Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How many Tv's can one dish run

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LRD3335

LRD3335

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

HI -

I know this may be a silly question, but I keep getting different answers. I have a house that will have 12 TV's thus 12 Satellite boxes - either HD or HD DVR. I have had one person tell me that one dish can run all of the TV's and another tell me that one dish can only run up to 8 TV's. So my Question is:

How many TV's and one Direct TV Dish run?

Thank you for your help.

Leslie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

Welcome.
Quick answer is "virtually unlimited"
MDU's with correct equipment can run thousands.

Confusion comes because a lot of residential installs now use a SWM-LNB.
There is a maximum tuner usage of 8 with that specific setup.

You would need a regular LNB with a WB616 multiswitch which would allow 16 tuners. If you outgrew that cascading WB68's or using splitters with parallel wb68,wb616 or SWM-8 units are options.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

Yep, with the right equipment in terms of multiswitches and such you can run as many as you want.

What the person that told you 8 may be thinking about is that once you get to 8-9 boxes or so DirecTV may audit you to ensure you're not actually running a bar or something. Probably rare but it does happen.

But technically no, there is no limit.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Having 12 boxes active will be quite expensive, 11 x $5 mirroring fee = $55 more per month. You may want to think about which TVs could share a receiver. The shared receiver(s) can be controlled using IR repeaters or via RF.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:59 PM

Tech buddy of mine has been in a mansion with 26 IRDs. With MFH2 and MFH3 there are almost no limits.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

I've seen quite a few 10-15 box ones, another tech i worked with installed some big bar with 20-25 HD recievers (I cant remember for sure. He used KaKu5 and the power passing splitter technique into 2x 6x16s.. not sure exactly what you guys call it here but you know what I mean.
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#7 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

I have 10 tvs and only 3 receivers. I use 3 Harmony 880s and an IR distribution system and an A/V distribution system. It's a bit trickier to distribute in HD, though (and more expensive). However, my HR20 drives a local tv in HD via HDMI and my bedroom tv two floors up and over a bit using component via mini RG59 x5. I am also using the composite and s-video outputs on that unit to backfeed SD into my distribution grid so it is accessible to all tvs in the house and for PIP at the local tv. I did run out of cables to that location and had to get a little 'tricky' with the IR emitter and used an unused wire pair on the CAT5 telephone cable to splice into to feed the emitter back into the main system elsewhere. If I died tomorrow, nobody would figure out how this rube goldberg contraption was put together!

I am in the process of a major infrastructure overhaul and will be replacing my two beloved DirecTivos with HR2x units and an H2x. The H2x will drive a new HD tv in one room only and still serve video from the others via the distribution amp. (SD mono) I have two other HDTVs that will finally come online in HD with the upgrade, after some shopping at monoprice and wall fishing.

I have tried to keep my equipment located remotely in the basement to reduce clutter, keep it cool, and prevent theft (burglery at my old house...old habits).

I use ChannelPlus equipment, but I think they changed their name. You can find baluns now to distribute HD video over a single CAT5, makes new wire runs easier and cheaper than HDMI in some cases. Pull two cables, one for audio and one for video and you're done. Use the outputs on your receivers creatively, that's what they're there for...go RF with your remotes to reduce equipment costs and really think about how many different channels your family NEEDS to watch simultaneously, then reduce the number of boxes accordingly and wire them to tvs that are nearby...pair 'em up, triple 'em up, better yet NETWORK THEM (if you know what I mean).

I almost forgot to mention that my OTA is fed into my HR20 and back into the grid for those times when I get a little rain fade...

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

I have 12 receivers here, 2 swm8's and 2 wb68's all ran in parallel.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

I don't mean to bump this thread, but I'm curious as to what's keeping the OP away?
And what was done?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...