Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will Digital Switch Leave Some Behind?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

HIPAR -- The FCC has market-by-market DTV coverage maps ( click here for list) which show where they expect households to gain and lose reception following the conversion. Because a lot of stations are changing power, and in some cases transmitter location, inability to receive a strong analog signal does not mean you won't receive a digital signal.

So depending on where you are in the Poconos, you might find you can get reception from Philadelphia (including Philadelphia market stations broadcast from Allentown) or New York. Also check the Wilkes Barre - Scranton market, as most stations there will have much stronger signals to the south.

Quite interesting maps for the Phoenix DMA. Some stations gain coverage, some lose, and some are static.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

Never let it be said that 'we' didn't give the malingerers and slackers a second chance! :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#43 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

Never let it be said that 'we' didn't give the malingerers and slackers a second chance! :rolleyes:

Well, the entire transition is quickly heading into history. I haven't seen any reference to an uproar where the DTV has occurred so our congress people won't be afraid of losing an election over this matter.

Ready or not, here we come. :icon_da:

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:40 PM

I wonder how those "xxx aren't prepared" surveys are conducted anyway. Besides the allusion that older people are more prepared than younger (which is counter to what the fear-mongers would say)...

I wonder how the survey is worded.

If, for example, the question was asked "Do you have converter boxes for all your TVs"... the answer might be no, if someone is waiting for a good deal OR waiting to possibly replace some TVs OR just has TVs that are "extra" and have no intent of being upgraded.

So a survey could show "unprepared" but it might not be for lack of awareness... It could be a simple "wait until it is necessary" kind of unprepared that would drop to near zero once the deadline comes and forces the fencesitters to act.

As an example... I often let things like car inspection, car registration, etc. almost expire before renewing. Technically speaking I gain nothing by doing so because the next expiration/renewal date is the same... but still I wait because until the deadline is almost there, I have no reason to hurry.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#45 OFFLINE   RusH

RusH

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:23 AM

As long as they have an AM radio, it should be a non-issue. :D

#46 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

As long as they have an AM radio, it should be a non-issue. :D

As a 'geezer who gets his radidio from AM, FM, XM and streaming off the 'net, I have to agree. People, young and old, hear what they want to hear and ignore the rest. That's why we have so many peeps, young and old, who tune out reality and, as a result, are just plain ignorant about the world around them. I think Jay Leno's 'Jaywalking' segments pretty well bear that out.

The other big problem looming on the horizon is the demise of local and regional newspapers. We've long ago lost local programming on AM radio. When your local newspaper folds, where will you get your local news? Bloggers? Sorry, but I don't consider bloggers to be reliable sources at all.

After all, information on the Internet consists of half lies and half truth. The problem is figuring which is which.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#47 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

I realize this so it's not like I won't give it a try after the DTV transition.

This is a dead area as confirmed by TVFool.com. The translators are directional towards Stroudsburg. I receive no UHF here but do get snowy VHF analogs which will mostly be going away.

The one interesting experiment will be WVPI Philadelphia about 80 miles to the south. It will be using channel 6. Everyone contends VHF Lo is useless for DTV.

--- CHAS

Good luck. I hope you can get something reasonable digitally.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#48 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Everyone contends VHF Lo is useless for DTV.

Channel 6 is not useless for DTV.

It is much better than channels 2-5, but not as good interference wise as 7-13.

Distance wise it is better than channels 7-13, i.e. the signal travels better through the atmosphere and bends over the horizon easier.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#49 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Why on earth are some channels moving back to their low-VHF channels this month anyway? Is it solely so they can try to save some $$$ with lower power output? It may backfire when they also have lower ratings because fewer people can receive their DT signal in the coming weeks.

For example - WPVI - 6.1/6.2/6.3 DT is currently transmitting up on channel 64, if I recall. I know that channel will no longer be available due to the auctioning off of the high UHF freqs, but why go back to channel 6? I would think they could find a channel b/w 14~50 that wouldn't interfere with another station yet still provide a usable DT signal in their service area.

I get no signal on analog channel 6 currently.. I would suspect I'll see nothing on the 12th. I'll cross my fingers, though.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#50 OFFLINE   moghedien

moghedien

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

Why on earth are some channels moving back to their low-VHF channels this month anyway? Is it solely so they can try to save some $$$ with lower power output? It may backfire when they also have lower ratings because fewer people can receive their DT signal in the coming weeks.

For example - WPVI - 6.1/6.2/6.3 DT is currently transmitting up on channel 64, if I recall. I know that channel will no longer be available due to the auctioning off of the high UHF freqs, but why go back to channel 6? I would think they could find a channel b/w 14~50 that wouldn't interfere with another station yet still provide a usable DT signal in their service area.

I get no signal on analog channel 6 currently.. I would suspect I'll see nothing on the 12th. I'll cross my fingers, though.

Where are they supposed to go?

http://www.rabbitear...ude=&longitude=

#51 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

It's going to leave me behind and that has nothing to do with my state of readiness. I have two ATSC televisions but there are no digital signals here in the Pocono Mountains of NE Pa. My weak but viewable analogs from New York and Philadelphia will be gone.

