Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Digital Switch Leave Some Behind?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

At this point, it will take a court order to halt the digital transition. I don't believe that that will happen.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

At this point, it will take a court order to halt the digital transition. I don't believe that that will happen.

Let's not give anybody ideas! ;)

The 9th circuit is full of judges who have no problem issuing a stay if they even think someone is going to be disenfranchised by that mean ol' government

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#23 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

That's not correct. The last delay happened per Congressional action - legislation. There's nothing to stop Congress from acting again. Granted, court action COULD cause a delay without having Congress act, but that's not the only way it could be halted/delayed. And it's far from the most likely way.

I was hopeful that this wouldn't raise its ugly head again. Going into February you couldn't get away from the 'horror' stories about how some of the elderly may miss Wheel of Fortune. Until REALLY recently I haven't seen any of those stories this time around. That got me hopeful that the media would focus their attention on stuff that's actually important, and hold off on getting people spun up about something that, I think, will largely be a total non-event.

#24 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

That's not correct. The last delay happened per Congressional action - legislation. There's nothing to stop Congress from acting again. Granted, court action COULD cause a delay without having Congress act, but that's not the only way it could be halted/delayed. And it's far from the most likely way.

I was hopeful that this wouldn't raise its ugly head again. Going into February you couldn't get away from the 'horror' stories about how some of the elderly may miss Wheel of Fortune. Until REALLY recently I haven't seen any of those stories this time around. That got me hopeful that the media would focus their attention on stuff that's actually important, and hold off on getting people spun up about something that, I think, will largely be a total non-event.

I saw a number somewhere which stated 42% of the stations have already converted. While the last delay may have been 11th hour, they were discussing it prior to that not to mention congress tried to rush it through once and failed. I don't hear the rumbling this time so I am pretty confident this one will happen.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#25 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Instead of moaning and whining about their tv's going dark, a lot of seniors or not, how about skipping a week of dropping $50-$100 on lottery or Atlantic City slots or $7 a pack for cigarettes and buying a converter box. I see it all the time at the lottery counter. Personally, I don't play the lottery. I have no sympathy for these folks. I'm sure Mr. Vernon disagrees.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:28 PM

Instead of moaning and whining about their tv's going dark, a lot of seniors or not, how about skipping a week of dropping $50-$100 on lottery or Atlantic City slots or $7 a pack for cigarettes and buying a converter box. I see it all the time at the lottery counter. Personally, I don't play the lottery. I have no sympathy for these folks. I'm sure Mr. Vernon disagrees.

Actually, why would you think I would disagree?

While I do have sympathy for people who are actually in need of assistance... by and large, those are not the people we are talking about in this thread..

Most of the people who are "worried" over for lack of a converter seem to me to be folks who already have the means to do this themselves OR pay for someone to do it.

My gripe has been consistent lack of worry or offer of assistance for the people truly in need of things.

I agree, there are people who could make minor adjustments to their budget and easily afford the $40 converter box.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#27 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

I really believe that the majority of people who are not prepared for the switchover still think that it does not apply to them. That somehow they will "see" the digital signals on their TV because the station is going to do it for them.Or something similar to that idea. I don't think that it is a matter of cost anymore.

#28 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

I saw a number somewhere which stated 42% of the stations have already converted. While the last delay may have been 11th hour, they were discussing it prior to that not to mention congress tried to rush it through once and failed. I don't hear the rumbling this time so I am pretty confident this one will happen.

Agreed. It still COULD happen in theory, but I'm not hearing as much blustering in the halls of Congress this time -- and as I mentioned earlier, they can't use the "broke" coupon program to justify another delay. Plus, I don't think the stations are too keen on keeping the power going for two different signals for a few more months -- especially if the analog shutdown allows them to shut off a costly UHF signal.

I also think there's an increasing acceptance that no matter how much we delay, there will always be some people who will fail to prepare and adjust until they lose their picture.

