Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will I be able to get DISH HD? Satellite Location Questions...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillY2KFRC

BillY2KFRC

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hopefully somebody here can help me out. I tried DirecTV recently at my condo and was unable to get signal from the HD sats. I got perfect 90+ % signal from SD, but HD would go out when the trees would blow. Which of course, didn't happen until after everything was installed, total pain. So, I VERY sadly went back to Charter Cable (ie: SATAN).

Now that DISH has Speed HD I'm wondering if perhaps the location of the DISH HD satellites will work better for my situation?

I can only put my dish roof-height thanks to condo by-laws and am in CT if that matters. Does anybody know if the DISH HD satellites are closer to the DirecTV SD satellites or DirecTV HD satellites?

I know this post is probably sounds pretty dumb, but I REALLY don't want to have DISH come out and spend a crapload of cash again like I did with DirecTV only to find out I have no line of sight.

Thank you,
Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

Most of the Dish HD will be on 61.5, but if you want Speed, you'll also need to be able to hit 119/110 so you can subscribe to Classic Silver 200+HD. 119/110 are on a single Dish500.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

What dish setup do you have? A 110/119 with 61.5 wing or eastern arc?
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

DISH offers Eastern ARC satellites that in New England give you a higher look angle than Western Arc satellites(110/119/129) or Directv's 99/101/103/110 & 119 satellites. That will give you a better chance of seeing some satellites but you probably need to make an installation appointment and let the technician decide if he can get you HD in your location.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

What dish setup do you have? A 110/119 with 61.5 wing or eastern arc?

He had D* but now has cable.

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

He had D* but now has cable.

God, really didn't read well.

Ok so yeah, either look at eastern arc which does look higher if LOS in that direction is available.

But I do think that with a new slimline3 D* is still in the cards as long as the OP is in the NYC DMA. Springfield, Hartford DMA SD locals are on 119.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,409 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Hopefully somebody here can help me out. I tried DirecTV recently at my condo and was unable to get signal from the HD sats. I got perfect 90+ % signal from SD, but HD would go out when the trees would blow. Which of course, didn't happen until after everything was installed, total pain. So, I VERY sadly went back to Charter Cable (ie: SATAN).

Now that DISH has Speed HD I'm wondering if perhaps the location of the DISH HD satellites will work better for my situation?

I can only put my dish roof-height thanks to condo by-laws and am in CT if that matters. Does anybody know if the DISH HD satellites are closer to the DirecTV SD satellites or DirecTV HD satellites?

I know this post is probably sounds pretty dumb, but I REALLY don't want to have DISH come out and spend a crapload of cash again like I did with DirecTV only to find out I have no line of sight.

Thank you,
Bill

:welcome_s

No, it's not dumb. As a new Dish customer, they will be setting you up for the Eastern Arc (61.5°, 72.7°, 77°). We don't really know how that will work for you, but I can empathize with the tree blowing problem. If Google's satellite maps are good in your area, you might try going to http://www.dishpointer.com/ and selecting those three satellite locations to see what the tree situation looks like, but if there is any doubt someone will have to come out to look.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   BillY2KFRC

BillY2KFRC

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

:welcome_s

No, it's not dumb. As a new Dish customer, they will be setting you up for the Eastern Arc (61.5°, 72.7°, 77°). We don't really know how that will work for you, but I can empathize with the tree blowing problem. If Google's satellite maps are good in your area, you might try going to dishpointer and selecting those three satellite locations to see what the tree situation looks like, but if there is any doubt someone will have to come out to look.

That link was a HUGE help. It looks like the Eastern Arc misses the trees from my deck, which the multi-lnb D* dish pointed right into.

I'm pretty excited now, I'm going to place an order and cross my fingers!

Thanks to everybody else that posted as well. This is a very good community here.:)

Bill

#9 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

which the multi-lnb D* dish pointed right into.

Not always an issue [ check attachment ], but good luck with the order.

http://www.dbstalk.c...15&d=1242251434

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

http://www.bytelive...._image.php?id=3

DBS dishes pick up the signal from 22.5 degrees higher than they appear to be looking, so that building is being cleared by a wide margin.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...