Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish PPV HD

directv

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JaguarJoJo

JaguarJoJo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

I only watch HD programming. I have three large screen HD TVs and have no interest in SD programming. What I can't figure out about Dish is why in the world they don't put some of their better PPV movies on HD. For example: Right now Marley and Me and Slumdog Millionaire are both on PPV SD but are not scheduled for HD at all. I would pay for both of these movies in HD but have no interest in watching them in SD at any price. I'd much rather rent the DVDs. What business sense does this make for Dish? No wonder they lose money!

jag

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

Limited transponder space and possibly some contractual issues with certain studios are the likely reasons.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,449 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

There are also a lot more SD subscribers than HD for Dish... so it absolutely makes sense for them to get movies up in SD first, and for longer, than they do HD.

Don't forget, in addition to the PPV channels there are also the VOD 501 HD channel movies (if you have a 722 DVR you would have usually 6-12 at any given time) and there are also some HD DishOnline options if you have an internet connection.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: directv

spam firewall