Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5.1 hardware setup with mutiple pieces for best perfromance

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

Datagg,

Welcome to the forum!

I looked up your Yamaha and it looks like you have HDMI passthrough.

Basically, running all HDMI (from your PS3 and ViP612) will work just fine. Don't worry about running any optical lines. Degradation is not a problem since the video is getting passed through directly to your display device. The receiver is grabbing the digital audio portion of the HDMI signal and decoding it as necessary. I don't know why the guy told you that you are not getting 5.1 from HDMI. The HDMI line should have everything available on it (5.1, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, etc).

BTW, to get the high resolution audio formats to pass from your PS3 to your Yamaha, make sure your PS3's audio options are set for direct bitstream.

I think you just cleared up my confusion about "passthrough". :)

Basically the receiver grabs the audio off of the HDMI and decodes it, while sending the video on through to the TV.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Thank you Dave. He also mentioned I shouldn't run my Dish box HDMI to the receiver for video as it is being degraded and that i should go directly to the tv. Should i do that?

Also, as I was going through the sat box, I noticed in the setup it was set for Dolby Digital/PCM and RF out. This ok.

Again thank you for the help my friend.... I tried to show him the receivers manuall to show they say HDMi does it all, yet he would have nothing to do with it. Made me feel like im kinda, well Mis-Informed and my setup I did was all wrong and im enjoying a seriously flawed setup...

Yikes...

The entire line of 2007-2008 Yamaha receivers had a problem with HDMI where they clipped digital video below a value of 16 and above 235. This would have affeected the 463 receiver. The problem was fixed and supposedly the 465 passes video unaltered.

That is the only reason to connect HDMI directly to the TV. Satellite broadcasters only have stereo or Dolby digital 5.1, which can be sent over HDMI or via the optical or coax outputs.

My DirecTV HR20 has has issues in the past with audio over HDMI (I think has been resolved for some time), so I wired the optical out of my HR20 DVR to my Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver, which also clips video ( but I live with it).

Also, the upconverting of input signals to the receiver to 1080p can usually be turned off in the receiver to make it pass through. At least I can with my RX-Z11. My TV processes 480i better than the Z11 (Yamaha did not choose a great processing chip for their flagship receiver and is one reason it has died a slow sales death, along with refusing to fix the video clip issue with a firmware update).

Blu-Ray players and the PS3 must be connected via HDMI to experience the best high resolution audio. PS3 coverts the high resolution audio to LPCM over HDMI. Other Blu-Ray devices can do the same or bitstream the audio to the receiver. In both cases, the data rate is too high for optical. Most players downrez the audio over optical or coax. Your receiver is capable of decoding the high resolution lossless audio codecs, so enjoy the best that audio can offer!

#23 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

This is why my HDMI goes straight to the TV.

A possible advantage of going HDMI through this particular Yamaha receiver is that it claims to feature automatic sound synchronization; an issue for more than a few DIRECTV subscribers.

I tried the HDMI audio synchronization with my Yamaha RX-Z11 flagship. It offered auto correction or fixed millisecond delay.

It just messed things up so much worse, I just turned it off. Another "feature" of their $5000 flagship receiver that didn't work (and because there were so few sold, they never attempted to fix it).

The Z11 is a wonderful amplifier with fantastic DSP modes, but the video circuitry in it was so dime store and causes so many issues that I would never recommend it to anyone again.

spam firewall