Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox News commercials running long

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

Anyone notice that sometimes on Fox News shows that when returning from commercials the show is already in progress and some content has been missed? This has happened several times recently on different shows.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Anyone notice that sometimes on Fox News shows that when returning from commercials the show is already in progress and some content has been missed? This has happened several times recently on different shows.

I can think of two reasons why that might be happening. First, the commercial inserters at DirecTV's broadcast center may bee off time just a bit. The other reason could be a change in the break structure on FNC's side that DirecTV hasn't compensated for yet.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

This is actually quite a common problem, and not just with DirecTV. I've noticed "local inserts" playing right in the middle of shows on other channels' programming in the past.

#4 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

Yep, I've noticed this at around 6:20pm EST every night during Brett Baier's show. It's been going on for several weeks. Looks like the commercials overrun by either 15 or 30 seconds.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#5 OFFLINE   maltmyer

maltmyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've been seeing this almost daily during Glenn Beck's first commercial break. It used to be 5 presses of the 30-slip, but now it runs an extra 4 or 5 presses and the second segment has already begun. A lot of times the ads are for PPV.

#6 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

I've been seeing this almost daily during Glenn Beck's first commercial break. It used to be 5 presses of the 30-slip, but now it runs an extra 4 or 5 presses and the second segment has already begun. A lot of times the ads are for PPV.

The 11:00 PM Pacific feed is clean. DirecTV hits the network cue and does not overrun the first thirty seconds of Beck's B block.

Several years ago when I subscribed to Dish, the same thing was happening on O'Reilly. After several weeks, I got annoyed enough to email Michael Schwimmer, the VP of Programming at the time, explaining the problem and asking him to forward my message to the proper person. Within an hour, I got an email back from him that simply said "fixed". It was.

Since DirecTV seems to go to great lengths to insulate upper management from customers, I have no idea who to email or I would do it this time as well.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#7 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

I've also noticed it during The O'Reilly Factor at 5PM here in AZ for the last couple of weeks. It's always D*'s "moving" commercial that overlaps into the programming. I either called or emailed about this problem a couple of years ago and it was taken care of. I'm about ready to do it again.

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#8 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

I actually altered the D* commercial programming in an attempt to stop people from watching Faux news!! I jest, I joke, I kid, don't hurt me!! I also watch FNC every once in a while through my cable company and I have never had any issues. One would think that the networks and the providers would have something setup for any change in commercial timeslots, weird.

#9 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

I actually altered the D* commercial programming in an attempt to stop people from watching Faux news!! I jest, I joke, I kid, don't hurt me!! I also watch FNC every once in a while through my cable company and I have never had any issues. One would think that the networks and the providers would have something setup for any change in commercial timeslots, weird.

I beleive we have a confession!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...