Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Top 100 with Locals (Final Price)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anonymous20001982

anonymous20001982

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'm thinking about getting dish with top 100. However, I would like to know about what my final price would be per month after promotions. I live in KY with 6% sales tax, plan on getting locals, the duo receiver, and hooking it to a phone line. The top 100 is 34.99 + locals 5.00 =39.99 I would like to know if anyone could help me find the final price. I called dish and they vaguely gave me a quote but said all the fees and taxes would be reflected on my first bill. I would like to know before I order anything how much I will have to pay per month. Thanks for your help

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   nick1984

nick1984

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:22 AM

If you only have the 100 with locals and one duo receiver connected to a phone line with sales tax at 6% your final bill should be 42.39. You shouldnt see any other fees except 34.99 + 5.00(locals) and tax.

#3 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Taxes should be 6%. As far as I can tell there are no "extra" fees. I would recommend getting the DUO DVR for an extra $5. Classic 100 DVR Advantage is $44.99 and comes with Classic 100 programming (what you want, used to be AT100), DVR fee and locals. That is what I have. I think you will eventually agree a DVR for $5 per month is a pretty good deal. If you are really nervous about final pricing you could not do the committment when you install although then you have to pay $99 for the install. Good luck.

#4 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Note: Add $10 if you want them in HD.

- John...

#5 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

"Final Price" is hard with tax. Up until last Dec, I've never paid any tax on monthly DISH bills (over a decade here). Bills generated this year have had a total tax of
1 - 0.38 Credit
2 - 0.50
3 - 0.35
4 - 0.98
Here in CA, the sales tax rate did just increase, and the bills now say that the first receiver on the account is included in the base programming package, and taxes on $5 (SD) or $7 (HD) have been included on the bill. Never having the same Tax total each month makes it hard to generalize, but it would SEEM that I only get charged tax on the implied $7 value of the 1st receiver.

KY appears listed in states with a specific tax on DBS service at http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/ but I don't keep up to date on anything but my own bill. ;) I do recall some states used a tax rate that wasn't the same as the SALES tax rate (and here in CA, the rate varies by county). So you'd need to get a reply from someone in KY to be sure of the EXACT amount. Maybe some of the CSRs present here have access to specifics, but I've usually been told what you seem to have been told - wait for the bill where the computer figures out the rules. So add "some amount" for the tax plus your $39.99 figure.

I too would suggest that you pay the extra $5/month to get a DVR. Specifically, I'd suggest getting a Duo HD DVR. I don't know if you get locals OTA via antenna, but you should seriously consider a 722 or 722k HD DVR.

As a new subscriber, you would qualify for a ClubDISH referral and save an additional $30. I could supply a referral number, but so can any other existing subscriber - and it is worth $50 to the person making the referral. So before you sign up, check friends, family, co-workers for DISH subscribers and they would get the 10 $5 credits (and PPV coupons on their 1st referral). You would have to commit to 24 months with ClubDISH, but it would be a lot more expensive if you don't commit. The commit would get you the $30 ClubDISH credit on the 1st bill, waive the $99 activation fee, $25/month off the price of top 100 programming for 6 months, 3 months of HBO & Showtime, and free Bronze HD programming for 6 months, DHPP for 9 months (IIRC). Your first month's bill will cover two months, so if you were to be installed on say 25-May, you'd get a bill for 25-May thru 24-Jul. That's $14.99 for each month of top 100 and locals after the $25 discount, and you'd just be liable for whatever the tax turns out to be after the $30 ClubDISH credit. After 3 months, you'd need to cancel HBO/Showtime to prevent the bill from increasing, and then after 6 months, the $14.99 would go to $39.99 and you'd need to drop the HD Programming to keep the bill from increasing. If you do get the Duo HD DVR, it would add $5/month to the above numbers so you would have to pay $10 for the 1st two months after a ClubDISH $30 plus whatever taxes end up being.

You may not be thinking HD right now, but now is the time to get an HD DVR as it doesn't cost you anything more than what you'd pay for an SD Duo DVR. If you hadn't been thinking DVR at all, you should give it some consideration.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...