Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

difference between switchs ? sw34 and dp34

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

Battle Zone , correct me if i'm wrong. when we own the box, can't we sub to what ever we like ?

No. There is no ala cart programming on any TV system. You can only select from the programming packages offered. There are options, yes, but you can't hand-pick just the channels you want.

Look here:

http://www.dishnetwo...ng/default.aspx

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

Battle Zone , correct me if i'm wrong. when we own the box, can't we sub to what ever we like ?

No. Owning the box saves you a lease charge. That's it.

Dish has packages, plus a very few channels available for subscription as additions. That's why BattleZone stated it's cheap to have Dish do the install because of the level of new customer incentives offered. If you take advantage of all the incentives you do have to commit to being a Dish customer for a period to time which you may prefer to avoid.

The reality is that the corporations that each own their own group of channels require Dish, DirecTV, and your favorite cable company to package them preferably along with others so that if I want to subscribe to News Corps FX channel, I also get stuck paying for their SPEED channel and LifeTime's Movie Network.

There aren't a lot of ways to opt out, though you might be able to get an international package and a locals package. But it's highly unlikely if you want some cable HD channels, some local channels, and some international channels that you aren't going to be paying for three packages that include a lot channels you don't want.

Owning a 612 saves you $7 a month, or $84 a year. Generally, it takes three or more years to recover the purchase price which is why many of us here don't recommend buying ViP DVRs. But sometimes you can get one that works for under $200.

We thought you wanted a Classic HD package (one that includes things like cnn, cartoonnetwork , msnbc, foxnews) a locals package, and an international package. You are in California and therefore we thought you really need a Dish 1000+ (or a Dish 500+ with a wing dish if you have line of sight problems) using a DPP44 switch.

We're not trying to discourage the do-it-yourself here. It could be done and there is a chance you could find the equipment used, install it, and avoid a major commitment to Dish.

But commitment or not, you will have to pay something near $80 a month (ignoring the new customer incentives) for the programming packages containing the channels you seem to want.

#23 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Owning the box doesn't save anything on the bill - the total monthly charges are the same whether leased or owned. With an additional owned receiver, you can deactivate it for long periods of time if it isn't going to be watched (saving up to $7 for the receiver and possibly a DVR fee as well). While you can't pick and chose channels, an owned receiver allows you to subscribe to less programming than required with a lease. You could get just local channels, or Ukrainian Programming w/ or w/o local channels. Lots of the International programming is available a la carte, as are some sports channels, but as others have said, you can't just subscribe to any channel you want.

The $ cost of owning the receivers will usually exceed any benefit of owning, but the benefit only gives you some additional options. There is no financial benefit - you do NOT save any money from not paying a lease charge.

#24 OFFLINE   jaytin

jaytin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

No. Owning the box saves you a lease charge. That's it.

Dish has packages, plus a very few channels available for subscription as additions. That's why BattleZone stated it's cheap to have Dish do the install because of the level of new customer incentives offered. If you take advantage of all the incentives you do have to commit to being a Dish customer for a period to time which you may prefer to avoid.

The reality is that the corporations that each own their own group of channels require Dish, DirecTV, and your favorite cable company to package them preferably along with others so that if I want to subscribe to News Corps FX channel, I also get stuck paying for their SPEED channel and LifeTime's Movie Network.

There aren't a lot of ways to opt out, though you might be able to get an international package and a locals package. But it's highly unlikely if you want some cable HD channels, some local channels, and some international channels that you aren't going to be paying for three packages that include a lot channels you don't want.

Owning a 612 saves you $7 a month, or $84 a year. Generally, it takes three or more years to recover the purchase price which is why many of us here don't recommend buying ViP DVRs. But sometimes you can get one that works for under $200.

We thought you wanted a Classic HD package (one that includes things like cnn, cartoonnetwork , msnbc, foxnews) a locals package, and an international package. You are in California and therefore we thought you really need a Dish 1000+ (or a Dish 500+ with a wing dish if you have line of sight problems) using a DPP44 switch.

We're not trying to discourage the do-it-yourself here. It could be done and there is a chance you could find the equipment used, install it, and avoid a major commitment to Dish.

But commitment or not, you will have to pay something near $80 a month (ignoring the new customer incentives) for the programming packages containing the channels you seem to want.

Thanks phrelin. I really know what you trying to explain me here.

But the problem is I like to pause and restart . Not only this, time to time I would like to turn off engilsh channels and keep international only. They won't let you if you in contract right ? when I'm away. dish people easily can pause my account or downgrade for free. Thats the main reason I chose the way. Anyway, Now i have decided to have two sats only> that won't make big mess.specially when I'm connecting one recr only.
You mention about classic HD package what sat that is on ? I will point that and 118 only.
I thank you very much again.

#25 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:39 PM

Do you want HD locals and if so, which DMA are you located in: Bakersfield 129°, Chico/Redding 129°, El Centro (Yuma, AZ) SD only, Fresno 129°, Los Angeles 129°, Medford (OR) SD only, Monterey/Salinas 129°, Palm Springs, Reno (NV) 129°, Sacramento 110°, San Diego 110°, San Francisco 119°, or Santa Barbara 129°. Links to maps showing these can be found here. Just scroll down to California.

If HD locals aren't important to you or you are in one of the few on 110° or 119°, then you could do a Dish+ setup to get 110°, 118° and 119°. You would not be able to get the HD programming on 129° which if you can see here by scrolling down the channel numbers from 9400 down.

#26 OFFLINE   jaytin

jaytin

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Do you want HD locals and if so, which DMA are you located in: Bakersfield 129°, Chico/Redding 129°, El Centro (Yuma, AZ) SD only, Fresno 129°, Los Angeles 129°, Medford (OR) SD only, Monterey/Salinas 129°, Palm Springs, Reno (NV) 129°, Sacramento 110°, San Diego 110°, San Francisco 119°, or Santa Barbara 129°. Links to maps showing these can be found here. Just scroll down to California.

If HD locals aren't important to you or you are in one of the few on 110° or 119°, then you could do a Dish+ setup to get 110°, 118° and 119°. You would not be able to get the HD programming on 129° which if you can see here by scrolling down the channel numbers from 9400 down.

pherlin, i,m in manteca california.It is south of scaramento ca. locals not important.You info says under scaramento it is 110 but I heard HD are on 129.

#27 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

pherlin, i,m in manteca california.It is south of scaramento ca. locals not important.You info says under scaramento it is 110 but I heard HD are on 129.

As I noted in an earlier post on this thread, which you quoted, the HD signals are spread across 129 and 110. You need both sats to get all the HD channels.

#28 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

According to the information on the Echostar Knowledge Base Channel Chart both the HD and SD locals for Sacramento are on 110°.

The 500+ setup will get you 118.7°, 119°, and 110°. You can go to the Dish Tech Portal site on the 500 dishes and click on the 500+ and then the various sublinks to get the basic info you need.

Without 129° you will not get the HD channels you mentioned (cnn, cartoonnetwork , msnbc, foxnews). But a Classic Bronze ($34.99/mo) with HD ($10.00/mo) and locals ($5.00/mo) package along with your internationals ($?.??) would give you what you want in SD plus a fair amount of programming in HD. It's not what I'd recommend for most people, but since you have the HD box and apparently your household is mostly interested in certain internationals, you'd be receiving a good package of programming.

Edited by phrelin, 12 May 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...