Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KAET OTA

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:38 PM

Anyone else have trouble getting KAET since it went digital only on VHF high 8? I can't get it with my HR20-700 or my Sammy's built in tuner.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

Anyone else have trouble getting KAET since it went digital only on VHF high 8? I can't get it with my HR20-700 or my Sammy's built in tuner.

Yes, but I'm using a UHF only antenna. When they first switched over last month I was getting them fine for a while, but not anymore.

What kind of antenna are you using?

#3 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:53 PM

Sounds like an antenna issue, make sure your antenna is "high VHF" capable. I am sure after June 12th, there will be a lot more problems like this as channels move around.

#4 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:57 AM

I'm using a Terk HDTVi and is VHF High/Low capable.

Posted Image

HDTVi
Directional indoor UHF/VHF HDTV antenna

Features:
Optimized for HDTV reception
UHF and VHF elements for reception of all available broadcasts (channel 2-69)
Highly directional UHF element reduces signal interference
Product specifications subject to
change without notification.

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:16 AM

What area of town are you in? You may need to get an outdoor antenna depending on where you live.

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

Just south of the Esplanade, 12 miles from the antenna farm on South Mountain

#7 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Just south of the Esplanade, 12 miles from the antenna farm on South Mountain

Dumb question here, perhaps, but... you've moved the rabbit ears all around trying to lock on a signal?

#8 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Dumb question here, perhaps, but... you've moved the rabbit ears all around trying to lock on a signal?

Yes.

Edited by machavez00, 12 June 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yes, and extended the VHF antenna to full length as well.

Well now all of a sudden I'm getting 8-1 again.

Is your antenna amplified? If it is amplified, try unplugging the power and see if that helps. Sometimes amplified antennas make things worse.

If you can't get 8, 10, 12 next week when the switch over happens, I'd recommend an amplified or an outdoor antenna.

You may have buildings in the way. I had a friends who used to live down there and they couldn't get any signals either.

BTW, all of the locals are available on D* now, and I do know about the channel 8 *burps* they are having.

Anyways, sorry to ramble. Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

Channel 8 has already shut off the analog transmitter and is digital on 8. I played with The antenna today and finally got all the channels to come in. I almost went to BB and bought one of the new flat antennas.
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

I lost 8 as well when they switched. I am in the Tatum Ranch area, had no problems with any OTAs prior, but now 8 has dropped off, I have to stretch out my rabbit ears on my Terk to almost horizontal and aim them directly toward the south, totally impractical. I have Dish, but sure enjoy bringing in additional OTA channels so I can record 3 HD shows at once. One of those stupid principle of unintended consequences, people who used to get HD OTA now can't.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#12 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

Nope I am using a UHF only antenna. so it is a good thing D* gives it to me. I was under the impression all Digital signals were to remain in the UHF spectrum . that's why I bought the antenna I did.

here is the official word from KAET Eight’s digital channels are on the air in the Phoenix area. At midnight on April 29 we moved the digital signal from channel 29 (UHF) to channel 8 (VHF).
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#13 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Nope I am using a UHF only antenna. so it is a good thing D* gives it to me. I was under the impression all Digital signals were to remain in the UHF spectrum . that's why I bought the antenna I did.

Nope. Channels 52-69 will be gone as will MOST use of channels 2-6, but there's no "UHF only" aspect to the transition. In fact, many stations with analogs on high VHF (7-13) are moving their digital signals back to high VHF when they turn off analog.

But there will be some markets where all the signals will be UHF. And only a few stations will be broadcasting digitally on low VHF (2-6).
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#14 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

I was getting all the local digital channels fine last time I checked, this morning had my TV scan and lost 8 and 10.....can't get them back.

I'd hate to spend $$$ on a new inside antenna, tried several in the past and the results were spotty at best.

#15 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

It's really odd - I've seen all these promos and warings about the digital transition but really NO warnings whatsoever about channels moving from UHF to VHF. They always say if you can receive the digital signal now then you will be fine. Well this isn't really the case if you have a UHF only antenna and channels move to VHF.

Heck - couldnt even find any mention of it on abc15.com this morning after they switched last night moving from UHF to VHF.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#16 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:57 AM

It's really odd - I've seen all these promos and warings about the digital transition but really NO warnings whatsoever about channels moving from UHF to VHF. They always say if you can receive the digital signal now then you will be fine. Well this isn't really the case if you have a UHF only antenna and channels move to VHF.

Yup. I think this was the "weak link" in all the educational efforts. They kept talking about antennas and converter boxes, but they never much educated people on the differences between VHF and UHF and that you might need different antennas if the broadcast signal is moved from UHF to VHF. This is particularly true for stations with high VHF analog signals and UHF digital signals, many of which are moving back to high VHF today.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#17 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

I use the Terk HDTVi. All I had to do was extend the dipoles a bit in a V (as pictured) to get VHF-Hi. Fortunately none are going to VHF-Lo because that requires the dipoles to be fully extended horizontally.
Posted Image

spam firewall