Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: DISH Network to Carry Racetrack Television Network Subscription Pac

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'm sure someone is interested in this: :sure:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 13, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) today announced that it has entered into a long-term agreement with Racetrack Television Network (RTN) and HorseRacing TV (HRTV) for the creation of a subscription racing package. The subscription package will be offered to DISH Network® subscribers under the brand name "Racetrack Television Network," and will consist of up to 80 channels of live thoroughbred, quarterhorse, harness and greyhound racing.

Each racetrack in the package will have its own dedicated channel, allowing viewers to watch the same live, uninterrupted simulcast feed as is shown in commercial wagering establishments. The simulcast feed will include full wagering information, paddock shots, and post parades. Depending upon the time of year and the number of racetracks operating the package will include as many as 700 live races daily. DISH Network subscribers will be able to watch all of the exciting racing action for the everyday low price of $49.99 per month.

In addition to the 80 channel package, DISH Network viewers will have the opportunity to subscribe to a "Best of RTN" package. The "Best of RTN" package will consist of the live simulcast feeds of 12 of the top RTN racetracks running at any given time. The "Best of RTN" package will cost $29.99 per month.

Both the 80 channel and "Best Of RTN" packages are expected to launch in September, 2009

As part of the agreement announced today, HRTV and DISH Network have entered into a long-term extension of HRTV's carriage arrangement on DISH Network. HRTV and RTN will work cooperatively to market and promote the subscription package.

"With the recent running of the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes around the corner, we are all reminded of the popularity of horse racing," said Michael Kelly, Executive Vice President of DISH Network. "We are pleased to be able to offer DISH Network subscribers the most complete package of racing content available in the marketplace."

"This new arrangement with DISH Network allows us to greatly improve and expand the existing distribution of the RTN package of racing content," said Todd Roberts, President of Racetrack Television Network. "Through this new relationship with DISH Network, it will now be easier than ever for racing fans across the country to access the full-card simulcast feeds available on RTN. Furthermore, our relationship with HRTV allows us to market and promote both the RTN package and the sport of racing in general, in ways never before possible."

About DISH Network Corporation

DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the nation's HD leader, provides approximately 13.584 million satellite TV customers as of March 31, 2009 with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the DuoDVR ViP® 722 DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine "Editors' Choice." DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com.

About RTN

RTN (www.rtn.tv) is a subscription based television network that offers live, uninterrupted, full card simulcasts from thoroughbred, harness, quarter horse, and greyhound racetracks throughout North America and other parts of the world. RTN currently offers up to 40 channels of service via its private, direct to home satellite network for a monthly subscription fee. RTN is scheduled to launch an internet and mobile version of the service in September, 2009.

About HRTV

HRTV (www.hrtv.com) is a 24-hour television network providing wire-to-wire coverage of live horse racing action, as well as originally produced horse racing related programming. HRTV covers more than 70 Thoroughbred, harness and quarter horse racetracks in the United States and across the globe. HRTV is available to approximately 17 million subscribers throughout the United States.

SOURCE DISH Network Corporation

http://www.rtn.tv

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 698 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

80 Channels for Horse Racing? Considering a number of markets do not have PBS in HD this is a huge chunk of bandwidth which has been removed for future expansion. I guess with full MPEG4 this may not take up as much transponder space as MPEG2, but it does sound like a major reduction in future resource availability. I also suspect that these 8- channels are being beamed from one of their lesser used satellites (other than 61.5, 77, 110, 119, 129 or 148).

As fro horse racing, a number of tracks are already having a hard time attracting spectators and gamblers. Even New York City eliminated Off Track Betting and special Long Island Railroad trains to Belmont Park, for example. Are people willing to pay $60 a month to watch and bet on horse races in the comfort of their own home? I am not going to get into the Gambler Anonynous issue sthat this may raise as well.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

Looks to me like 'ole Charlie likes the ponies. Let's see, Dish used to offer TrackPower, a series of 4 premium horse racing channels until it folded, there was another set of channels dedicated to horse racing whose name escapes me, they were one of the first MSOs to offer TVGames, they have HRTV and now this. Someone give Chuck an 800 number to one of those gambling addiction hotlines.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Charlie would uplink a 24/7 poker network if it were for his own pleasure. Not sure he likes ponies.

It will be interesting to see where these channels land. I expect they will be MPEG4 on Eastern Arc and 129 or 148 ... and sold commercially to the sites that rely on these feeds for "off track" gambling. Those places usually have a small dish farm out back to get the feeds they need to run their business. With DISH's carriage smaller "off track" locations could open up with a single dish or one dish aimed each way for redundant feeds.

It is money to keep the company running ...

#5 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Sounds kinda cool but, we are not allowed to wager on horses by wire in Texas. So, kinda sucks for me. If I were to wager on these channels I think that the two we have provide enough races to bet on in a days time.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#6 OFFLINE   MSoper72

MSoper72

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

Just another channel to block. Come on Charlie. Give us something that we want, not this garbage. :rolleyes: :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   6tv's

6tv's

Mentor

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

This recent news really ticks me off !! What is it going to take to get HRTV on DirecTV? Can someone truthfully explain why we still don't have this channel, but Dish now has all these. TVG is not the only horseracing channel available. Is it too much to ask DirecTV to add this one channel? C'mon now year after year DirecTV refuses to give us this channel. Anyone want to help, maybe when NBA channel moves from 601 to 216, DirecTV can put HRTV in its old spot.

#8 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

RTN currently broadcasts from Galaxy 3C at 95 degrees.
This is the same satellite that DirecTV uses for International programming.

They use DISH Network receivers, although they require a bigger dish.

http://www.rtn.tv/
http://www.rtn.tv/pr...mming/faqs.aspx

I wonder if this means they are shutting down their own stand-alone service and switching all their subscribers to DishNet?
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#9 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

80 Channels for Horse Racing? Considering a number of markets do not have PBS in HD this is a huge chunk of bandwidth which has been removed for future expansion.

They already lease out Ka band on ciel 2 for internet broadband.

Its not like Charlie's just going to sit on empty space. Who could blame him? It costs a lot of money to float that thing up there.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

The amazing thing is that RTN is charging $99.99 per month for 40 channels, the new rate will be $49.99 for 80 channels (or $29.99 for "the best 12" at any time).

It won't be available until September on DISH ... I wonder if it will be on 118 (completely out of the way of Eastern Arc and Western Arc service)?

#11 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Awesome I'm there
DB8 OTA Antenna
Channel master HDDVR CM700pal
PS3
Netflix
NHL Center ICE Live streaming
Sony Surround
Sharp Auquos 32"
Sanyo Z2000 1080P Projector
114" custom paint screen
Onkyo SR-800 Surround

#12 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Sounds kinda cool but, we are not allowed to wager on horses by wire in Texas. .

You are allowed to use any of the legal horse racing websites based in the United States - there are 4 major ADW (advance deposit wagering) sites - and you will not have to succumb to the grainy video that the web sites offer on your PC.

If I was on Dish I would be there.

#13 OFFLINE   Aransay

Aransay

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:43 PM

tehy shoudl put them on 121 or 105 tehs lot of spae

fo sucha an x bigpaegua wing mighteb an option ofr hsoe inetres i doeny se ei as eomthing aminstrea ,
WAITING AXXIUSLY TO BE FIRST CUSTUMER OF THE NEW MEXICO DISH SERVICES RELATED: hoping t otest it soon

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

80 Channels for Horse Racing? Considering a number of markets do not have PBS in HD this is a huge chunk of bandwidth which has been removed for future expansion. I guess with full MPEG4 this may not take up as much transponder space as MPEG2, but it does sound like a major reduction in future resource availability. I also suspect that these 8- channels are being beamed from one of their lesser used satellites (other than 61.5, 77, 110, 119, 129 or 148).

As fro horse racing, a number of tracks are already having a hard time attracting spectators and gamblers. Even New York City eliminated Off Track Betting and special Long Island Railroad trains to Belmont Park, for example. Are people willing to pay $60 a month to watch and bet on horse races in the comfort of their own home? I am not going to get into the Gambler Anonynous issue sthat this may raise as well.

This seems like a waste of bandwith because many states don't allow betting. I wonder how much $$$$$$$$$$$S Dish is getting.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#15 OFFLINE   Nonno

Nonno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

What bothers me is we will probably lose the regualar HRTV, which covers enough simulcast already the way it is. And what is going to happen to TVG, will they eliminate the free competition?

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

What bothers me is we will probably lose the regualar HRTV, which covers enough simulcast already the way it is. And what is going to happen to TVG, will they eliminate the free competition?

I think HRTV will stay on Dish because they pay.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#17 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

If we live in a state where gambling is illegal, will Charlie let us "move" to get this service?
(Sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Watching the races isn't gambling ... this package will provide people with the ability to watch races ... twice as many channels as they can see with the current package for half of the current price.

Gambling is something else ... those who want to gamble would have to deal with whomever is offering a gambling service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...