Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP612 Lockups and Reboots

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kskruser

kskruser

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

New member here - I've been "lurking" for a while, and previously had a trouble-free 508 / Dish-500 system for many years.

Just did the "Dish'n-it-up" upgrade to a VIP612 / Dish-1000.2. Software is L6.03. TV is a late-model Mitsubishi LCD, currently connected to 612 by component video (have tried HDMI also).

I'm seeing several problems with the new system. The main ones are:

1. Lockups - About every day or so, I have a complete 612 lockup. This has happened both during recording and during playback. If recording, the machine stays in record mode (red light on). If playing, the picture just "freezes". In either case, there is no response to any of the remote commands... a front-panel reset (hold power button several seconds) seems to be the only way out. After going through the reset process, all seems fine until the next time this happens.

2. Spontaneous reboots - About every two days, the 612 will spontaneously reboot when I am watching a DVR event. This happens when I am just watching, not touching any controls or turning on/off any other part of the system.

I've tried the "unplug-wait-30-seconds" reboot; the problems remain. The VIP612 is normally plugged in to a UPS - I've also tried powering with an extension cord to a wall-outlet on a totally different circuit. Again, the problem remains. I originally had the 612 & TV connected via HDMI, now component video. Same problems both ways.

My question to the group is this: Is this likely to be a hardware or a software issue? Also what other things should I try before getting into the Dish CSR roller-coaster?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

It's 50/50 hardware/software.

The 612 is not as far into its software life cycle as are the 622 and 722.

Having said that I would surely complain to dish and have them check out your install. Grounding problems can also cause the same symptoms, as can a flaky receiver.

Look at the outside install. Is there a ground block installed after the dish and is it tied directly to the house ground?
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

I have two 612s. The one in the bedroom has been pretty much flawless. The one in the family room is disintegrating. The frequency of freeze-ups and stutters became intolerable so I called Dish and a replacement will be here by Thursday. The only difference between the two is that the family room 612 is hooked up to the Internet and has a 1TB external drive hooked up to it.

#4 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Do you have a OTA antenna hooked up to it. I had problems until I ditched the OTA and stuck with it on my TV tuner.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

#5 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

No OTA antenna hooked up. Just the satellite feeds.

#6 OFFLINE   Big Canoer

Big Canoer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

There must be grounding problem with these receivers and everything points in that direction.

Dish Network had me remove the two RF connectors from the satellite to the DVR from the back of the VIP 612 DVR and to touch them to the back of the DVR to discharge them (touch both the center wire and the outer metal at the same time).

After I discharged the two RF cables, the DVR has not rebooted while I’m present (four days).

Dish Network says that static electricity builds up in the cables in stormy weather.

I scheduled a service call to look for a grounding problem, but after they didn’t show up for the first appointment and then didn’t show up for the second appointment, I canceled the service call. By phone the service person said to wait until the rebooting starts back up before calling them again.

This is my second VIP 612 DVR in 7 weeks. I can tell you that if you let the rebooting problem go uncorrected, it will cause other problems - like pushing the Guide Button only to have the DVR reboot.

Dish Network wants you to connect the DVR directly into the wall socket (no surge protectors allowed) – grounding problem?

They ask you to discharge the static electricity from the RF cables – grounding problem?

I could check for a grounding problem myself, but the installers of this new system (new antenna also) seemingly did a good job.

Any ideas?

Edited by Big Canoer, 04 July 2009 - 09:18 AM.
Better understanding

#7 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

If you are so sure that it is a grounding problem why haven't you called an electrician?

#8 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I have two 612s. The one in the bedroom has been pretty much flawless. The one in the family room is disintegrating. The frequency of freeze-ups and stutters became intolerable so I called Dish and a replacement will be here by Thursday. The only difference between the two is that the family room 612 is hooked up to the Internet and has a 1TB external drive hooked up to it.

Let us know if a new one helps. If so, I may ask for one.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Big Canoer

Big Canoer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

Guess I will have to.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

Update - the new 612 was replaced shortly after my 5/17 message above. Since then, other than the occasional stutter, my only ocmplaint has been trying to record HD sports, specifically Red Sox games on NESN HD via a DishPASS. All I got were 0 second black screens even though the listing said I had 4 1/2 hours recorded. I've since tried eliminating the 1-minute-early-start bit from the even and it seems to have worked. Guessing there was a problem starting when the channel is 'off' and it not picking up when it is 'on'.

#11 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,316 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

Update - the new 612 was replaced shortly after my 5/17 message above. Since then, other than the occasional stutter....

So you do have the stutter, but no freeze so far. Hope to hear that the lack of freeze continues for a couple of weeks.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#12 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:05 AM

The new 612 has not had a freeze/lockup that required a 'reboot' since I got it. The 'old' 612 in the bedroom has had about one freeze in the last 4 months.

#13 OFFLINE   garne2t

garne2t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:47 AM

I have been through FOUR 612 boxes from Dish, all replacements under warranty, and NONE of them have worked properly. All freeze periodically for about a minute and all have random skips of a second or more of audio/video. The box is JUNK!

#14 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:38 PM

I just about 2 seconds ago had a message on my TV screen that read the receiver will be shut down due to inactivity. Maybe hat is what I causing rebooting.

#15 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:38 AM

SeaBeagle, this is a very old thread. The problems reported are no longer an ordinary problem with the 612. It is a pretty stable receiver now. There will always be an occasional reboot of most any of these receivers.

The message you got has nothing to do with the rebooting problem. That message means you have the receiver set to turn off if you do not change channels or use the remote after a set period of time.

#16 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Inactivity standby can be disabled in the menu.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#17 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:34 PM

Inactivity standby can be disabled in the menu.

It is recommended to use the inactivity feature?

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

It is recommended to use the inactivity feature?

Not by me.

I find it slightly irritating to turn on my TV and see the "Press Select to Watch TV" splash screen - totally unnecessary.

It saves no electricity, it wastes time.

I have it disabled.

The system will still reboot overnight, download new guide data, etc. and go into stand-by at that time anyway, so I have it wake up with an auto-tune timer 1 hour after the nightly update.

#19 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

Not by me.

I find it slightly irritating to turn on my TV and see the "Press Select to Watch TV" splash screen - totally unnecessary.

It saves no electricity, it wastes time.

I have it disabled.

The system will still reboot overnight, download new guide data, etc. and go into stand-by at that time anyway, so I have it wake up with an auto-tune timer 1 hour after the nightly update.

I have mine set to enable for 8 hours.

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:30 AM

Just to be clear, the inactivity timer is to prevent burn in should you leave the TV on with a static channel. You will notice the screen moves.
Also, disabling it only prolongs how long the the receiver stays tuned to the channel. As mentioned above, when it reboots overnight it will go into the saver mode anyway.

As for wasting time, I guess it's the age we live in, pushing one button (Select, the biggest button on the remote) to instantly see TV doesn't seem like a waste of time! :)

spam firewall