Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's TODAY! Are you ready? (2.8M homes are not)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Of course, the people here are really on top of the NTSC shutdown, but since you're all so well-prepared, have you taken the time to help prepare your friends, neighbors and family?

I have neighbors who rely on OTA. I plan to be available on June12 to help them rescan and use their converter boxes.

I know some cable companies are shutting down analog cable on June 12. Their customers will have to get set-top boxes. I know some people in that position.

If you have planned recordings through your DVR for Friday, June 12 on an OTA channel, are you prepared with a backup plan?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

I'm actually not as ready as I thouhgt I was. I currently have a UHF only antenna and I discovered yesterday that two channels I care about will be in the VHF band.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#3 OFFLINE   kenva

kenva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

I'm actually not as ready as I thouhgt I was. I currently have a UHF only antenna and I discovered yesterday that two channels I care about will be in the VHF band.

I'm in a very similar situation. I've been wondering for a while how many people out there think they are ready for the switch and are not aware that many digital channels are changing as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Of Course. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

Of course, the people here are really on top of the NTSC shutdown, but since you're all so well-prepared, have you taken the time to help prepare your friends, neighbors and family?

I have neighbors who rely on OTA. I plan to be available on June12 to help them rescan and use their converter boxes.

I know some cable companies are shutting down analog cable on June 12. Their customers will have to get set-top boxes. I know some people in that position.

If you have planned recordings through your DVR for Friday, June 12 on an OTA channel, are you prepared with a backup plan?

Ready for what? :lol:
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

I've got a nice big VHF/UHF antenna on my roof, and have been getting great signal strength for years. Only one station has been giving me trouble, and that one's switching to VHF.

Until about a year ago, I worked at an electronics store. I'm extremely glad I don't work there anymore!

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:11 AM

I have found it interesting that KCAL 9 in LA will be slowly decreasing the signal strength of their analogue broadcast between the 1st and 12th, while leaving their current digital channel 43 at full power.. then on the 12th, they will be moving their digital signal to 9... Its interesting because they are slowly decreasing the signal rather than just flipping the switch.... I know it will be all kinds of fun to rescan.. and I wonder if Directv will have any issues... I kind of want to be tuned in to an analogue station when they flip it off.. I am curios if they just flip it, or if they will have a count down or something... I'd have a clock on screen at all times for the last 3 days, with a message saying rescan after the clock expires...

#8 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:59 AM

:(Channel 3 in Cleveland is having problems installing it's antenna for their new UHF digital assignment. They may not be ready on June 12th. If that is the case, they will still have to broadcast their digital channel on channel 2. Channel 2 is the worse channel for digital broadcasting because of all the manmade noise on 50 mc that keeps many viewers from receiving their station.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#9 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

:(Channel 3 in Cleveland is having problems installing it's antenna for their new UHF digital assignment. They may not be ready on June 12th. If that is the case, they will still have to broadcast their digital channel on channel 2. Channel 2 is the worse channel for digital broadcasting because of all the manmade noise on 50 mc that keeps many viewers from receiving their station.

Here in the Youngstown-Warren area I am hoping Channel 3.1 and 3.2's signal strenght gets a boost, along with Channel 19.1, also I Record alot of stuff off of 43.2 (THIS) with my AM21....

Oh, did I mention I am ready?

#10 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:22 AM

I'm ready for the DTV reminders to get off my screen!!!!!!!!!!

#11 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Yep. Been ready for a while. I'm a D* customer with locals anyway, but I also have the OTA solution ready for a year, just in case I get tired of paying for TV. Got the 91XG and YA-1713 at the ready and all is well. I actually watch my locals OTA most of the time anyway.

Looking forward to just getting this over and done with. And it looks like it's really going to happen this time.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

All of our Big 4 networks did the change over on 2/17/09 except NBC. If people here didn't notice, they were not paying attention.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Have had great OTA HD reception on all locals for almost 5 years. Now with the final switch 2 of our locals are switching back to their old analog station frequency (7 & 13) with their digital signal..... :mad:

Not happy to say the least. I am 45 miles from the towers and have great line of sight but now I have to see if I can pull in High VHF with a UHF only Antenna (Channel Master 4228). They say 13 is quite possible but maybe not 7.

I just ordered a Winegard UHF/VHF pre-amp so I will see if I can pull them in on the big switch day. If I can't, I guess I will be ordering a Ginormous UHF/VHF Combo antenna to go along with the pre-amp.
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#14 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:43 AM

I've been ready for over a year.. I am also ready for those messages at the bottom of the screen to go away. :D

#15 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

Have had great OTA HD reception on all locals for almost 5 years. Now with the final switch 2 of our locals are switching back to their old analog station frequency (7 & 13) with their digital signal..... :mad:

We have only one station in the Austin market that is changing its frequency; the FOX affiliate is moving from 56 to 7. So in reality, that would seem to be the only one that might be a problem -- not so much for my ability to receive the signal (I already have a YA-1713 pointed in the right direction to prepare for it), but because I have a D* HR20 which doesn't allow full channel scanning, so who knows how long until I'll be able to get Fox OTA until they fix their channel mappings.

Everything else is already in its post-transition frequency, so nothing else should be a concern.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#16 OFFLINE   msmith

msmith

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

Is it midnight between June 11 and 12, or midnight between June 12 and 13?

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

I believe the final cutoff is midnight, June 12, 2009. However, I think stations may cut over anytime on June 12 if that is the day they said they would cut off. I've been trying to nail this down as well, and I think there may be some statement to the FCC as to what time of day they expect to cut over on a station-by-station basis.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   kocuba

kocuba

Icon

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

They were just finishing up the new tower that the antenna will be sitting on last week. Hopefully they have begun mounting the new antenna during this week. But not certain as I have not driven past it this week. But it seems like they are on track to be ready for June 12th as WVIZ will also be sitting on that tower and they just finish some FCC filings that allow them to start at full power when ever they are ready. So hopefully Channel 3 is not far behind.

Here in the Youngstown-Warren area I am hoping Channel 3.1 and 3.2's signal strenght gets a boost, along with Channel 19.1, also I Record alot of stuff off of 43.2 (THIS) with my AM21....

Oh, did I mention I am ready?

Not sure if Channel 3's new tower will help you in that situation, but I wish you luck.

BTW I am also ready as are my parents and in-laws and my camper.
Dave

HR20-700 connected to Zenith Z50PV220 50" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA
HR20-700 Connected to Hitachi P42H401 42" Plasma, Networked, Native Off, OTA

#19 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

I believe the final cutoff is midnight, June 12, 2009....

So, does that mean 12:00 AM 12 June (that is, one minute after 11:59pm 11 June?) I might just have the stay up late that night.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I would swear one of my local stations has been running a crawl stating they would do their cutover in the afternoon on the 12th.

I understand why they wouldn't do it late at night... so I'm guessing many stations will try to find a time of the day that is the least disruptive to their local viewers in case there are any problems from the technical side.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall