Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No French on DirecTV???

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

As others have already stated you'll find that Dish Network will carry more international programming then DirecTV. If I remember correctly this is due to them purchasing a company that provided most of the feeds for international programming. They have always had more while they were building their name as the niche provider.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:51 AM

you're kidding, right?

No, I have heard they are not unlike the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka or the Taliban of Pakistan... they even have their own home grown group which did kidnappings and bombings in the 70's called the FLQ. I believe the Canadian gov had to bring in their small army to quell an uprising at some point in the late 70's early eighties. Very dangerous I'm told.

Anyway... way, way, way off topic... I'm done.

Edited by JJJBBB, 27 May 2009 - 02:28 PM.
Added another "way" to off topic, creating way, way, way off topic.

NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#23 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

:backtotop
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   MNT

MNT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

I actually clicked on this thread because I had to confirm my suspicions that it would devolve into something like this.

#25 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:00 PM

I perfer TV5, France 24 and Trace TV. "DirecTV fears France". The OP got this figured: The French don't oppose nudity.

#26 OFFLINE   FCBarca

FCBarca

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:25 PM

As others have already stated you'll find that Dish Network will carry more international programming then DirecTV. If I remember correctly this is due to them purchasing a company that provided most of the feeds for international programming. They have always had more while they were building their name as the niche provider.

Thanks

#27 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 01:59 PM

Not to resurrect a dead thread....but to resurrect a dead thread.....
It sure would be nice if D* carried TV5 or another French channel. My wife (who speaks French) would stop bugging me to switch to E*.
D* Subsc. '99
HR34 Genie + Client; Onkyo TX-NR5008; Harmony 900

#28 OFFLINE   CG Tustin

CG Tustin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Well,

If there is a large enough demand for it, Direct Tv MAY carry it...but you have to let D* know...

I got luck, enough fans of TV Chile already out there....

#29 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Well,

If there is a large enough demand for it, Direct Tv MAY carry it...but you have to let D* know...

I got luck, enough fans of TV Chile already out there....

OK. Dumb question -- what's the best way to let D* know?
D* Subsc. '99

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

OK. Dumb question -- what's the best way to let D* know?

Contact us link on the website or call and ask for the international department and tell them.

#31 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

Thank you.
D* Subsc. '99

#32 OFFLINE   shelston

shelston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

I'd love to get TV5! Where do I sign the petition?!

#33 OFFLINE   tbpb3

tbpb3

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'd love to get TV5! Where do I sign the petition?!

IN FRANCE!
Directv since 1994

#34 OFFLINE   oenophile

oenophile

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

Thought I'd mention that this thread has a rumor in it that French Language TV is coming to D*. http://www.dbstalk.c...687#post2383687
D* Subsc. '99

#35 OFFLINE   Chasseur

Chasseur

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Get the Dish "bouquet package". It has about 4 to 5 french channels. Forget Direct tv. It's a joke only for americans that only watch so called football (handball), kardashians, and don't know anything about the world.
I hate Direct TV. The world cup coverage was late.

Direct TV
Poor Football coverage (soccer)
Poor Tennis coverage
Poor International channels
NO FRENCH channels.
Poor international news/ only bias news
= Deal breaker for me.

"WilsonC " You are 100% right about what you said. Only arrogant uneducated, non cultured americans that i've met complains about french being mean. Before I came to america, I learned as much english before I came and learned a lot about the culture and tried to speak english to every american I met. I didn't come here expect Americans to speak French to me in their country. Therefore, why do americans go to France and expect to be served and spoken to in English? Just like americans and Patriotic and nationalist , we french are proud too of our language and culture.
All the americans I've met that are respectful of others cultures, all tell me they had a great time in Paris.

Funny thing, In France you can find every tv channel giving american news and music videos!!! But in america you never find that in american tv.
I wonder who hates who.
I came to the states and toured all 50 states, americans go to France and visit just Paris and generalized the whole country.

In conclusion, Don't get Direct TV if you want your kids to be cultured and watch french/ swiss and learn about the world. Plus it's more expensive than Dish and other...

spam firewall