Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: DIRECTV Further Distances Itself in 2009

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

Following is a press release from the Investor Relations portion of DIRECTV.com:

Posted Image

DIRECTV Further Distances Itself From Cable and Dish Network in 2009 American Customer Satisfaction Index
Rates Higher Than All Major Cable Companies for Ninth Consecutive Year

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., May 19, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- For the ninth straight year DIRECTV, the nation's No.1 satellite television service, has once again scored higher for customer satisfaction than all major cable TV companies, in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). DIRECTV's score also soared even further past Dish Network this year by seven points, making it the only satellite company to outrank all cable companies surveyed.

In this year's ACSI survey, DIRECTV improved its position by three points from last year and posted an index score of 71, reflecting customers' overall satisfaction with the service, compared to the cable and satellite TV industry, which received an average score of 63. Specifically, DIRECTV scored five points higher than Cox Communications, 12 points higher than Comcast and Time Warner and 20 points higher than Charter Communications. Customers surveyed by the ACSI in the first quarter of 2009 were also asked about such issues as perceived quality, perceived value and their expectations prior to subscribing to the service. The ACSI also measures customer loyalty and retention.

"We understand that our customers have many options when it comes to choosing a television service provider, which is why it is vital for us to continue delivering the best customer experience possible," said Mike Palkovic, executive vice president of Operations for DIRECTV. "Our No. 1 ranking in the 2009 ACSI survey reflects the hard work and dedication of all DIRECTV employees and customer service representatives. While we improved our position within the survey this year, we will continue to stay vigilant on improving all facets of the overall customer experience to further distance ourselves from the competition."

About the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI)

The ACSI is an economic indicator based on customer evaluations of the quality of household goods and services purchased in the United States. ACSI independently measures customer satisfaction of approximately 200 companies in 44 household consumer industries. ACSI was first compiled in 1994 at the National Quality Research Center (NQRC) in the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and today, it is produced by the NQRC in partnership with the American Society for Quality (ASQ) and CFI Group.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTV - News), the nation's No. 1 satellite television service, presents the finest television experience available to more than 18 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with more than 130 HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed all national cable companies for nine years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc.
Jade Ekstedt, 310-964-3429
Darris Gringeri, 212-205-0882

Copyright Business Wire 2009

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Customers surveyed by the ACSI in the first quarter of 2009 were also asked about such issues as perceived quality, perceived value and their expectations prior to subscribing to the service.

In contrast to after the tech leaves :lol::lol::lol::hurah::hurah:
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

All I will say is Brrrrriiiiip. :grin:

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#4 OFFLINE   Inches

Inches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

Agreed

1 - HR34-700
--··· ···-- -·· · -·- -···· ·-· -·· -·-

#5 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

71?

That's a C- and they're patting themselves on the back?

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,186 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

DISH Network's rating was a 64.

Somehow I get the idea that the same people that are telling us that the economic outlook is improving are behind the ACSI survey.

#7 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

71?

Apparently it's graded on a curve. :lol:
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

71?

Well, if you're better then everyone else why not? LOL

Actually, Chase (the CEO) has talked in the last few conference calls about how they need to improve their customer service. So it's good to know that even though they are the "best", they still know they need to improve.

#9 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Great job DirecTV. Here's a link to ACSI's chart. http://www.theacsi.o... & Satellite TV

Interestingly, I do not see where they measured DirecTV against what I perceive is its real competitive threat in the cable/satellite market....Verizon Fios. I would have been curious to see how it compares when Fios is included or even ATT Uverse (even though that's not really any competition) in the customer satifaction survey.
HR20-700 (networked) with 750gb eSATA drive via HDMI to Panasonic 42" HD plasma
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Pioneer 50" HD plasma with customized URC Complete Control MX-3000 touch screen remote using RF
HR20-700 (networked) via HDMI to Samsung 19" HD LCD
H20-100 via HDMI to Toshiba 19" HD LCD
H20-100 (now retired and collecting dust) via HDMI<DVI to Sony 42" HD plasma
H21-100 via HDMI to Sony 40" HD LCD (in outdoor pavillion)

SWMLine dish

DirecTV since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Great job DirecTV. Here's a link to ACSI's chart. http://www.theacsi.o... & Satellite TV

Interestingly, I do not see where they measured DirecTV against what I perceive is its real competitive threat in the cable/satellite market....Verizon Fios. I would have been curious to see how it compares when Fios is included or even ATT Uverse (even though that's not really any competition) in the customer satifaction survey.

They may be included in the "All Others" category which has improved substantially over the past three years.

As for DirecTV...it's more of the same. Their rating is basically the same as it was eight years ago...that's eight years of promising better customer service/experience and no real change. It's not just them though...it's the whole industry...I guess like a lot of other companies they're only going to do the minimum necessary.

If you do a sort on all industries you can see how poorly cable/satellite is ranked. It's right down there with the airlines and cell phone companies.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

71?

Being the best in a room full of underachievers isn't anything to be proud of. ;)

#12 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

And with the worst service in the nation, we have... Charter! Couldn't agree more with those rankings.

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Since DircTV set up the "case management" department, it seems like any problems I've had over the past 6 months have been handled much more expertly. Unlike in the past, they seem to get me in touch with the folks who can actually solve my problem first-time around.

I could be wrong about who's in charge of what over there, but it seems to me that ever since Ellen Filipiak joined DirecTV in 2007, customer service has really improved. /steve
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   dlt4

dlt4

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

And can you say "pixelization"?

DirecTV customer since 2003
HR44-700 --> Sony KDL-46XBR4
HR24-500 --> Sony KDL-32EX500

#15 OFFLINE   runner26

runner26

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

"Directv needs to improve customer service"? YA THINK????? Next they will tell us water is wet.

#16 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

FIOS has such limited availability, it is irrelevant.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

"Directv needs to improve customer service"? YA THINK????? Next they will tell us water is wet.

While I don't mind them tooting their own horn, being #1 of 2 doesn't tell the whole story.

While I've had good luck with customer service there are those who have had abysmal interactions with them. I have to agree there is improvement to be had.

I do think that DirecTV takes the goal of improvement seriously and I hope it continues to get better.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   runner26

runner26

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

I too hope that D* is able to improve customer service. Off to a mighty slow start though.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Fiso and U-verse (AT&T you see is legacy cable systems, not U-Verse by itself. I do not know if U-verse got lumped in as well, but I doubt it.) are so small they probably wouldn't even be a dominant figure in the all other.. They are years away from being broken out on their own.

#20 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,952 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

When this news breaks each year that DIRECTV is number one in satisfaction, I usually see similar responses, demanding how DIRECTV can be proud of being "mediocre" with a "C" grade.

This measurement is important to set standards so that deficiencies can be identified, addressed, and corrected. The report shows DIRECTV improved on last year's results, so why not crow about that? "We're working hard to serve you better."

Also, if I'm not mistaken this is the third year (maybe even longer) that I recall DIRECTV topping the chart against other providers. This is significant because for new customers concerned with quality they have a baseline against which to measure their choices. If you only have four choices, wouldn't you want to go with the higher-rated company? Even if the score is in the "C" range, DIRECTV satisfies more of its customers than DIRECTV's competitors satisfies their respective customers.

Congrats DIRECTV, keep improving those numbers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...