Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

cancel account

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

We are very dissatisfied with certain aspects of our Dish system. There are some parts that we really enjoy. For instance we like the 722's pretty much.
When I was looking into Dish I thought I remember seeing some discussion about a 90 day guaranty. It may have been something the installer might have said now that I think about it. I had some apprehension about how the sending of the signals around the house. Does any one know anything about this I'm thinking about getting rid of Dish. There were some promises made that have turned out not to be possible.
Thanks Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bista-Buster

Bista-Buster

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

May I suggest getting the service packages and all the stuff you want, including contracts, in writing? If they alter from that agreement in any way, you'll win in court.

#3 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Unfortunatly the horse is out of the barn. Hind sight & all. Is there a 90 day guaranty?

#4 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

There is no longer a 90 day garantee. They quit doing that a few years ago. How long have you had the system? Some states have a 3-5 day cooling off law that can be used but for the most part if it is turned on you are under contract. Could you be more specific about the aspects of the system you do not like? We may be able to help you with some solutions to make it better if you have to keep the system.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#5 OFFLINE   solmakou

solmakou

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

Some retailers will give a 90 day warranty but I wouldn't trust them one bit. The only thing that E* has is if you purchase your own equipment there is "buyer's remorse" within 30 days.

#6 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:48 PM

We've had Dish 6 weeks. The sales people made some promises that weren't quite correct. The CSRs have been really good about trying to make thing right but some of the promises they just can't do any thing about. For instance. My wife is a real Brewers fan. She told me that she didn't care about too much just her Brewers and her Packers. I told this to the sales person and was assured that we wouldn't have a problem getting our games. Welllll that's not quite true. While most of the games have been on so far, not all, and some aren't listed in the guide, on the find my sports under the search screen, or on the Dish site. So we've missed a few. Also I know that under severe weather conditions we might lose our signal but less than 1% of the time. Though we've had some nasty weather the last few weeks, we lost our signal today with clear blue skies. I'll have to go at least 2 complete yrs with no interruptions to even get close to 99% good signal. We also get a lot of pixilating I was told that was not a problem with the new equipment. That's one of the reasons we left cable. Over all though there are some things I really like (722's) and big hds in the dvrs. Unfortunately these things don't mean as much to my wife as they do to me.
Can I buy my way out?
Thanks Jeff

#7 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

We've had Dish 6 weeks. The sales people made some promises that weren't quite correct. The CSRs have been really good about trying to make thing right but some of the promises they just can't do any thing about. For instance. My wife is a real Brewers fan. She told me that she didn't care about too much just her Brewers and her Packers. I told this to the sales person and was assured that we wouldn't have a problem getting our games. Welllll that's not quite true. While most of the games have been on so far, not all, and some aren't listed in the guide, on the find my sports under the search screen, or on the Dish site. So we've missed a few. Also I know that under severe weather conditions we might lose our signal but less than 1% of the time. Though we've had some nasty weather the last few weeks, we lost our signal today with clear blue skies. I'll have to go at least 2 complete yrs with no interruptions to even get close to 99% good signal. We also get a lot of pixilating I was told that was not a problem with the new equipment. That's one of the reasons we left cable. Over all though there are some things I really like (722's) and big hds in the dvrs. Unfortunately these things don't mean as much to my wife as they do to me.
Can I buy my way out?
Thanks Jeff

If your signal is going out and pixilation, then you dish probably needs to tweaked more than likely due to the "nasty weather" you have had the last few weeks. I've had Dish for 7 years and my signal has only gone out twice and both time have been back within 10-20 minutes. Once was during a blizzard when I couldn't see from my window to the parking lot 3 floors down and the other was in a monster thunderstorm.
Yes you can get out of your contract, but it will cost you somewhere around $200+ to do it.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:41 PM

You need to have your dish peaked.

What are the signal strengths on each of the satellites (Menu 6-1-1 and adjust the satellite column)?

I may get loss of signal 1 or 2 times a year and very little pixellation if any ever.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:22 PM

We've had Dish 6 weeks. The sales people made some promises that weren't quite correct. The CSRs have been really good about trying to make thing right but some of the promises they just can't do any thing about. For instance. My wife is a real Brewers fan. She told me that she didn't care about too much just her Brewers and her Packers. I told this to the sales person and was assured that we wouldn't have a problem getting our games. Welllll that's not quite true. While most of the games have been on so far, not all, and some aren't listed in the guide, on the find my sports under the search screen, or on the Dish site. So we've missed a few.

This part is in all likelyhood NOT Dish's fault. Sports programming is really screwed up, with networks waiting until the last minute to decide which game they're going to show, or switching them the day of due to weather or other issues. There's just no way any TV service can keep up with every one of those, and it's a frustration of sports fans (epsecially MLB) no matter what service they have.

Also I know that under severe weather conditions we might lose our signal but less than 1% of the time. Though we've had some nasty weather the last few weeks, we lost our signal today with clear blue skies. I'll have to go at least 2 complete yrs with no interruptions to even get close to 99% good signal. We also get a lot of pixilating I was told that was not a problem with the new equipment. That's one of the reasons we left cable.

