Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What's the excuse from MLB today? 12:05pm Cubs game N/A here

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

Today's Astros vs Cubs in Chicago started at 12:05 Central time. This game SHOULD be available to MLB TV subscribers as it falls within the guidelines of NOT being blacked out.

But, it's not.

Of course.

This is friggin ridiculous! Saturday Cubs games are rarely available here. When will the Fox/MLB realize that not only do we not tune in to the 2:55CST game, but we don't watch games at ALL! Remember, I'm paying to see the games!

So Fox/MLB loses out rather than being "exclusive". This is just backwards as a paying customer.

Luckily I'm able to listen to it on XM radio, but it's still NOT the same as watching them in HD, or at least SD.

What is the excuse this time for the MLB not delivering content to a paying MLB TV subscriber in a valid, non-blacked-out time frame?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

It is Saturday and there are never any afternoon games available. FOX is the only place you can watch a game on Saturday Afternoon.

#3 ONLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

It is Saturday and there are never any afternoon games available. FOX is the only place you can watch a game on Saturday Afternoon.

100 % WRONG. Watched Astros-Cubs on Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Dish Channel 429 from start to finish as we've been able to do either on CSNC or WGN whenever the Cubs start that early on Saturday.

#4 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

100 % WRONG. Watched Astros-Cubs on Comcast Sports Net Chicago, Dish Channel 429 from start to finish as we've been able to do either on CSNC or WGN whenever the Cubs start that early on Saturday.

that true for peoples who in the market of those teams, is CSN Chicago your home rsn.

out of market peoples who do not get CSN Chicago as there home rsn cannot watch out of market games on any RSN.

for me. i live in the Twins market, so i get to watch the Twins on FSN North. i am not able to watch any other games on other rsn becuase of the stupid fox rules. that state, out of market games on Saturday that start before 7 pm eastern, 6 pm central cannot be shown on MLB inning, and they are blackout on the sports package outside of the home team market or the visiting team market.

Edited by Unknown, 16 May 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

The only place for a potentially out of market game.

We had the Cubs/Astros here locally because our RSN is in Astros territory.

Interestingly enough, it's also Rangers territory and FOX didn't choose to show the Rangers game which was one of the "regional" choices. Instead they gave us Mets-Giants and Randy Johnson is already getting bombed in the first.

Almost all these Saturday Fox games have been blowouts this year, with no alternative available, which kinda sucks.

#6 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

I thought games shown before 1:10pm Eastern would be able to be shown on Saturdays? Thus the reason for the 1:05 Eastern start time for so many Saturday games this year...

#7 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I believe there aren't actually times involved... I think the rule reads that no game can be broadcast that could potentially overlap any part of the Fox Saturday afternoon broadcasts.

I thought games shown before 1:10pm Eastern would be able to be shown on Saturdays? Thus the reason for the 1:05 Eastern start time for so many Saturday games this year...

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#8 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Somebody posted good checkpoints about the rules like 3 weeks ago....maybe they will post back.

EDIT: Here it is:

The exception is viewing your Local market team via your local provider in the 1:00PM time slot on Saturday.

Otherwise an example for Cardinals/Nats game -

Washington Nationals can be viewed by in the local market only by viewers via MASN.

Cardinal fans in their local market can view them via FSN Midwest/FSN South.

All other markets are blacked out.

ERGO:
homebase - u arent in a local market so u are blacked out.

Edited by dcowboy7, 16 May 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:25 PM

I have both Broadband and Directv Extra Innings. Cubs game was on MLB version. Next year, I think I am just going to go with broadband. More games, more feeds and less stupidity.;)

#10 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

While I don't support MLB's archaic administration of the Saturday blackouts, it's amazing how few seem to grasp the concept.

The simple version.

You will not be able to view any Out of market Saturday games via the MLBEI package that start before 7:00PM. Nothing hard to grasp about that.

Archaic?-Yes

Vague or Hard to understand?- No
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#11 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:42 AM

from http://www.sportsbus.../article/123095

"And in the end, the goal is simply to have more baseball available for more fans..."

"The new measures also will not apply to national broadcasts such as Fox' Saturday game of the week."

Blacking out games at noon when a 3pm start time for the national game...ummm.er....how in the he** does this meet the goal to "have more baseball available for more fans..."

??

#12 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

from http://www.bizofbase...twork&Itemid=82

"National Live Blackout (Regular Season): Due to Major League Baseball national exclusivities, each Saturday until 7:00 PM EST (beginning May 17, 2008 and continuing for remaining Saturdays during the regular season) and each Sunday night (for games that begin after 5:00 PM EST), all scheduled webcasts of games played within such time period will be blacked out."

Yesterday was May 16. The game started at 12:05pm Central time. That means the game SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOWN HERE.

"Every Saturday, from 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET, all games are blacked out due to an exclusivity agreement with FOX, which typically broadcasts one game starting at 3:55 Eastern. "

See my point above.

Unless these rules are inaccurate from the link above, WTH is going on? Why were we blacked out yesterday?!?!?

#13 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

from http://www.bizofbase...twork&Itemid=82

"National Live Blackout (Regular Season): Due to Major League Baseball national exclusivities, each Saturday until 7:00 PM EST (beginning May 17, 2008 and continuing for remaining Saturdays during the regular season) and each Sunday night (for games that begin after 5:00 PM EST), all scheduled webcasts of games played within such time period will be blacked out."

Yesterday was May 16. The game started at 12:05pm Central time. That means the game SHOULD HAVE BEEN SHOWN HERE.

"Every Saturday, from 1:10 PM ET or before 7:05 PM ET, all games are blacked out due to an exclusivity agreement with FOX, which typically broadcasts one game starting at 3:55 Eastern. "

See my point above.

Unless these rules are inaccurate from the link above, WTH is going on? Why were we blacked out yesterday?!?!?

Because it's 2009

#14 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

Interesting. That article was written March 26, 2009.

#15 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

The fact remains that any game starting before 7:00PM East Coast time will be blacked out for all out of market MLBEI viewers.

Not sure what your point is about May 16th of 2008.

Only exception I've seen in the past are the Superstation exceptions for WGN and WTBS.

WTBS doesn't broadcast baseball anymore(except for Sunday Afternoons) and WGN does so less frequently.

Thus the White Sox-Blue Jays game was available per WGN at 1:00PM yesterday. I've seen the Cubs available during the 1:00PM Saturday slot also during the past couple of seasons via WGN.

The Cubs-Astros, Phillies-Nationals,Twins-Yankees, & Brewers-Cardinals were all blacked out for all out of market MLBEI viewers.

Not defending MLB nor trying to irritate you, I just am amazed every Saturday with the amount of fans that expect access to a out of market broadcast before 7:00PM.

It's not going to happen anytime during the length of the Fox Contract that runs through 2012 IIRC.

Edited by davidatl14, 17 May 2009 - 10:46 AM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#16 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:12 AM

But, broadband does not follow same rules. They show the 1:00 games on Saturday. It would be interesting if Satelliteracer was reading and commented on the differences in blackouts for the two.

#17 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

But, broadband does not follow same rules. They show the 1:00 games on Saturday. It would be interesting if Satelliteracer was reading and commented on the differences in blackouts for the two.

Yes, that was the case last season as well -- as many of us commented then, both out-of-market packages should be following the same blackout rules, but they don't for the early Saturday games.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Fox is just trying to tell ya'll its time to mow the grass, take the family to the lake, and turn off their channel.

#19 OFFLINE   homebase

homebase

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Fox is just trying to tell ya'll its time to mow the grass, take the family to the lake, and turn off their channel.

We did that today rather than yesterday :)

And with DVR's, we rarely watch a game in real time anyway. So that make Fox's exclusiveness to the Saturday timeframe even less important.

#20 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,177 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

it was 12:05 central time. by my archaic math, that means the game should have ended around 3pm central time or the same time the fox game starts. our fox games usually start either at 3:40 or 4:10 eastern time. central time is an hour earlier!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...