Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lafayette, IN becomes DirecTV's 151st market

video

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

As of this morning, DirecTV has added Lafayette, IN to it's LiL markets. The locals are only available in HD and (just like Mankato, MN) only one station-CBS affiliate WLFI-is actually in the market. The three other stations available are all from nearby Indianapolis, IN. The stations available are:

WLFI-18 (CBS)
WTHR-13 (NBC)
WXIN-59 (FOX)
WTTV-4 (CW)

It is not known if the ABC, MyNetwork or PBS stations from Indianapolis will become available via DirecTV in the future.

Lafayette is the 151st LiL market and the 125th HD LiL market provided by DirecTV. It is also the forst entirely new market added to DirecTV's lineup in 2009.

DirecTV's official press release: http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=384187

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Basically all they are offering is the CBS affiliate in Lafayette. The other three channels were already offered, because they are the Indianapolis stations.

Probably explains why they are offering it, even though Lafayette is a smaller DMA (189) than Terre Haute (DMA 151), which has no local channels, even in SD.

#3 OFFLINE   bagreene

bagreene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'm assuming they are just mirroring the Indianapolis locals to the folks in Lafayette (other than the Lafayette-based CBS channel), and not using additional bandwidth. If that's the case why wouldn't they mirror the ABC, PBS, and MNT affiliates that we already get in Indy?

#4 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

Congrats to them. As for Jackson, MS???????????

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#5 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:49 AM

I'm assuming they are just mirroring the Indianapolis locals to the folks in Lafayette (other than the Lafayette-based CBS channel), and not using additional bandwidth. If that's the case why wouldn't they mirror the ABC, PBS, and MNT affiliates that we already get in Indy?

Most likely Lafayette is already under the Indy spotbeam and thus the only additional bandwidth here is for the CBS station.

As for ABC and MNT, very possible that DirecTV simply doesn't have a contract in place to offer them to Lafayette yet.

#6 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

Basically all they are offering is the CBS affiliate in Lafayette. The other three channels were already offered, because they are the Indianapolis stations.

Probably explains why they are offering it, even though Lafayette is a smaller DMA (189) than Terre Haute (DMA 151), which has no local channels, even in SD.

Actually, no channels were offered in the Lafayette market before this morning. I used a Lafayette Zip code to check the local channel lookup page at directv.com last night and it said "We don't offer local channels in your area." Today, the same Zip code gives you the above mentioned channels.

The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

I think West Lafayette many have a Big10 football team which might help....but I am not sure of that :)

#8 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

As of this morning, DirecTV has added Lafayette, IN to it's LiL markets. The locals are only available in HD and (just like Mankato, MN) only one station-CBS affiliate WLFI-is actually in the market. The three other stations available are all from nearby Indianapolis, IN. The stations available are:

WLFI-18 (CBS)
WTHR-13 (NBC)
WXIN-59 (FOX)
WTTV-4 (CW)

It is not known if the ABC, MyNetwork or PBS stations from Indianapolis will become available via DirecTV in the future.

Lafayette is the 151st LiL market and the 125th HD LiL market provided by DirecTV. It is also the forst entirely new market added to DirecTV's lineup in 2009.

DirecTV's official press release: http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=384187

Why can't they do this with Jonesboro, AR, all we have here is KAIT(ABC), KTEJ(PBS), and a VTN network. I don't see why they can't add these along with the rest of the Memphis channels, I'm only about an hour from Memphis??

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

I don't know what the deal with them adding out of market channels is. On the one hand the law restricts them more than cable companies, which is totally unfair. On the other hand they are allowed to add significantly viewed locals from adjacent markets but almost never do.

I'm in a similar situation as the above poster. We only have two stations in my market but the cable company carries everything (and I mean everything) from the adjacent market in addition to our two channels. So why can't DirecTV? They already uplink the adjacent market but offer nothing where I am currently (Mississippi).

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

So, my DMA is 157. When will we be lit? He asks rhetorically. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   cohbraz

cohbraz

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

How about Columbia, SC? The state capital!!!

Greenville SC and Charleston SC have local HD, but not Columbia.
(1) HR20
(1) R15
(2) H23
(1) Samsung LNT4681
WB68 Multiswitch
Slimline Dish

#12 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:51 AM

I love these threads:

"Directv adds locals in Beijing, China"

WHY HAVE THEY NOT ADDED THEM IN OLD TOWN, ID YET??????????????????????

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

I love these threads:

As the person who maintains the HD LiL lists, I like to let people know when new HD markets are turned on. Until yesterday, they had NOT had locals in Lafayette, IN, so the fact that they are a brand new LiL market, and the first market in HD only, is news.

Oh, and as for Old Town ID, it has had locals from DirecTV for a long while now-it's part of the Spokane, WA market.

#14 OFFLINE   viperlmw

viperlmw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

I love these threads:

Actually, KLEW, Lewiston Idaho indicates on it's web site that it will be carried by both DTV and Dish by May 31.

#15 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

Actually, no channels were offered in the Lafayette market before this morning. I used a Lafayette Zip code to check the local channel lookup page at directv.com last night and it said "We don't offer local channels in your area." Today, the same Zip code gives you the above mentioned channels.

I understand that. I know you couldn't get those channels in Lafayette before a few days ago... I was just pointing out that it wasn't really a huge increase in bandwidth, because they are really only adding one station to their bandwidth. The other three channels were already on DirecTV's satellite, and on the same spotbeam, as Lafayette is only about an hour northwest of Indianapolis.

My point was the DirecTV must have decided to add an HD Lil in a much smaller DMA because Lafayette only required adding one channel (CBS) to their bandwidth, while adding Terre Haute's larger DMA would have required adding three channels (CBS, NBC, and Fox.)

#16 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

I think West Lafayette many have a Big10 football team which might help....but I am not sure of that :)

That would be Purdue.

#17 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

At least you guys get your locals. Salisbury, MD is 155 and D* has NO plans on bringing them on. Now that I have an OTA set up, I sorta don't want D* to pick up the market. I want to get my money out of the equipment.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#18 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:57 AM

MCGRAW-HILL! WHERE'S WRTV?

Anyways, it's kinda shocking DirecTV did this first but I can see why Dish is so limited even with the LIN TV love.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#19 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

The Lafayette market only serves 2 counties with the rest of the surrounding counties being part of the Indianapolis DMA. Can someone explain to me why WLFI-TV 18 isn't just part of the Indianapolis DMA? Other areas like Boston, MA inlcude New Hampshire's ABC station WMUR in addition to its own ABC station WCVB.

I guess what I'm asking is why are some small areas considered separate DMAs and others just have them as part of one large DMA. This has caused the Lafayette market to be without networks on satellite for years. If they had just been made part of the Indy market, that would have solved the problem.

#20 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

The Lafayette market only serves 2 counties with the rest of the surrounding counties being part of the Indianapolis DMA. Can someone explain to me why WLFI-TV 18 isn't just part of the Indianapolis DMA? Other areas like Boston, MA inlcude New Hampshire's ABC station WMUR in addition to its own ABC station WCVB.

I guess what I'm asking is why are some small areas considered separate DMAs and others just have them as part of one large DMA. This has caused the Lafayette market to be without networks on satellite for years. If they had just been made part of the Indy market, that would have solved the problem.

You'd have to ask the fine folks at Nielsen Media Research, who have come up with the Designated Market Areas for television ratings. They are the ones who determine the television markets.

spam firewall