Your dish will pick up 3 satellites: 110/119/129, 110/119/61.5, or 77/72.7/61.5. Most transponders on each of these 3 should read in the mid-50s to low 60s at least, on a clear day. If your signals are lower than that, your dish needs to be re-peaked. If they are jumping around, that usually means that you've got a tree branch in the dish's Line-Of-Site and the dish needs to be relocated. Neither is an acceptable situation, and if you call Dish, they will send a tech to fix the problem. (If the original tech left you his number, call that first.)

#10 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

Yes, you do have a 90 warrenty on the installation. Either call the installer if have the number or call dish but, do not let them charge you any money. In answer to your question, you can buy your way out if you so choose. Think that it is $12 to $14 per month left on your contract. If it helps any if you live in a market that get the packers, you will be able to see every one of the football games this fall. I agree that MLB probably has alot to do with the missed games.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#11 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

HI
Skies are clear and blue
Here are my #s, I don't know if tv1 & 2 are dif but I got them both.
Tv1 61.5 nothing then 51 then nothing next time I tried
72 46 don't have 72.7
77 53
110 52 grn bar then red
119 52 grn bar then red

TV2 61.5 56 most of the time on one test I got 74
72 46 don't have 72.7
77 54
110 54 grn bar then red
119 54 grn bar then red
Hope this makes sense to you.

#12 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

It would appear that some of you guys are installers, so maybe you can give me some input. I wanted the dish put up on my roof. The tech didn't want to climb up there. I have a 5/12 pitch with asphalt shingles. There are already 3 old sat dishes up there from previous installations. He and I went up on the roof to inspect the sites. He finally agreed to put it on the roof but only up as hi as he could reach from his ladder. I had to run the cable out to the dish from the attic. He didn't seen like he wanted to be bothered. I didn't want it on the ground or hanging off the fascia etc. I wanted it in as inconspicuous location as possible. If the dish needs to be adjusted anyway should I just move it where I wanted it and have one of my kid with a cell phone help me tweak it.
Thanks Jeff

#13 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

I am not an installer, but I have slept at a Holiday Inn Express, so...

My guess is that you have a Dish1000.4 and do not have 110 or 119, they show green momentarily when you switch to them due to latency on the transponder.

The 1000.4 is tricky to align, but since you have signal you only need very slight changes to azimuth and elevation to improve signal.

Without loosening anything warp the dish gingerly by grasping the left and right edges and "turning" it left then right to see if signal strength improves either way. (You may have to wait several seconds for the receiver to respond). Repeat the proceedure by slightly raising thd lowering the dish to see if minute elevation corrections will help signal.

Once you know which way to tweak you can loosen the bolts for elevation and/or azimuth and make permanent the very slight changes you tried before.

The 1000.4 probably has struts installed (supports from the roof to the edges of the dish). Larger dishes often have these to stabilize them in the wind.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#14 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

I also had a poor install experience and when the second tech came out to fix it he hooked the dish up to a sat meter. Just leaning against one side or the other of the dish would make the meter move quite a bit and he was able to reallign the dish in about 30 seconds and improve the signal by 20 points. I would call for a service call if it has been less than 90 days.

#15 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Is it unreasonable for me to ask dish to relocate the dish and set it up better?

#16 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

Is it unreasonable for me to ask dish to relocate the dish and set it up better?

If you can't get good signal where it currently is, no, that's not unreasonable.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#17 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

It is unreasonable since he insisted that it go where he wanted it located.

#18 OFFLINE   whessen

whessen

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

My wife is a real Brewers fan. She told me that she didn't care about too much just her Brewers and her Packers. I told this to the sales person and was assured that we wouldn't have a problem getting our games. Welllll that's not quite true. While most of the games have been on so far, not all, and some aren't listed in the guide, on the find my sports under the search screen, or on the Dish site. So we've missed a few.

Not all Brewers games are televised (most but not all). With Dish and DirectTv your RSN is Fox Sports North, not Fox Sports Wisconsin, and the games are carried on an alternate channel - and not always the same channel.

Also, some games are not carried by Fox Sports but are broadcast by WMIL, channel 41 - Milwaukee.

This is not a problem of Dish - it is how the Brewers have setup their telecasts.

Most Packer games will be on Fox (not Fox Sports), 1 will be on NBC, 1 will be on CBS Sports, and 2 will be on ESPN. This is an agreement with the Packers and the NFL - not a Dish decision.

You can check the TV schedules of both teams by visiting their websites. I keep a printout of their schedules by my TV.

Go Brewers!

#19 OFFLINE   woodeye3

woodeye3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

"It is unreasonable since he insisted that it go where he wanted it located"

What does this mean?

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

"It is unreasonable since he insisted that it go where he wanted it located"

What does this mean?

Did you select the location or did the installer?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

Protected By... spam firewall...And...