Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Local Launches 5-13-09

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

Dish Network HD Local Launches for this week:

1. Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND - KBMY, KXMC, KFYR
2. Medford-Klamath Falls, OR - KDRV, KOBI, KMVU
3. Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA - WSLS, WSET, WDBJ, WFXR
4. Baton Rouge, LA - WAFB, WVLA, WGMB
5. Erie, PA - WSEE, WJET, WFXP

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   msdawg22

msdawg22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

I thought Tupelo-Columbus, MS was supposed to be on already? Any news on this?

#3 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

son of a frakkin' whore, man...still no cape g.-paducah market. It's almost lilke Charlie's playin' with us.
END OF LINE

#4 OFFLINE   Lostinspace

Lostinspace

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

where????? cape?padukah????

#5 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

where????? cape?padukah????

Cape Girardeau, MO - Paducah, KY.

Covers the Southeastern Missouri, Southern Illinois, and Western Kentucky market.

CBS and FOX stations out of Cape.
NBC station out of Paducah, KY
ABC station out of Carterville, IL (studio used to be here in my hometown of Harrisburg, but was moved to Carterville (about 35 miles west of us, along the IL Rt. 13 corridor, crosses I-57 @ exit 54) about 20 years ago) (broadcast tower is actually down south in the Shawnee Hills so that it covers a broader area, the very southern tip of Illinois is pretty hilly, so any tower north of the hills would be blocked to the south, so they put the tower up on one of the hills)

The reason I keep bitching about this is that the December Charlie Chat had this market scheduled to go active early '09 (presumably Q1), and here we are mid-May and still no dice.

So as for OTA signals, we can get the local ABC station, and sometimes the NBC station, but not the CBS or FOX stations. I believe that tower is on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River down at the appex of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers, and the NBC tower is over on the Kentucky side of the Ohio.

Edited by Lincoln6Echo, 12 May 2009 - 08:52 PM.

END OF LINE

#6 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

Dish Network HD Local Launches for this week:

1. Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND - KBMY, KXMC, KFYR
2. Medford-Klamath Falls, OR - KDRV, KOBI, KMVU
3. Roanoke-Lynchburg, VA - WSLS, WSET, WDBJ, WFXR
4. Baton Rouge, LA - WAFB, WVLA, WGMB
5. Erie, PA - WSEE, WJET, WFXP

Cant believe Dish still hasnt come to an agreement With Wbrz (ABC Baton Rouge)
They have been off of dish for over a year!!:nono:

#7 OFFLINE   brycekholt

brycekholt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

Any news on Twin Falls Idaho HD Locals? I got an Automated call from dish last week saying the HD Locals were up, but when I got home, no go. I called dish tech support and they told me my local fox affiliate was in HD, but it wasn't on my EPG. He had me do a check switch like three times, and after no luck said they would send it off to engineering for investigation. A week later no show on the HD's.... I checked the Dish Channel chart, nothing there.. .Is dish lying to me?

#8 OFFLINE   rickfromthesticks

rickfromthesticks

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

I finally gave up on the Paducah - Cape locals, I figured they'd never go HD. Fate, however, came to my aid with 911 addresses. I live in a county that qualifies for St. Louis locals, but for 8 years my address was for a town in a county that didn't. They never would believe me about where I lived, but with a new 911 address they now know and came out and set up St. L. HD locals and I still have the Paducah also. I now have about 12 or 13 local channels (some duplicate networks of course)!

Happy, Happy, Happy.

Rick
:D

#9 OFFLINE   jgurley

jgurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

The Roanoke/Lynchburg HD locals for FOX, ABC and NBC are live. Wonder what happened to CBS?
Hopper & 2 Joeys
42" Plasma
36" LCD
26" LCD
Salem, VA

#10 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

The Roanoke/Lynchburg HD locals for FOX, ABC and NBC are live. Wonder what happened to CBS?

Is Schurz Communications in a recarriage dispute with DISH?

#11 OFFLINE   jgurley

jgurley

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

I emailed Jeff Marks, President and GM @ WDBJ our local CBS station asking him what was going on. Here's his response:

It's simple. I have called them every day for three months to remind them that we don't have an agreement that allows this. I finally reached the president of Dish Network yesterday after three months of no returned calls from their programming department. Now they realize that we need to exchange some paperwork. Otherwise, they're illegal. They handled this with the other stations in town in their routine contract negotiation cycle. Our last negotiation was six years ago so HD wasn't contemplated in that agreement.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to get their attention. I think they finally got it.

Dish may have another story but it looks like things are in the works to fix this problem.
Hopper & 2 Joeys
42" Plasma
36" LCD
26" LCD
Salem, VA

#12 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

Thank heaven, no Ft. Wayne. I'll have to start watching network again when FWA goes HD. It will be awful when it happens.

#13 OFFLINE   bonzor

bonzor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

I thought Tupelo-Columbus, MS was supposed to be on already? Any news on this?

Nope :(

Dish's website says we're supposed to get WCBI in HD, but I sure don't :mad:

#14 OFFLINE   brycekholt

brycekholt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

NBC in Twin Falls is up now. Looks like all we got. Got another automated call from Dish Network and hey, it was no lie, we got something. Guess I can be happy with that. =)

spam firewall