Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish's FCC Filing on E-14 Satellite at 119 W

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

Here is the website address of Dish's FCC filing on E-14 that will be launched to the 119 W slot:

http://licensing.fcc...erC/File Number

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,407 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

And more HD in Puerto Rico will create a more favorable image which may allow expansion into Cuba in the next decade.

It seem clear Dish is planning that market expansion I discussed in the post excerpt above. The narrative attachment on page 5 states as follows (emphasis added):

The ECHOSTAR-14 satellite will operate at the 118.9°W.L. orbital location and has the capability to provide BSS services to the USA, including Alaska and Hawaii, as well as to Puerto Rico and other parts of the Caribbean, including Cuba.

This would add to coverage from 110°. This is investing in the future.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Alternatively, certain channels can be used on EchoStar 14’s no fewer than 51 spot beams to provide local service. These capabilities are a marked improvement over the EchoStar 7 satellite, which carries 15 spot beams.

Looks like I'll need to come up with another set of spotbeam maps. Many uplinks makes many spots. E7 was designed for two uplinks ... E-10 has six. E-14 will use the same six uplink sites as E-10. 114 independently operated spots!

It also appears that the spots are steerable?

#4 OFFLINE   Stephen J

Stephen J

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I thought that it was going to be E3's replacement. What is going to replace E3 at 61.5?

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

AMC-14 was to be E-3's replacement ... it is still "lost in space".
This is a new satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:12 AM

I thought that it was going to be E3's replacement. What is going to replace E3 at 61.5?

It has been speculated by this poster that once Nimiq 5 is launched to 72.7 W in September and operational that the E-6 satellite will be moved to 61.5 W to augment/replace E-3. The E-15 satellite scheduled to be launched in late 2010 or early 2011 is suppose to go to 61.5 W. E-15 will be like E-14 in that it will have both spotbeam and CONUS beam capabilities although there is the possibility that its CONUS beams will only cover the Eastern Arc areas and therefore could allow for greater downlink signal strength.

#7 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:11 PM

114 independently operated spots!

Hmm, I read it as 51 spots with 114 transponders that can be assigned to them, possibly in different combinations.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

Spots and beams can be confusing ... but this one seemed pretty clear that 114 spot beam transponders could be used at the same time on 51 different spots. There are additional spots that could be used but would conflict with the 114 (requiring some of them be turned off). Plus there are 64 ConUS transponders ... 32 fed from Cheyenne and 32 fed from Gilbert. Only 32 of those (less if spots were active) could be used at the same time. (Actually 21 since DISH does not hold license to the entire slot.)

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

Hasn't Echostar / Dish applied for the last 2 transponders at 61.5 since no one else will put up a bird over there ?
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Yes, but there is a freeze on new assignments ... including those two. DISH does have special temporary authority to use those two channels, so they have as much permission as they ever will to use them just not "permanent" permission.

Otherwise it is just replacement satellites (including better use of already assigned spectrum) and foreign slots (72.7, 77, 129, 118).

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Echo 15 will be launched in late 2010 to replace E3 at 61.5.

http://www.lyngsat.c...es/america.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...