#29 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

Before we go blaming seniors, we should look closer at the data. As a group the seniors have been the most prepared group for a very long time.

http://blog.nielsen....tal-television/

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#30 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Frys has digital converters for $4.95 with the government $40 coupon.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#31 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

Before we go blaming seniors, we should look closer at the data. As a group the seniors have been the most prepared group for a very long time.

http://blog.nielsen....tal-television/

Cheers,
Tom

Absolutely - the people MOST unprepared are the 18-30 somethings - the group actually most able to repidly deal with it when analog shuts off. The older the household - the more likely they are ready for this to happen.

Myself - I got my mother-in-law (she's OTA only) in the queue EARLY for her coupons, and explained to MY Mom that since she is on cable - she's fine (she thought she might need some CECBs).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#32 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

It's going to leave me behind and that has nothing to do with my state of readiness. I have two ATSC televisions but there are no digital signals here in the Pocono Mountains of NE Pa. My weak but viewable analogs from New York and Philadelphia will be gone.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#33 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

It's going to leave me behind and that has nothing to do with my state of readiness. I have two ATSC televisions but there are no digital signals here in the Pocono Mountains of NE Pa. My weak but viewable analogs from New York and Philadelphia will be gone.

--- CHAS

Is there any chance your stations will be able to go higher power after all the transition is done?

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#34 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

It depends what happens after the analogs shut down. Some stations may try to get FCC approval for minor changes (such as power output) based upon what happens. I would say this probably only pertains to stations changing channels after June 12th.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#35 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

It depends what happens after the analogs shut down. Some stations may try to get FCC approval for minor changes (such as power output) based upon what happens. I would say this probably only pertains to stations changing channels after June 12th.

And there are stations who right now can't broadcast their full digital strength until the analogs they might interfere shutdown. So I have some, limited hope for HIPAR.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#36 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

The people that aren't ready now are the same people that weren't ready before. The transition itself is what needed to be done to get everybody on board that was missing. Therefore, the delay should have never happened.

#37 OFFLINE   JB292

JB292

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I am a DirecTV installer, and in the last few weeks have had customers who actually bought the digital boxes. In three different cases, the customers told me the boxes worked fine for a while, then quit completely, and wouldn't power up. The digital boxes in question were all made in China.

#38 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

And there are stations who right now can't broadcast their full digital strength until the analogs they might interfere shutdown. So I have some, limited hope for HIPAR.

Cheers,
Tom

I realize this so it's not like I won't give it a try after the DTV transition.

This is a dead area as confirmed by TVFool.com. The translators are directional towards Stroudsburg. I receive no UHF here but do get snowy VHF analogs which will mostly be going away.

The one interesting experiment will be WVPI Philadelphia about 80 miles to the south. It will be using channel 6. Everyone contends VHF Lo is useless for DTV.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#39 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

HIPAR -- The FCC has market-by-market DTV coverage maps ( click here for list) which show where they expect households to gain and lose reception following the conversion. Because a lot of stations are changing power, and in some cases transmitter location, inability to receive a strong analog signal does not mean you won't receive a digital signal.

So depending on where you are in the Poconos, you might find you can get reception from Philadelphia (including Philadelphia market stations broadcast from Allentown) or New York. Also check the Wilkes Barre - Scranton market, as most stations there will have much stronger signals to the south.

#40 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

I realize this so it's not like I won't give it a try after the DTV transition.

This is a dead area as confirmed by TVFool.com. The translators are directional towards Stroudsburg. I receive no UHF here but do get snowy VHF analogs which will mostly be going away.

The one interesting experiment will be WVPI Philadelphia about 80 miles to the south. It will be using channel 6. Everyone contends VHF Lo is useless for DTV.

--- CHAS

Yep, I am expecting to lose WPVI-DT in a few weeks since they're moving back to channel 6.

And probably 90% of those who weren't ready in Feb still aren't ready. The delay simply wasn't needed.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall