Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Digital Switch Leave Some Behind?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

18 days to go and...

From KXTV:

Will Digital Switch Leave Some Behind?

In less than three weeks, Sacramento TV stations will pull the plug on their analog signals and broadcast pure digital TV.

Sylvia Bridges worries June 12 will be the day she can no longer watch television.

An estimated three percent of American TV households are not prepared for the DTV transition, according to the FCC. In the Sacramento area the number is even higher-- nearly five percent.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Perhaps we can refer her to Bob Hess's What's Wrong With My #@%@!#$ TV?? After all, he LOVES indoor antennas and digital TV. :kickbutt:

(ya ya I know, :preach: . Still it feels like :bang . So, of course, for the 2 percent of the US population who has problems and believes that television is a god-given right. :beatdeadhorse: )
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

Undoubtedly, some people will be caught with their pants down, and some people will go from snowy analog coverage to no coverage in digital, but that's just the way of the world. We really can't get started on "fixing" reception problems until the transition is finalized anyway, so the sooner, the better.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

Imagine if they had waited until everyone had a TV and antenna before allowing analog transmission to begin back in the day!

We might still be waiting:eek2:

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

I'm fairly sure the digital transition will leave some behind. Not wanting to be mean, but lets be honest that they have had more than enough time to get prepared!

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Yep.. and I still keep coming back to how this is the major concern for some people.

No one has previously been concerned if that same person had a home, was eating, and getting medicine... had electricity... etc.

OR if I focus simply on the TV requirements... There has been no public outcry to make sure the person has a TV, and an antenna... So why the big concern over this one component.

Anyone who is truly stumped over the digital conversion and/or cannot afford the chaep converter box has most certainly other more important needs that aren't being met.

It's a lot like the "let them eat cake" quote... we're overly worried about whether someone gets their digital converter box installed for free, and completely ignoring the living conditions that are a larger day-to-day factor in the quality of life.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

No one has previously been concerned if that same person had a home, was eating, and getting medicine... had electricity... etc.

Game. Set. Match.

Never thought of it that way. Too unfortunate that TV is so important. :nono2:

#7 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

Any bets that the government will last second delay the transition date once again? I'm not for it, just wondering if their will be another last second cry again. I agree that all have plenty of time to get ready.
my setup here

#8 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Any bets that the government will last second delay the transition date once again? I'm not for it, just wondering if their will be another last second cry again. I agree that all have plenty of time to get ready.

I think now that Obama has been in office for more than a few months and now has other distractions he'll let it go.

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm fairly sure the digital transition will leave some behind. Not wanting to be mean, but lets be honest that they have had more than enough time to get prepared!

100% agree. If you don't know by now of the digital switch, you must have your head in your butt.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,710 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

100% agree. If you don't know by now of the digital switch, you must have your head in your butt.

Or you don't watch TV so this doesn't affect you anyway....
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

I would bet that 95% of those "unready" and "concerned" people will be watching TV on June 13. The fact that their analog tuners went dark will *finally* motivate them to do one of the following:

- Buy a digital tuner box.
- Install the box they bought months ago, but never did anything with.
- Call a friend/relative/neighbor to help
- Subscribe to pay TV.

Most of this group is the type that won't do anything until the actually lose service.

#12 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

YAWN! :new_sleep

I can't wait for this to be past and for people to quit talking endlessly about it.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#13 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Undoubtedly, some people will be caught with their pants down, and some people will go from snowy analog coverage to no coverage in digital, but that's just the way of the world. We really can't get started on "fixing" reception problems until the transition is finalized anyway, so the sooner, the better.

The Los Angeles market stations are going to lose hundreds of OTA viewers, according to the detailed maps on TV Fool. In fact the local cable cos are advertising "limited basic" for OTA tv channels for 9.95/month as a way to get OTA viewers hooked up before the 12th.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#14 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

Yes.....For about a day

Then they will get the snow screen and decide to upgrade unwillingly

#15 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

I really don't think so. If it was done in the 11th hour last time, it's the 11th hour and about 45 minutes this time. As far as I know, another delay hasn't even been proposed and the tapped out coupon program isn't an excuse this time.

Plus, it's becoming abundantly obvious that it doesn't matter whether you delay it four months, a year, four years or forty years -- some people just won't adapt to the change until they see nothing but snow on their TV and are *forced* to do something.

#16 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

The Los Angeles market stations are going to lose hundreds of OTA viewers, according to the detailed maps on TV Fool. In fact the local cable cos are advertising "limited basic" for OTA tv channels for 9.95/month as a way to get OTA viewers hooked up before the 12th.

Hundreds of viewers? How many people does LA have? Something like 7 or 8 million or more?

I think once these people realize something is 'wrong' next month, they will buy their converter boxes.

I laugh that this thing was delayed..

1. How many more people are 'ready' that weren't ready in Feb? Probably not many.

2. You could get the converter boxes without the gov't getting involved. It wasn't like, if you couldn't get a $40 coupon, you couldn't get a box. The converter boxes were available to all (with or without coupon).
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#17 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:10 PM

Enough already! Just get it done! As for the bleeding hearts whine about whatever many viewers who only get their programming from an ota antenna, I say start a privately funded foundation to seek out and equip those who are unwilling or unable to deal with the transition. The government at any level should stay the hell out of it! The public has had more than enough time.

#18 OFFLINE   JB292

JB292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

I'm ready for it to be over too. I still can't believe how many folks think there TV's will be rendered useless, though. Check out Craiglist. Many are pratically giving away TV's because it isn't digital.

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,112 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

To many Democrats took hell from their constituents for the last delay that I don't think they could muster enough votes to get it through congress this time.

If we insist on 100% coverage, it's never going to happen.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

I'm ready for it to be over too. I still can't believe how many folks think there TV's will be rendered useless, though. Check out Craiglist. Many are pratically giving away TV's because it isn't digital.

There are ads running here in the NY/NJ metro area from a cable provider with this actor type saying and I quote"Don't wait till June 12th to to find out your tv won't work". Of course it still works, it's not broken, it just can't decode the digital signal. That's what the converter boxes are for. If people are satisfied with the programming they receive over an antenna, they do not need cable, Fios or the dish, just a one time $45-$60 purchase of a converter box. Even if it takes word of mouth, if you know folks who depend on a antenna for tv let them know.

spam firewall