Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lost my job, question about packages

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

I just found out yesterday that I am being laid off (yea it sucks). I was wondering about packages. I currently have Choice Xtra + HDDVR. We do not have locals in HD in my area. I have an AM21 and OTA antenna for this. Would I still be able to get my OTA locals in HD using the AM21 if I dropped to the lowest package DTV offers (Family)? Can I still get DVR service on the AM21 or would I have to add DVR service?

Thanks for the help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

You should get your locals with the AM21 on any package and I would imagine that you must have the DVR service added to your account to be able to record sat or OTA.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#3 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

thanks for the reply!

#4 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

I have several TV shows and movies recorded. Will I still be able to watch these programs without the DVR service?

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

You need to ask DIRECTV what they're willing to offer you.

Be aware that HD Access and DVR service are a condition of your DVR lease so they may want it back if you chop too far down in scale.

If you cease to be DIRECTV's customer for any reason (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) or if you decide to disconnect/cancel/terminate your DVR service or HD Access fee (if you are leasing a DVR or HD Receiver, respectively), you must call DIRECTV within seven (7) days after the termination of your DIRECTV programming services, DVR service or HD Access fee, as applicable, to obtain information from DIRECTV necessary to arrange for a ground or air freight service to pick up and deliver all of your DIRECTV equipment to DIRECTV.

#6 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

I have several TV shows and movies recorded. Will I still be able to watch these programs without the DVR service?

I believe so. It would be a little different if you actually deactivated a DVR and wanted to watch something on it.

I could be wrong though. Never tried.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#7 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Earlier this week I dropped to the Family package. I just noticed this evening that all of my local OTA's are being down-res'd to 480P. I did a reset just to be sure it wasn't an equipment issue. Why is DTV not allowing me to watch my OTA's in HD? I currently have the Family package with DVR. I am using my own equipment (OTA antenna and AM21 that I bought)... This is b.s.

#8 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Earlier this week I dropped to the Family package. I just noticed this evening that all of my local OTA's are being down-res'd to 480P. I did a reset just to be sure it wasn't an equipment issue. Why is DTV not allowing me to watch my OTA's in HD? I currently have the Family package with DVR. I am using my own equipment (OTA antenna and AM21 that I bought)... This is b.s.

I am not sure what you attempted to do, but if you lowered it to Family HD, you need to add HD Access back on to your account. It may have gotten deleted. If you are NOT paying the HD Access fee, then you will get no locals in HD as that is part of the HD Access. It would be the same if you went with a cable provider who charges for HD Service.

#9 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

I just reread what you wrote. Is it possible your OTA antenna does not receive HD channels very well? I live in Tampa, near USF, and with an indoor HD antenna I get next to nothing. I don't know what your experiences have been in the past though.

#10 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

per this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...t=128527&page=5 DTV dropped the requirement that you have the HD package to get your OTA locals on the AM21. I do not currently have HD access. I do not see the benefit with the family package ($10/month to get 4 channels in HD). I will likely just cancel DTV at this point as I can just bypass the AM21 and go directly to my TV.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

per this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...t=128527&page=5 DTV dropped the requirement that you have the HD package to get your OTA locals on the AM21. I do not currently have HD access. I do not see the benefit with the family package ($10/month to get 4 channels in HD). I will likely just cancel DTV at this point as I can just bypass the AM21 and go directly to my TV.

I wouldnt trust what one or even two other people might post in an on-line thread. I'm pretty sure if you want HD, even OTA through D*'s equipment, you have to still pay for the HD access.

#12 OFFLINE   wipeout

wipeout

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

I wish Directv would offer a locals only package. I have Family Package and there is nothing on it other then my locals that I couldn't live without. How about a local package with DVR and HD access for say $20. If I could get all of my locals via OTA I would drop the service all together. I'm just tired of paying all this money to watch tv.

#13 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

DISH Network may still offer a locals-only package.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

For HD locals only, you can easily build an HD DVR, or buy one ready made like the DTVPAL DVR. Then you have a one time purchase fee and no monthly fees at all.

Edited by CCarncross, 18 May 2009 - 03:23 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   andy4theherd

andy4theherd

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

I have a HTPC that I used to record OTA before DTV. I really like the integration with the AM21 into the DTV DVR and program guide. I guess for an extra $10/month I would be better off going back to my HTPC. I've had DTV for over a year now. I do not remember signing any type of multi year commitment. I need to call and see if I have the option to just cancel my services.

#16 OFFLINE   Elephanthead

Elephanthead

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

I would cancel and pay the breakup fee, or try to get a discount for the HD fee for the next year. OTA is better anyway.

#17 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

I've had DTV for over a year now. I do not remember signing any type of multi year commitment.

Most don't remember signing the installation order. That being said, not all agreements must be signed. In this case, the legal team at DIRECTV has chose the term "commitment" as opposed to "agreement".

I need to call and see if I have the option to just cancel my services.

You can buy your way out of what is left of your commitment for $20/month remaining.

You need to call DIRECTV if just to find out where you stand.

#18 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

Unless they tightened it up, you could possibly go on vacation mode to ride the contract out, if one exists.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,741 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Unless they tightened it up, you could possibly go on vacation mode to ride the contract out, if one exists.

The way it works now, you can suspend service for 6 months, but the committment holds as well, restarts when the suspension expires. That is one loophole that they closed.

#20 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

The way it works now, you can suspend service for 6 months, but the committment holds as well, restarts when the suspension expires. That is one loophole that they closed.

Cool, thanks for the information. My info was 2 years out of date, to be honest. Is there a monthly fee for the vacation mode now?

It's still way more flexible than Dish, they will not pause at all, if under commitment, but you can get the Welcome pack for $10...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

spam firewall