Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's TODAY! Are you ready? (2.8M homes are not)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,458 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

I've got a few OTA ATSC tuners that lost WTVD , but strangely any Echostar DTVPAL boxes are not having any issues with it. Signal strength was greatly reduced - I'll try some tweaking tomorrow to see if I can make things better. I think a VHF preamp is in my future, however.

Any UHF stations that are staying on UHF were just fine with my existing setup.

That pretty much echos my experience thus far. My channel 11 isn't breaking up, but is at 65 vs the 100 I was getting yesterday... so I'd like to improve upon that for futureproofing from weather.

I already wasn't getting WUNC very well (unrelated to the digital conversion scenario)... but figured there was no point putting much effort into tweaking until after they switch frequencies so I could know for sure whether I was introducing problems or it was them switching.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

From KXTV (Sacramento, CA) - The obligatory "We thought they would push the deadline back yet again" story.

Meanwhile, from KOVR-13/KMAX-31....

now that's funny! :lol:
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#203 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:45 AM

2 is still on here in Nashville, but skip is hitting it pretty hard. 5 has switched to digital. I can't wait until they turn 2 off, so I can see what the skip is!

2 turned off at 12:01, but no skip anymore, probably because most east coast Channel 2's are off air.

The new digital VHFs are coming in nicely. I even did a rescan on the break room TV at work. Amazingly, it picks up most DTV stations, with just the coax in the wall.

Meanwhile, I explained to my co-workers what happened today. Most were fascinated that we get so many channels OTA. However, one swore it was satellite, and thought I was lying about OTA. :rolleyes:

#204 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:29 AM

Only KVIE-6 is off-air at the moment, but they have to change frequencies.

Funny how, during the one minute on KXTV when they switch transmitters, the guy was saying "You should only be seeing us on Comcast cable." Uhhh.... I'm seeing you on DirecTV.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#205 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

Went to Wally World yesterday to pick up a new coffee maker and other odds and ends. The guy in front of me was getting a converter, resisted the urge to ask him why he waited. Outside the store I notice the discarded box for another converter as I was throwing away a wrapper in the trash can. It's like it's been said on these boards, some people just have to get slapped in the face before they take action.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#206 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

The NC Association of Broadcasters had a phone bank set up at Elon University. According to reports, most of the questions they got were wanting help with setting the converter box up (I guess lots of people had them but figured they would wait until they had to install them). However, they did say they had one call from a woman who had no idea what was going on and had never heard of the DTV transition.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#207 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:56 AM

Went to Wally World yesterday to pick up a new coffee maker and other odds and ends. The guy in front of me was getting a converter, resisted the urge to ask him why he waited. Outside the store I notice the discarded box for another converter as I was throwing away a wrapper in the trash can. It's like it's been said on these boards, some people just have to get slapped in the face before they take action.

Maybe he just got his coupon. Maybe he forgot about the spare TV in the back room which is not hooked up to cable/sat. Maybe he has a digital TV, but didn't realize that he would need a converter to record OTA on his VCR or DVD recorder.

#208 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

DirecTV's Memphis Channel 5 WMC-TV HD Local went dark when WMC shut off their analog signal at 12:01 am. WMC is one of two local Memphis stations that were also switching their digital channel at conversion time. Funny thing is D*'s SD version of WMC is still operating.

I've been ready for DTV since 1999.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#209 OFFLINE   RoboDad

RoboDad

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:00 AM

Maybe he just got his coupon. Maybe he forgot about the spare TV in the back room which is not hooked up to cable/sat. Maybe he has a digital TV, but didn't realize that he would need a converter to record OTA on his VCR or DVD recorder.

I think you are giving the guy far too much credit.

Yesterday, one of the local stations here in Boise (KTVB 7) ran announcements ALL DAY LONG that they had a phone bank set up to answer questions. When the 10 PM news broadcast began, the anchor was standing behind a table, where 8 people were sitting in front of phones, none of which were ringing. He once again announced that the phone bank was open, and gave out the number. Within 10 seconds of him giving out the number, all 8 of the phones lit up, and stayed that way for the rest of the broadcast.

That station was also the only one to make any kind of fanfare out of the transition. They talked about it throughout most of the newscast, including an interview with a retired station manager who had started with the company in 1956 as a young guy, and worked his way up until he ran the station until 1996. Then, they had one of the oldest surviving emeritus employees do the honors of "pushing the button" at the end of the newscast. After the button had been pressed, the anchor said "if you can still see us, I guess you're OK!"

Ironically, this was the only local station that was changing frequency. About 10 minutes after the newscast ended, they went dark (on both OTA and Dish, both SD and HD) for about an hour while they made the switch, leading me to believe that Dish doesn't get their feeds through fiber optics.

All of the other stations made their transitions very quietly, and I didn't notice any disruptions.

#210 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

NY DMA
It seemed to take longer than they were originally saying. Most of them starting switching at 12:30PM. Many of them share the antenna space on the Empire State Building. NBC and FOX were not changing Digital frequency and stayed on. ABC was back, having moved to its old analog frequncy in about 20 minutes. CBS had to move from its tempoary frequency 56 to a new one at 33, and took over 2 hours when they were saying originally to rescan just after 12:30. PBS station WLIW also took about 2 hours. WPIX, and WNET switched back to there analog frequency, WPIX was back by they time I first checked, and WNET in about 45 minutes. Various other station either didn't switch there digital frequency or did it fairly quickly.

As of few hours ago (about 9:30AM on Saturday) I still see 8 analog stations up. 2 minor stations seem to have continued. 4 strange stations that I can't identify are up. And surprisingly CBS and NBC have a special analog signal up telling people how to convert. I don't know if the FCC allowed, encouraged, or even forced these conversion channels to stay on here and in other areas of the country.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#211 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

Yes, the FCC encouraged stations that would not interfere with new digital assignments to broadcast "nightlight" service letting people know about the conversion.

Glad to see a couple were able to.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#212 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

, they did say they had one call from a woman who had no idea what was going on and had never heard of the DTV transition.

It amazes me that with all the publisity over the last year and especially over the last week that there are people who still claim they never heard of the DTV transition. Do these people just tune this stuff out? Even my parents were ready and they are the most un tech type people you'd ever meet. My mom for example did not want a DVR when they got Dish Network because she though it had something to do with radio (shthoughthe R stood for radio) and she was not going to pay for radio. I had to show her our DVR because explanig it to her did no good yet they were ready for the digital transition. If my tech impared mom can be ready than evryone should be ready. BTW, They have dish network but stil get their locals OTA.

#213 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

It amazes me that with all the publisity over the last year and especially over the last week that there are people who still claim they never heard of the DTV transition. Do these people just tune this stuff out?

I was talking to people at work yesterday about the transition. Most of them knew about it, and were glad it was over. We get a lot more channels on the break room TV now. :) Later on, I showed the new channels to a co-worker. She didn't believe me when I said it was OTA. She swore it was Comcast, and thought I was lying. :nono2:

#214 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:07 PM

At least for now, I'm getting RTV on 25.2 out of Evansville, but I don't know how dependable the signal is and I'm not wild about having to rotate the antenna every time I want to change stations.

RTV, RTN, RetroTV are all the same thing, right?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#215 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

Yes, the FCC encouraged stations that would not interfere with new digital assignments to broadcast "nightlight" service letting people know about the conversion.

Glad to see a couple were able to.

That is correct. I beliee in Chicago WFLD TV is running the nightlight service on its anologue signal on channel 32. I think they are the only Chicago station doing this.

#216 OFFLINE   Dan9

Dan9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:57 PM

I mainly just have a question, I thought I was ready for yesterday, but I was wondering if I am now? I have an HDTV with an ATSC tuner, and an OTA antenna, but I've scanned my TV about 6 times since yesterday morning, and I don't get anything DT station that I got before the switch? I tried the initial setup again this morning, and nothing happened doing that, is there anything else I could try cause I live in an area where the only way to get locals is either OTA or by getting cable, and I'm never gonna get cable? Thank you very much for any input you can give me, and have a great day, bye.

#217 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

Has anyone seen anything about how prisons are doing? I saw a story a number of months ago, back before the February date) about how the lack of converters for prisoners could cause problems when they can't watch TV anymore.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#218 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

I mainly just have a question, I thought I was ready for yesterday, but I was wondering if I am now? I have an HDTV with an ATSC tuner, and an OTA antenna, but I've scanned my TV about 6 times since yesterday morning, and I don't get anything DT station that I got before the switch? I tried the initial setup again this morning, and nothing happened doing that, is there anything else I could try cause I live in an area where the only way to get locals is either OTA or by getting cable, and I'm never gonna get cable? Thank you very much for any input you can give me, and have a great day, bye.

Put your location into one of the sites such as Antennaweb.org to see what stations you should be getting. If any of your stations on VHF and your OTA antenna is UHF only that may be your problem.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#219 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm going to close this and open up a new thread on OTA transition issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall