Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP612 Lockups and Reboots

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SparkynMS

SparkynMS

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

I have a VIP612 and it reboots several times a day, freezes and skips. The reboot is whats the biggest issue. The problem started the day after the install and we are now on our 4th receiver.
1 tech support guy said its a grounding issue so I checked the grounds and the latest tech who came out and replaced the receiver said he redone the ground. I checked it and he grounded right on paint which to me isnt good. I went thru and used my rotary tool and removed the paint and on the other end removed paint and rust on the frame of the mobile home where it is connected with a beam clamp. I thought this would definitely fix it but it didnt.
They want to charge me to upgrade to a 722, pay for installation, and extend a 2yr contract which I find appalling for something that never worked right in the first place. I want what I paid for to work like its suppose to.
I also have a 722 which has no issues.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:52 AM

Based on what you described, I would be looking specifically where the 612 is being plugged in. Perhaps that receptacle is not grounded correctly. I would plug it in just temporarily where the 722 is, since the 722 you say is working correctly and see what happens.
One other thing, do you have anything else plugged in where the 612 is? If so, unplug it and see what happens. It is possible the Dish itself is not grounded correctly, but since the 722 is working, probably not the problem, though the 612 may be more prone to grounding issues.

I have three 612's that do not reboot unexpectedly, though I did have one that did it once in a while not often, and returned it, now have no problems. Most reports now are they are a good overall, so I would be looking to something in your mobile home, or with the installation of the Dish.

Edited by tampa8, 31 May 2011 - 05:57 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   SparkynMS

SparkynMS

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

The 612 is plugged into its own recept.
The unit resets at 7:11am, 1:11pm, 7:11pm and 1:11am everyday. Today when it happen I was able to do a 613 and there was a red X under the 1st Sat. Status told me to press details and in there I saw the times going back to the 28th when they replaced this 4th 612.
When I looked again everything was normal and status was good. Details shows no record of the errors like it did before. There must be someway to view the error history with some codes. I took a pic of the errors and called the tech. He came out later and replaced the dish or something outside. He tells me it should work now but he says that everytime and it doesnt. I will find out tomorrow morning if its fixed.

#24 OFFLINE   SparkynMS

SparkynMS

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

The problem is still happening. Whatever he changed outside didnt effect the reset issue. He swore up and down that it would work this time.

#25 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

The unit resets at 7:11am, 1:11pm, 7:11pm and 1:11am everyday.

You need to explain that. The receiver can only be set to reboot once a day. Are you saying on it's own, it resets at those times? If so it seems obvious to me there is something that happens at your mobile home at those times. You have been through four receivers, forget about it being a receiver issue. I know you say your 722 has not had this problem, so start looking at the receptacle or room. I suggest again bringing the 612 to where the 722 is and use it there and see what happens.

Edited by tampa8, 01 June 2011 - 03:14 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   SparkynMS

SparkynMS

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:25 PM

I know its not a receiver issue. The various techs that come out replace it. I try explaining it to them but all they want to do is replace the receiver and leave. The advance techs on the phone all have a different opinion and havent heard of the reboot issue before.
Yes it reboots at those times according to the Sys info details I saw once. Sat 110 had a red X and the other 2 were green.
SW is L646. The last Tech told me that I was sent a special SW and that it is being monitored at Dish Network. If it reboots they will know it. Is this true or is he pulling my leg?
I cant swap the 2 receivers overnight as TV2 on the 722 wont have a signal and the guy that watches that wont put up with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0909.JPG

Edited by SparkynMS, 01 June 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   SparkynMS

SparkynMS

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

After many calls I was finally able to convince them to replace the 612 with a 722 with no new contract and no price difference for the 1st year. No more reboots and the 722k works great!
2 weeks ago we were experiencing HD channels going in and out on our old 722. The signal was around 30 on the old 722 and 75 with the new 722k. The guy came out and replaced the LNB and other stuff then came to the conclusion it was the 722 so he replaced it with a 722k and now I can watch HD again.

#28 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

After many calls I was finally able to convince them to replace the 612 with a 722 with no new contract and no price difference for the 1st year. No more reboots and the 722k works great!
2 weeks ago we were experiencing HD channels going in and out on our old 722. The signal was around 30 on the old 722 and 75 with the new 722k. The guy came out and replaced the LNB and other stuff then came to the conclusion it was the 722 so he replaced it with a 722k and now I can watch HD again.

Did you have to purchase an OTA module?

spam firewall