Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 HD capability

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gbez

gbez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

will the 922 have the capability of sending an HD signal to other TV's in the house other than TV1?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hawker152

hawker152

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

nope. Hopefully something will soon though. Its the hardware thats holding it all back. That would be awesome to not need a box for every HD set

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

The 922 is supposed to have Sling capability built-in... and based on CES, I have to think this means it will sling SD and HD signals.

So you'd be limited to the tuners in the DVR (2 SAT + 2 optional OTA)... but if you put Sling catchers at other TVs in the home, I have to think the 922 is intended to Sling HD to them.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

I read Dish intends to have HD-DVRs be able to access each others recordings over Ethernet, I hope this is coming soon.

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

I read Dish intends to have HD-DVRs be able to access each others recordings over Ethernet, I hope this is coming soon.

That'd be nice. They can already share via external HDD.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:55 PM

You wouldn't have a link to the article do you?

#7 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

Don't know what's taking them so long. Replay was doing it years ago.

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

My Tivo's can transfer recorded programs among each other and to any PC with the right access key.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Dish with Echostar already makes it possible to access HD content across a home network, but it is carefully limited in order to avoid any digital rights management (DRM) issues. Echostar owns Sling technology designed to provide access to the content on your box from anywhere in your home.

Right now I record from two boxes (a 722 and a 612). I'm thinking I'd eventually replace the 722 with a 922 and put a Slingbox on the 612, although I could save some cost with simply a "sneaker net" using my EHD's.

My need for two boxes would go away if they could come up with a two-satellite-tuner add in module to allow recording of four satellite streams at once.

#10 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

You wouldn't have a link to the article do you?

It was in a Dish Tech chat, probably the last one. Do a search.

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Replay shared HD video? I doubt it.

The reality is that there are lots of new laws and contract restrictions on HD content (which is all digital) that weren't present or weren't well-enforced with SD. These restrictions, which are designed to prevent *unauthorized* sharing and/or archiving of HD content, make implementing *authorized* sharing much more difficult.

Also, development goes slow because you're dealing with a live environment; you can't just rush out a new feature and have it break stuff for 18 million customers. MRV was a lower priority than some of the features implemented earlier, because only a tiny fraction of customers have networked their receivers.

#12 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

From the Tech Forum earlier this month:

Scott: When will Dish DVRs be able to share events via ethernet?
Dan: Working on for existing boxes, future boxes will have “complete sharing.” Will have a “pseudo sharing” like a virtual drive. Working on some cool new technology because not all customers will have ethernet between their boxes.

Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#13 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

is "working on" a longer or shorter time than "soon"?

#14 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

I think it means "we have a vague notion that this might be a neat thing to do." :D
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

From the Tech Forum earlier this month:

Scott: When will Dish DVRs be able to share events via ethernet?
Dan: Working on for existing boxes, future boxes will have “complete sharing.” Will have a “pseudo sharing” like a virtual drive. Working on some cool new technology because not all customers will have ethernet between their boxes.

Some things about that were puzzling to me:
  • "Working on for existing boxes, future boxes will have "complete sharing." Will have a “pseudo sharing” like a virtual drive. Essentially that meant to me that existing boxes will not have "complete sharing," whatever that is, but will have "file sharing" between internal drives. It's unclear if this will apply to EHD's.
  • Working on some cool new technology because not all customers will have ethernet between their boxes. While this is interesting, I have to wonder what they're substituting for the common international standard for an ethernet network and, more importantly, "why?"
  • since the complete use of a ViP DVR includes streaming through your internet connection which is specifically designed to make Dish (not Echostar) money; and
  • presumably it involves a router as you usually want an internet connection for your computer as well as your Dish box.
I guess maybe a coax based system for multimedia like MoCA would free up network bandwidth in your home while the kids are watching TV.
As usual, I'm confused by goals associated with "cool new technology" and more mundane goals such as revenue streams for Dish. I won't even mention in itemized form the frequent problems existing ViP DVR's have in everyday use that don't get cleanly solved before new models appear with the same problems doing "cool new stuff" creating more problems.:confused:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:26 AM

I think it means "we have a vague notion that this might be a neat thing to do." :D

NOW that is a Great reply.
If they give more info in the next tech Forum please share here too. Not all of us can make those.

#17 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Some things about that were puzzling to me:

• "Working on for existing boxes, future boxes will have "complete sharing." Will have a “pseudo sharing” like a virtual drive. Essentially that meant to me that existing boxes will not have "complete sharing," whatever that is, but will have "file sharing" between internal drives. It's unclear if this will apply to EHD's.
  • Working on some cool new technology because not all customers will have ethernet between their boxes. While this is interesting, I have to wonder what they're substituting for the common international standard for an ethernet network and, more importantly, "why?"
  • since the complete use of a ViP DVR includes streaming through your internet connection which is specifically designed to make Dish (not Echostar) money; and
  • presumably it involves a router as you usually want an internet connection for your computer as well as your Dish box.
I guess maybe a coax based system for multimedia like MoCA would free up network bandwidth in your home while the kids are watching TV.
As usual, I'm confused by goals associated with "cool new technology" and more mundane goals such as revenue streams for Dish. I won't even mention in itemized form the frequent problems existing ViP DVR's have in everyday use that don't get cleanly solved before new models appear with the same problems doing "cool new stuff" creating more problems.:confused:

I believe with the new Broadcomm Chipset, in the ViP922, we are going to see more use of, exploiting coax that is already run through the house.

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

I believe with the new Broadcomm Chipset, in the ViP922, we are going to see more use of, exploiting coax that is already run through the house.

I also see that happening except most homes have coax systems that have splitters and combiners and, with Dish systems, diplexers. And old mouse-chewed coax is common in the real world, which was fine with analog SD, but with compressed multimedia video/audio streams there will be problems galore. Most homes are just not ideal for equipment that needs multiple wiring systems. And theoretically, Dish Network is supposed to be marketing itself to "most homes."

In other words, I'm not sure whether I should be rewiring my house with Category 7a or RG-60, or both.;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...