Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Layer DVD advantage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fkubick

fkubick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

I've read the forum and can't find any answer to this: When you record from the HD-DVR to a dvd recorder, is there any improvement to quality if you use a dual layer dvd as opposed to single layer? I've been using single layer for years with no problem but I think my DVD recorder is showing its age and may need replacement. I'm thinking of getting a dual layer recorder but I'm wondering if I'm gaining anything.

Anyone out there have any experiences in this? Any advice or recommendations? TIA.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   njeske

njeske

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, CA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

dual layer just refers to have much space the disk can hold. a dual layer disk can hold about twice the information a standard dvd can hold.

#3 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

Single layer is 4.7 GB ish
Dual is 9.4 GB
A commercial DVD is dual layer and about 9.4 GB

At the recommended bit-rate, you can record 2 hrs on a dual layer and 1 on a single layer.

So you can get better quality with a dual layer in that you can record longer at the higher quality.

Of course dual layer DVD's are 4x - 5x the cost of single layer

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#4 OFFLINE   JerryElbow

JerryElbow

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:54 AM

It also depends on whether or not your DVD recorder can even handle recording to a dual-layer disc. Not all can, especially older ones. If it can, you can take advantage of the extra space to record at the highest quality setting for a longer period. However, since DVD recorders still use real-time MPEG encoding, the quality is definitely NOT going to be anything like a 100% exact copy and you still will not get multi-channel Dolby Digital or DTS audio. It will NOT improve the quality over the same "highest quality" setting onto a single-layer DVD; it'll just give you that same level of quality for a longer period of time.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

It also depends on whether or not your DVD recorder can even handle recording to a dual-layer disc. Not all can, especially older ones. If it can, you can take advantage of the extra space to record at the highest quality setting for a longer period. However, since DVD recorders still use real-time MPEG encoding, the quality is definitely NOT going to be anything like a 100% exact copy and you still will not get multi-channel Dolby Digital or DTS audio. It will NOT improve the quality over the same "highest quality" setting onto a single-layer DVD; it'll just give you that same level of quality for a longer period of time.

Are you sure? I would think that if you set your recorder for 1 hr it would record at the highest quality for 1 hr. If you set it for 2 hr it would record at the 2 hr speed and quality for 2 hrs. There would be no way for it to know to stretch the 1 hr out to 2. If you record at 4 hrs the PQ gets to be pretty bad.
So I can't see any PQ advantage to DL recording. Hope someone lets me know if I'm wrong.

#6 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

With my Panasonic DVD Recorder I could choose the quality setting from a short list (Good, Better, Best, for example) or I could choose "variable" as a quality setting and specify the recording duration and then the Recorder would automatically measure the capacity of the media (single-layer or dual-layer DVD) and calculate the settings to use to fill the disk with the best quality recording.

#7 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:04 AM

With my Panasonic DVD Recorder I could choose the quality setting from a short list (Good, Better, Best, for example) or I could choose "variable" as a quality setting and specify the recording duration and then the Recorder would automatically measure the capacity of the media (single-layer or dual-layer DVD) and calculate the settings to use to fill the disk with the best quality recording.

Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

In my experience with Verbatim DVD+R DL media, they format to 8.5GB, not 9.4. It is a little over 90% what two single layer disks would give you. It even says this on the box.

The use of record settings like XP, SP, LP indicate recording quality. They are usually given in terms of time for a single layer disk for simplicity and comparitive purposes. XP is usually defined as one hour per disk, that is per SL disk. If you use a DL disk, you will get 1:49 (about) using XP quality.

Your question:

is there any improvement to quality if you use a dual layer dvd as opposed to single layer?

The only way you can increase the quality of your recordings is to take advantage of the increased capacity and bump up the quality setting. There is no inherent quality improvement from using DL media.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#9 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Are you sure? I would think that if you set your recorder for 1 hr it would record at the highest quality for 1 hr. If you set it for 2 hr it would record at the 2 hr speed and quality for 2 hrs. There would be no way for it to know to stretch the 1 hr out to 2. If you record at 4 hrs the PQ gets to be pretty bad.
So I can't see any PQ advantage to DL recording. Hope someone lets me know if I'm wrong.

My DVD recorder will do recordings in 2hr, 4hr, or 8hr on single layer discs. The 2hr mode gives the best quality, each increase in the length of the recording worsens the quality some.

If I want to record something that is 2 hours and 15 minutes......I have to switch it out to 4 hr mode. The difference in quality is barely noticeable, works fine for recording older/classic films, many of which (ones I want) are in black and white :). If I want a movie to be perfect, with full surround sound, I'll just go buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,363 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

Single layer is 4.7 GB ish
Dual is 9.4 GB

Dual Layer is about 8.5GB.

Of course dual layer DVD's are 4x - 5x the cost of single layer

Dual Layer discs cost a little more than double the price of single layer discs. About $1.70 for DL versus $0.80 for SL in the 25 disc spindles.

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

My DVD recorder will do recordings in 2hr, 4hr, or 8hr on single layer discs. The 2hr mode gives the best quality, each increase in the length of the recording worsens the quality some.

If I want to record something that is 2 hours and 15 minutes......I have to switch it out to 4 hr mode. The difference in quality is barely noticeable, works fine for recording older/classic films, many of which (ones I want) are in black and white :). If I want a movie to be perfect, with full surround sound, I'll just go buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

You must have a Toshiba? Mine has the same recording times. The cheap Magnavox recorders $98 from Walmart have 2, 2.5, 3, 4 and 6 hr speeds and I use 2.5 hrs a lot. I like the Toshiba but I only use it for recording of 2 hrs or less.

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Dual Layer is about 8.5GB.Dual Layer discs cost a little more than double the price of single layer discs. About $1.70 for DL versus $0.80 for SL in the 25 disc spindles.

I routinely get SL for about $0.20 each. Cheapest DL I've ever seen is $0.80. So, yes, SL x 4 = DL. If you're happy paying DL prices for SL, that's cool. I don't much like making coasters at a buck or two a pop, so I stick with SL.

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:07 AM

...If I want to record something that is 2 hours and 15 minutes......I have to switch it out to 4 hr mode...

On the Pannys (mine was bought over 5 years ago) you can actually squeeze about 2:23 into a 4.7 GB disc at "2-hour" quality. You have to use the automatic feature that chooses the quality level, but dialing in anything under 2:24 automatically chooses the "2-hour" quality setting, which is an undocumented feature of most Pannys. This has come in handy a number of times when copying a movie that is just over 2 hours long.

#14 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

On the Pannys (mine was bought over 5 years ago) you can actually squeeze about 2:23 into a 4.7 GB disc at "2-hour" quality. You have to use the automatic feature that chooses the quality level, but dialing in anything under 2:24 automatically chooses the "2-hour" quality setting, which is an undocumented feature of most Pannys. This has come in handy a number of times when copying a movie that is just over 2 hours long.

It's called FR (Flexible Recording) mode on newer pannys. It uses the max quality possible for any arbitrary time, so it essentially has an infinite number of recording modes, which is a huge advantage over other makes. It's the reason I've used panasonic exclusively for several years.

#15 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:08 PM

I've never bought a standalone DVD recorder - I've always captured with a Hauppauge TV tuner card and burned the DVD's on my PC. That Feature makes the Panasonics sound nice.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall