Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver without smart card? Sooo what?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Driver_1

Driver_1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

What's the smart card for? What can you not do if you don't have one?

Some ebay receivers have none, and check out zero balance when cross checked at Dish...

AND, are old cards good? I have one in an old box (301 or 311, not sure), and I have an old DTV model DRD502RB with card, and a Hughes HIRD-D1, with card.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

Smart cards are for security, all new Dish receivers have one built in, when hackers start having success getting their programing for free, Dish sends out new smart cards thus making hackers lose the stolen programing. Depending on the model receivers you have with older smart cards, they can still be reactivated with Dish supplying you with a new card in order to get the receivers to work. I cannot confirm Direct tv's procedure, but I'm sure they upgrade their cards as well.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

If you buy a used receiver without a smart card you will have to buy a new card from DISH or the receiver is a boat anchor. If you have a 301 it has a smart card inserted if you have a 311 the smart card is built into the circuit board. The blue cards were replaced with the yellow smart cards and are worthless, the yellow cards are almost replaced with purple cards and could be shut off at any time.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:27 AM

Isn't it true that you can get NASA, a few other public service, and the barker channels with no card?

I'm pretty sure last time I tried my deactivated Dishnetwork receiver I got those channels. The receiver did have a card, just no subscription.

#5 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

Yes, those are always available, since they're public interest and Dish gets paid by the 'barker's (nice term, BTW. Will blatantly steal it. :) ) to always show those channels. That's why you still have some programming, even when suspended/cutoff.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#6 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:32 AM

Since DiSH is doing the "barking" they do not get paid except by themselves. ;)

BTW: Some of those receivers will stop functioning after a predefined period without a valid subscription.

#7 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

Isn't it true that you can get NASA, a few other public service, and the barker channels with no card?

I'm pretty sure last time I tried my deactivated Dishnetwork receiver I got those channels. The receiver did have a card, just no subscription.

It use to be impossible to use the receiver without a card. I am not sure that you can use the receiver with say an expired built-in card, but it may work.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#8 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

It use to be impossible to use the receiver without a card. I am not sure that you can use the receiver with say an expired built-in card, but it may work.

Once Dish replaces cards on a particular model. You need a new card to get it to work. You may be able to view some of the FTA channels Dish has, but you will get the frequent "You need to update your smart card." messages.

#9 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:46 AM

Carded receivers will not work for any channels without a card. They will come up "Smart Card Not Inserted Correctly"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...