package.

When? I have no idea. But it will be soon(Jan. 2010?). That I am sure of.

So $10.99 for 1-unlimited month of Blu-Ray/DVD and unlimited streaming is awesome, I agree. But this will change soon, and the price for BOTH will go up alot IMHO, and it will be separated. It always happens. :)

#9 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:13 AM

where did you get the information that they're going to split this and charge more?

#10 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

where did you get the information that they're going to split this and charge more?

Netflix has publicly said they see the future of movie viewing online and se an end to their primary business - mailing movies back and forth. This leads to the logical conclusion that they will have aseparate charge for the online viewing which is currently free. The main problem I currently see is a lack of online titles. If they can strike deals with the movie industry to dramatically increase titles, this will be a great service. By partnering with DVD makers to watch movies streaming and the current Roku box, they getting more and more users. When they do switch to online charging, I think people will be willing to pay for it if they have the titles.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

I made a decision today. After looking for the past few weeks, i've noticed that there is nothing on the premium channels that is NOT on netflix. Not only that, but most things also pop in for instant play. I bought a roku a few months ago, and if you have enough bandwidth, you can download HD content that's as good as premium channels provide.

Unfortunatelly not all movies are available for instant play. but for 8 bucks a month i get unlimited instant movies. So it's clearly a better value.

Has anyone else done this or thought about it?

EDIT: i should clarify this. the Roku only plays at 720. so if you're a 1080 die hard it wouldn't be for you

It's easier for me to subscribe to HBO,STARZ due to my disability. But I see your point.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:36 PM

The premium channels make no financial sense if your only objective is to watch movies. I don't subscribe for movies, I subscribe for the original programming such as those listed for HBO, Showtime, and now Starz. Being able to see this programming when it is new along with the movies makes it worthwhile.

Cinemax for a penny, however, is worth every...penny.

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:26 AM

I can't get DSL at my house so no streaming. I have Netflix and premiums, but if I had to choose, I would definitely go with premium channels. Much less hassle than handling ten discs per week thru the mail and movies are brought to my attention that I would never think to order from Netflix.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:38 AM

... if I had to choose, I would definitely go with premium channels. Much less hassle than handling ten discs per week thru the mail and movies are brought to my attention that I would never think to order from Netflix.

Now my experience is directly opposite of this. By subscribing to Netflix I save tons of money compared to getting all the premiums. There is virtually no hassle in walking to the mail box at the curb that I have to walk to anyway. And finally, Netflix has an algorithm that takes my feedback on my viewings and turns that feedback into individualized suggestions for me. Netflix has exposed me to many TV series ranging from "Dexter" to "Mr Peepers" from the early 1950s.

I handle up to six discs a week and we have trouble viewing all of them them during the week. I can't imagine 10 discs on top of all the Sat & OTA viewing we do. (6 discs implies nearly a full DVD a night. :grin: )

#15 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

I handle up to six discs a week and we have trouble viewing all of them them during the week. I can't imagine 10 discs on top of all the Sat & OTA viewing we do. (6 discs implies nearly a full DVD a night. :grin: )

Movies are all I watch. I try to fit in three or four during the week and another six to seven on weekends. Everything from the 1935 "David Copperfield" to "Hostel Part II."

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

Movies are all I watch. I try to fit in three or four during the week and another six to seven on weekends. Everything from the 1935 "David Copperfield" to "Hostel Part II."

Cool! My wife and I are currently watching The Wire - Season 3. One episode a night plus 'regular' viewing.

Charm City looks like a tough place.

#17 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Well, I think for now, the netflix Roku is a much better value. i believe they said they have over 20,000 titles available. Whether that's true or not, I do know there is plenty for me. Plus I don't have to dvr, or schedule.

if they change the plans later, oh well, that's what change is. But for right now it doesn't make sense to me to keep paying over twice the amount for the premium channels. Of course everyone has their own opinion.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...