Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HBO and Starz Offer on Dish - They tried to switch me to Direct

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

So I decided to sign up for the 3 month free offer above. I thought I called the number listed on their website - 1-888-825-2557 - instead I dialed 1-800-825-2557. Someone answered and proceeded to ask me questions about my account. They asked me what kind of receiver I had, whether I had internet access, a home security system..at that point I stopped them. They said they were authorized to make it worthwhile for me to switch to DIRECT. I explained that I wanted to add HBO&Starz for three months free to my Dish account and she said they were a third party DIRECT rep. They acknowledged I called the right number and offered to transfer me to Dish once I told her I wanted to stay with Dish. She then transferred me - to a 3rd party DIRECT provider.....

I hung up and called Dish on the regular number...got India and they signed me up for the 3 month promotion. I told them what happened. She apologized and said she was aware this was happening.

It was my fault, but that was pretty smart of Direct to do this.

Edited by finniganps, 11 May 2009 - 03:15 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

Well, that is pretty sneaky. I don't think you were actually talking to D* because D* does not sell home security systems. Probably some type of third party reseller. Still very sneaky none the less.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

Yeah, it's a third-party reseller. Seen that happen if you dial 1-888-333-3474; Dish's number is 1-800-333-3474.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

It was my fault, but that was pretty smart of Direct to do this.

It wasn't DirecTV, it was an independent retailer. There's always some shady retailers in any large organization, and this is a classic shady tactic.

I went to a Dish house one time for a DirecTV install. Lady let me in, confirmed the work order (upgrading to HD-DVR and HD receiver), told me where the old dishes were, etc. I'm in a DirecTV shirt and hat with a DirecTV sign on my truck that was visible from the front door. I brought in boxes with huge DirecTV logos on them and set them down where the old receivers were. After spending two hours doing the install and activating the receivers, I went to show her how to use the remote, and only THEN did she realize that we weren't Dish Network, there to upgrade her to Dish's HD.

Apparently, the Dish retailer she originally ordered from made it a standard practice to call their customers once their original contract expired and tried to switch them to the opposite service, so that they could get another full commission. They promised her a "cheap upgrade to HD" but never mentioned that it involved switching from Dish to DirecTV.

She was pissed that we wouldn't take everything out and put her old system back, but once it was activated, there wasn't anything I could do. And it isn't like there was any doubt I was representing DirecTV...

#5 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

The thing that bothers me most about this is they have my home phone and e-mail address now, so I know I will be contacted to switch. I'll need to tell everyone in the house to tell them to put us on their do not call list and that will take a while (overall it was a cheap lesson in dialing carefully). E-mail is easy to designate as spam.

spam firewall