Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1080p PPV Online Ordering Confusion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DBordello

DBordello

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

I today saw a movie that I would like to watch in the "Top Movies". I attempted to play it, it would not let me order with the remote since I do not have a phone/internet line connected (fair enough).

The on-screen directions prompted me to visit the website to order it. I did so, for the exact same movie title. However the HD PPV channel was authorized, the 1080p recording was not.

I am on the phone with Directv right now, but I am pretty much spinning my wheels. They have no idea what the 1080p PPV is.

Thoughts, who I should talk to, etc?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

I didn't think DirecTV was providing 1080p movies via PPV yet.
Only with On Demand. However, I think the Top Movies are loaded via the internet. But, without an internet connection you can't get it.

But then I could be wrong as per this thread.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=157796
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   DBordello

DBordello

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

This box was connected to the internet in the recent past. Perhaps it downloaded the 1080p PPV then.

After 25 minutes on the phone I gave up. Explaining 1080i verses 1080p to the CSRs is worthless. I wasn't convinced they knew about the prerecorded PPVs yet.

Very frustrating.

#4 OFFLINE   DBordello

DBordello

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

What is required is getting them to send the authorization for the 1080p automatically recorded PPV down the sat.

I did find a separate 1080p item on the Directv website. However, purchase doesn't seem to be an option.

I am wondering if I am stuck in that happy place of having the PPV, however unable to get it authorized.

#5 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Top Movies are not downloaded over the internet. They are pushed over the satellite in real time and recorded on a reserved section of the hard drive.

#6 OFFLINE   DBordello

DBordello

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

So the question is, is there a way to authorize them remotely?

#7 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

try saying you want to order a movie in movies now / top movies online?

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

No, there isn't. You must have a phone or Internet connection to authorize them. You can authorize normal PPV channels online or via phone, but not Top Movies.

#9 OFFLINE   DBordello

DBordello

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

This is good to know. I am sure I am not the only one fooled by the information on the receiver stating to order online. This obviously should be fixed.

Also, the CSRs need to be better educated. They don't even know what top movies are. Do these people even use this equipment?

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Also, the CSRs need to be better educated. They don't even know what top movies are. Do these people even use this equipment?

Yes they do one once told me that I needed the sports pack to get my RSN alt in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

Many of them have never even seen a DirecTV receiver. They don't get a free account or anything, and for most, it's just a job. They follow their scripts and can solve most issues that way, but anything that isn't well documented is going to be beyond their ability in most cases.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewpidity

Stewpidity

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:24 AM

I had a similar issue over the weekend, they were/are having issues with the top movies/on demand authorization. After trying to watch a "Top Movie" I was getting a blue box telling me to call to watch it, I called but they could not figure it out why, so she told me to reset the box, well once I did that the Top Movies changed and the movie we wanted to watch was gone, so no luck.

So decided to just download it over night to watch Saturday, tried to watch it but had the same Blue Box over 1/3 of the screen telling me to call or go to directv.com/ppv to authorize (not just the smaller blue box that asks you to confirm that you want to pay to watch the movie) So I again called in the morning this guy sent all new authorizations told me within 24 hours i should be fine.

Well that night i am aggravated this is still not working, so i called and got a CSR who knows his stuff, I was finally told this was a known issue and they are working on it, he tried a bunch of stuff, nothing, then he deactivated and reactivated my box, at this point i am not sure he did something else, but i then tried to watch the downloaded movie and the smaller box to confirm the charge appeared and we were finally able to watch the movie.

so, this is a known issue and they are working on it

Also, I downloaded a 1080P movie and do NOT have a 1080p TV and it played no problem

#13 OFFLINE   DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

I had a similar issue over the weekend, they were/are having issues with the top movies/on demand authorization. After trying to watch a "Top Movie" I was getting a blue box telling me to call to watch it, I called but they could not figure it out why, so she told me to reset the box, well once I did that the Top Movies changed and the movie we wanted to watch was gone, so no luck.

So decided to just download it over night to watch Saturday, tried to watch it but had the same Blue Box over 1/3 of the screen telling me to call or go to directv.com/ppv to authorize (not just the smaller blue box that asks you to confirm that you want to pay to watch the movie) So I again called in the morning this guy sent all new authorizations told me within 24 hours i should be fine.

Well that night i am aggravated this is still not working, so i called and got a CSR who knows his stuff, I was finally told this was a known issue and they are working on it, he tried a bunch of stuff, nothing, then he deactivated and reactivated my box, at this point i am not sure he did something else, but i then tried to watch the downloaded movie and the smaller box to confirm the charge appeared and we were finally able to watch the movie.

so, this is a known issue and they are working on it

Also, I downloaded a 1080P movie and do NOT have a 1080p TV and it played no problem

1080p will play just fine on TVs with only 1080i, the resolution just downconverts automatically.
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 42" 1080p LCD
HR21-700 w/ HDMI to Vizio 26" 1080i LCD
Linksys 80211N Wireless Router
Linksys WGA600N Wireless Gaming Adapter for DOD & MRV
DOD/MRV & MediaShare w/ WMP11 & Vista Home Premium working just fine.
R15-300 w/ S-Video & RCA Audio

I do not give out proprietary information. All opinions expressed within this forum or in PM are exclusively mine and are not necessarily the opinions of any satellite provider.

spam firewall