Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NAS Solution

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

I was going to post in the "Gadget" section, but I thought it will be more appropriate here.

I want to be able to serve up my videos, music, and photos from one location (IP Address). I want to be able to get to them via:

PS3, Xbox 360, Kuro (151FD)

1) Do I need a dedicated NAS, or can I just make a Windows box and share a huge hard drive with all my media in it?

2) Is there a particular file format or codec that I should convert all my videos to so that all 3 units can play them?

Can you share your setup if you have something similar? Thanks.
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

If you have any computers running a Microsoft OS, I would recommend a Windows Home Server. Its been one of my most useful tech purchases to date. It is very quiet and very small. Almost all of them have 4 SATA bays and can easily attach a SATA RAID via the eSATA port on the back. This pretty makes any storage problems a non-factor. The WHS will also back up any computer you put the client software on, which is nice if you have several Microsoft computers.

The most common file that is easily playable on all the devices you listed is AVI. HD media files are a different beast. I currently use the MKV format for ripping my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. This works fine on my NMT's, but the PS3 and Xbox won't play them unless you have TVersity setup.

Update: It appears I was wrong about the AVI for all 3 boxes, it looks like WMV is your best bet. Unless there is a firmware update I'm unaware of, it looks like the Kuro will only play AVI files if you change the extention to M4V. I haven't tried it, but don't think this will work for the Xbox and PS3.

Edited by phat78boy, 28 May 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

Is the Home Server OS available for stand-alone purchase? (It shows as "deactivated" on Newegg)

I just bought the Kuro and the 360 within the last 3 weeks, so I can't spring another $500 for another box. Not putting down the suggestion or anything, I just thought I'd find a "free" solution using the computers I already have.
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people." - Mr. Garrison from South Park
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots." - Cluelessness from despair.com

#4 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

I guess I can let go of #2. If it does not play on one, then it will probably play on the other two.

#5 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

You can still purchase WHS software on several sites. Amazon and Tigerdirect still have it listed for purchase.

I was suggesting using a WHS as you can find the WHS servers for pretty much the same price as comparable NAS devices and they do so much more. My only issue with using a dedicated computer is if it is used by people in the house hold, it could impact playback and cause other issues while someone is on it.

#6 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

Is the Home Server OS available for stand-alone purchase? (It shows as "deactivated" on Newegg)

I just bought the Kuro and the 360 within the last 3 weeks, so I can't spring another $500 for another box. Not putting down the suggestion or anything, I just thought I'd find a "free" solution using the computers I already have.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116550

#7 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:52 AM

BTW, I have a WHS machine that I built and it is the best money that I have ever spent on electronics.

#8 OFFLINE   airpolgas

airpolgas

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

$99 sure is better than $500. Thanks.

No worries, phat78boy. My WHS server will be stand-alone and won't be used as a workstation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...