Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sling for the iPhone

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:38 AM

There are rumors going around that Sling Player for the iPhone will get released to the Apple store tonight. The cost will be $29.99 and be Wi-Fi only (which really sucks). The good news is that the app might work with older hardware (Slinbox classic, AV, and Tuner).'

Click here to see a first look

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:51 AM

$29.99 :eek:
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

$29.99 is the cost of the SlingPlayer mobile, what is so shocking about the price? The one thing that sucks, is for that cost the product should not be limited to wi-fi only. If it was on my BB Bold, I would never have purchased the Mobile Player. If they are going to cripple the product, reduce the price at least for the IPhone people IMO.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#4 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

There are rumors going around that Sling Player for the iPhone will get released to the Apple store tonight. The cost will be $29.99 and possibly be Wi-Fi only (which really sucks). The good news is that the app might work with older hardware (Slinbox classic, AV, and Tuner).

Just a rumor at this time so let the speculation fun begin! :)

I "jailbroke" my iphone, so I have a way to use 3G for all "wi-fi" only apps.

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

$29.99 is the cost of the SlingPlayer mobile, what is so shocking about the price? The one thing that sucks, is for that cost the product should not be limited to wi-fi only. If it was on my BB Bold, I would never have purchased the Mobile Player. If they are going to cripple the product, reduce the price at least for the IPhone people IMO.

Just seems darn expensive when you already bought the product itself for quite a lot of money. I could understand maybe like $10, but $30! That is a lot considering you already have invested a lot in their device not to mention I dont know of many mobile apps at all that are that much.

Makes me even more happy with my Hava (all their software is free).
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#6 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

when Sling introduced software for phones they had a price of $29.99, they "grandfathered" in owners of the orginal Slingbox Classic that had registered the product. So some of us got lucky.....but after that the price has always been $29.99.

#7 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Any word on the HAVA products which is a competitor of Slingbox?

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Any word on the HAVA products which is a competitor of Slingbox?

I heard rumors of soon (Q2/Q3) but have not seen anything yet.

I believe last I heard they were still having trouble since apple does not allow low level access to the device.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#9 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

I heard rumors of soon (Q2/Q3) but have not seen anything yet.

I believe last I heard they were still having trouble since apple does not allow low level access to the device.

What is low level access to the device and why does Apple not allow this? Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

What is low level access to the device and why does Apple not allow this? Thanks.

Apple's App Store submission process is a farce. They will deny some apps for totally random and inconsistent reasons and apps will sometimes sit in submission limbo for weeks with no rhyme or reason. No streaming over 3G? Doesn't the Blackberry app on the same fraking network allow that?

Does anyone know if there will be a separate Sling Remote app that will let you control your DVR? Or is this your only option.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

You can already use the SlingGuide (or whatever it is called now) on the iPhone to schedule stuff remotely and there is a way to use as a remote for your Dish DVR from there. I don't have a regular slingbox to know if you can control a remote sling via that setup or not.

As for the app and 3G limit... I get the impression this is more an AT&T issue than an Apple one... that AT&T is trying to control some of the uses of 3G. There's been a lot of public backlash on their revised ToS lately that seems to impose all kinds of limits on how you can use your iPhone on their network.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:23 AM

I "jailbroke" my iphone, so I have a way to use 3G for all "wi-fi" only apps.

Yeah. I was never a big fan of jailbreaking but this might push me over the edge. Wi-Fi only is rediculous. This will give Sling and AT&T a black eye if true (no matter who's fault it is).

I'm hoping that at some point after launch day they will come to their senses and open it up to 3G. Only dreaming I know. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

#14 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Yeah. I was never a big fan of jailbreaking but this might push me over the edge. Wi-Fi only is rediculous. This will give Sling and AT&T a black eye if true (no matter who's fault it is).

I'm hoping that at some point after launch day they will come to their senses and open it up to 3G. Only dreaming I know. :)

The ORB app started out that way also. They went 3G pretty quickly afterwards. There is hope yet.

#15 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

The ORB app started out that way also. They went 3G pretty quickly afterwards. There is hope yet.

Exactly. A simple software update and this could become a non-issue.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#16 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

29.99 is a lot of money when you consider that DirecTV mobile version is free. I don't see why they should charge for this when many services such as banks, retailers, & even my insurance company have apps for the Iphone for free. It's not like you can use this app without there hardware.

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44
1 x H24

2 x C41

3 x RVU
SWM3-LNB

#17 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

I dont know EXACTLY what they are referring too, but I do know that for example some of the graphics subsystem in the iPhone/iPod Touch is not accessible directly by devs. The problem with some apps (sling had this too) was that to do the proper decoding they needed more access to these underlying systems than Apple was allowing. Sling obviously found away around it, and I think Hava was getting close as well.

This is just what I have heard though, but it is totally believable to me cause I know Apple has been very tight with what devs get access to.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

29.99 is a lot of money when you consider that DirecTV mobile version is free. I don't see why they should charge for this when many services such as banks, retailers, & even my insurance company have apps for the Iphone for free. It's not like you can use this app without there hardware.

There is alot more the SlingPlayer can do than DirecTV mobile....Like watch live TV....

#19 OFFLINE   Littledude

Littledude

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

There is alot more the SlingPlayer can do than DirecTV mobile....Like watch live TV....

And everything on your DVR. Best of all for me, the CCs transfer over also. Whatever your DVR can do, ie on demand (really working the internet with both these going at once), media play, or what-ever happens to be going on in CE, will go to your iphone.

#20 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

If the iPhone version is Wi-Fi only, it only adds to list of brainwashed AT&T/iPhone fanboys limited again by their pretty packaging.

My SlingPlayer mobile on WinMo and Verizon works just great with your dataplan on a $99 phone (Omina)... but that's not really what it's about, is it :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...