--- CHAS

You won't be the only one. I would imagine many non-urban stations will be taking a major hit in their viewer populations and subsequent loss of revenue due to having to lower their advertising rates.

But, I guess in the end, I won't really care. I don't really watch broadcast TV anymore except for the local news.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#52 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

Sylvia Bridges is a moron. That's why she won't be able to watch TV any more.

#53 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

Figured it's time to try for some OTA television here in the Pocono Mountains of NE Pa .. Yep, left behind. :mad:

I receive nothing from my Scranton official DMA. I receive one local NTSC translator on Channel 60. It's some kind of marketing channel .. they're peddling a 'Greatest rock band' DVD.

I see nightlight on channels 2 and 4 from new York City. I see nightlight on KYW channel 3 from Philadelphia. They are all snowy but, as usual, watchable.

How about this .. the nightlight from KYW is being sponsored by Comcast. :rolleyes:

Of course I have satellite here but that's not the point.

--- CHAS

#54 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

A fair number of folks in the Austin area are being "left behind" by the local Fox affiliate's move from RF channel 56 to 7. Of course, they are on a temporary facility at about 1/3 power for a few more weeks, so maybe it will resolve when they are at full power.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#55 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

DirecTV OTA mappings is leaving me behind in Sacramento. :sigh: At least most still work.
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#56 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

It's been a week now and there's now no press coverage .. this is now ancient history. The FCC cites call volume to the help lines is continuing to diminish with the vast majority of viewer problems being easily solved by correcting converter box hook-ups and rescans.

I heard FCC Commissioner Copps dislocated his shoulder while patting himself on the back for pulling this thing off so brilliantly. :lol:

--- CHAS

#57 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:33 AM

I know there is/will be issues in the SF/Oak/SJ DMA for a while, many of the stations had their antennas at the bottome of Sutro Tower for DTV, well now they have to move all those up to the top of Sutro. KGO and KTVU have both done stories stating it could be Oct before everything is fully operational. I lost 2 stations in the switch that use to come in in DTV, but with frequency changes were lost. Both have told me "keep rescanning, by Oct you should be ok." Doesn't bother me too much because I have D*, but if I just used an antenna I'd be a bit frustrated. I also know in Sac, KCRA still has to do some antenna modifications before they will be fully operational, according to their engineering dept that should be Sept/Oct before completed. With all this I have to imagine there are other markets still not fully operational. My question on all this is ...we had a few years to know this was happening why weren't the TV stations moving their antennas around before?

#58 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

I know there is/will be issues in the SF/Oak/SJ DMA for a while, many of the stations had their antennas at the bottome of Sutro Tower for DTV, well now they have to move all those up to the top of Sutro. KGO and KTVU have both done stories stating it could be Oct before everything is fully operational. I lost 2 stations in the switch that use to come in in DTV, but with frequency changes were lost. Both have told me "keep rescanning, by Oct you should be ok." Doesn't bother me too much because I have D*, but if I just used an antenna I'd be a bit frustrated. I also know in Sac, KCRA still has to do some antenna modifications before they will be fully operational, according to their engineering dept that should be Sept/Oct before completed. With all this I have to imagine there are other markets still not fully operational. My question on all this is ...we had a few years to know this was happening why weren't the TV stations moving their antennas around before?

My problem with 2-1 (KTVU), 4-1 (KRON) and 7-1 (KGO) is I can get them on my digtial TV but I can't get them on my HR20-700 nor my HR23-700 w/ AM21. I've call D* and a week later still no signal.

#59 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

My problem with 2-1 (KTVU), 4-1 (KRON) and 7-1 (KGO) is I can get them on my digtial TV but I can't get them on my HR20-700 nor my HR23-700 w/ AM21. I've call D* and a week later still no signal.

Try going into the antenna setup on the HR2x, select "Reset Settings" to wipe the current db, then redo the "Initial Setup", it may help if the changes have already been mapped to the DirecTV database.

I had a problem with 2 of my locals swapping: ch 26 and 38 shared a transmitter, but on the 12th 26 moved to its original frequency when they turned analog off - ch 38 went from 15-2 to 15-1 and ch 26 went from 15-1 to 26-1. Redoing everything fixed my problem.

#60 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

It's been a week now and there's now no press coverage .. this is now ancient history. The FCC cites call volume to the help lines is continuing to diminish with the vast majority of viewer problems being easily solved by correcting converter box hook-ups and rescans.

I heard FCC Commissioner Copps dislocated his shoulder while patting himself on the back for pulling this thing off so brilliantly. :lol:

--- CHAS

You must not be reading the newspapers. The Cleveland Plain Dealer has had several stories the past week about problems viewers are having. Even those with outdoor antennas. Several station's coverage area is much less than before, leaving many viewers out.
I would say 6 months from now the switchover will be, as you call it, ancient history.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

spam firewall