Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's TODAY! Are you ready? (2.8M homes are not)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

For the earlier cutover date, the local stations were mostly going at the noon hour, if I recall correctly.

I haven't heard when they currently plan.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:02 PM

Here's what I've dug up.

The last possible moment for full-power analog broadcasting seems to be 11:59:59.999 on Friday, June, 12. In other words, when Friday turns to Saturday, analog will be history.

The attached spreadsheet comes from DTV.gov and seems to show the rough times of day when the switchover will occur for each particular station.

So, my suggestion would be to have a backup plan for every recording scheduled for 6/12/09 on an OTA station* and do a final scan on 6/13 that should take into account all final frequency assignments.

*Some locals provided by cable and satellite get to the provider by way of an OTA antenna. The provider will also have to do a rescan that day, so it might not be a bad idea to have a backup plan for recordings on locals via satellite.

Attached Files

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 04 June 2009 - 02:33 PM.
clarification

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

It all depends on the station - they had to file Form 387's at the FCC about their plans.

For the record - the official end of analog is 2359 local time June 12, 2009. Stations can start shutdown at 0000 June 12,2009 unless they have had to earlier.

For me - I know of at least 2 stations that are shutting down analog at 1300, and one of those will commence nightlight operation until the first week of July. Most of the rest of the stations that have to move / shutdown analog will be doing so around midnight.

Your results will vary, depending on your location and stations. :D
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#24 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:06 PM

I know in the Atlanta TV DMA, WSB-TV, Channel 2 will end its analog service at 12:30 p.m., June 12, during their 1 hour Noon newscast. Other Atlanta stations that have not already ditched analog will do so at 11:59 p.m. on June 12.

#25 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:15 PM

Here's what I've dug up.

The last possible moment for analog broadcasting seems to be 11:59:59.999 on Friday, June, 12. In other words, when Friday turns to Saturday, analog will be history.

The attached spreadsheet comes from DTV.gov and seems to show the rough times of day when the switchover will occur for each particular station.

So, my suggestion would be to have a backup plan for every recording scheduled for 6/12/09 on an OTA station* and do a final scan on 6/13 that should take into account all final frequency assignments.

*Some locals provided by cable and satellite get to the provider by way of an OTA antenna. The provider will also have to do a rescan that day, so it might not be a bad idea to have a backup plan for recordings on locals via satellite.

Did you put that spreadsheet together, because that took ALOT of work to put together...

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

Oh, most certainly I did not. The fine people at the FCC did that for me. They did a fabulous job in my opinion.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

Apparently we're ready to go all the way back to the dark ages.

At least we had one OTA station available, a bankrupt independent Spanish language station from a repeater that was slated to go digital and still appears on the Google mapping site. But the station being "repeated" is reportedly scheduled to go dark according to a Multichannel News article which links to a PDF (of a spreadsheet list that has the most important column on page 2).

Such is rural living....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Not sure if Channel 3's new tower will help you in that situation, but I wish you luck.

Thanks, 5, 8, 17 45, 49, 43, 61, 67, from Cleveland come in crystal clear, no 3 or 19....

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

Looks like 10 channels will be moving here in la... Should be interesting to see how it all goes down..

#30 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,182 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

Also looks like stations are going at kinds of different times, so everyone will be rescanning all day, but I'd say do a scan on Saturday to be sure after all the dust has settled...

#31 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

[quote name='kocuba']They were just finishing up the new tower that the antenna will be sitting on last week. Hopefully they have begun mounting the new antenna during this week. But not certain as I have not driven past it this week. But it seems like they are on track to be ready for June 12th as WVIZ will also be sitting on that tower and they just finish some FCC filings that allow them to start at full power when ever they are ready. So hopefully Channel 3 is not far behind.

One of the their retired engineers told me the winds have been too high to install the antenna. The new antenna will allow them to operate on UHF channel 17. That should increase the range and inprove the quality over broadcasting on noisy VHF channel 2.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#32 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:37 AM

Is it me, or does this remind you of another technology deadline we've seen before (Y2K)?

I'm sure they'll be some hiccups, but generally nationwide....much ado about nothing.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#33 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,231 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

Is it me, or does this remind you of another technology deadline we've seen before (Y2K)?

I'm sure they'll be some hiccups, but generally nationwide....much ado about nothing.

And, let's not forget...

It's only TV.

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,081 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

And, let's not forget...

It's only TV.

Yes...let's not...

:feelbette:rolling:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#35 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

I am ready, as I have E*, but my GF's mother is OTA. I have set her up with converter boxes, but I won't be able to get over to help her re-scan until Sunday, since we have a wedding to go to on Sat. If one of "her" programs is on a channel that moves and she can't figure out how to re-scan herself, she'll be SOL for a day.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#36 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

Here's what I've dug up.

The last possible moment for full-power analog broadcasting seems to be 11:59:59.999 on Friday, June, 12. In other words, when Friday turns to Saturday, analog will be history.

Thanks for the list, Stuart.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#37 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,810 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

Looks like 10 channels will be moving here in la... Should be interesting to see how it all goes down..

Welcome to my world.... about 70% of my stations are moving / shutting down analog next friday - and no real coordination on times with each other...

#38 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

Apparently we're ready to go all the way back to the dark ages.

At least we had one OTA station available, a bankrupt independent Spanish language station from a repeater that was slated to go digital and still appears on the Google mapping site. But the station being "repeated" is reportedly scheduled to go dark according to a Multichannel News article which links to a PDF (of a spreadsheet list that has the most important column on page 2).

Such is rural living....

If you're talking about KTNC (Spanish station from Concord/Mt Diablo). It was reported they were sold and will be staying on the air and joining a new Spanish network being formed. http://sfppc.blogspo...-joins-new.html Yet another channel I'd never watch, but I know there is a market for them.

#39 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I'm ready for the DTV reminders to get off my screen!!!!!!!!!!

What I don't understand is that I am getting these reminders on what is already a digital transmission.

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

What I don't understand is that I am getting these reminders on what is already a digital transmission.

I had that thought too... but then many stations are not only flipping off their analog but also changing digital frequencies too... so even people already watching digital broadcasts might be confused post-transition if they don't rescan their channels to pick up the new/different frequencies.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...