Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's TODAY! Are you ready? (2.8M homes are not)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

And many stations are hoping people who know people who haven't switched will help them prepare.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

I had that thought too... but then many stations are not only flipping off their analog but also changing digital frequencies too... so even people already watching digital broadcasts might be confused post-transition if they don't rescan their channels to pick up the new/different frequencies.

Lordy - especially for us !!

WRAL - nightlight on analog 5, moving digital from 53 to 48
WTVD - shutting off analog, moving DTV from 52 to 11
WNCN - shutting off analog, moving DTV from 55 to 17
WLFL - analog off, moving DTV from 57 to 27
WRDC - analog off, moving DTV from 27 to 28
And then there are the WUNC stations...

plus the stations that just have to power off analog because they are already on final DTV

next Friday / Saturday is going to be so much fun in the Raleigh DMA....

Rescan early and often !!! :D
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,863 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Yeah, it would be hard to imagine more change than in our DMA... I'm hoping nothing is good on at the time they make the full switch of all our locals so I can wait until it's over and rescan once and be done.

I'm kind of afraid, though, that they will all switch at different times during the day and keep me busy.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#44 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

We might be the largest market with so many VHF locals it ain't even funny.

People will need high VHF for PBS, Fox, and NBC here (8-10-12). They'll need it down in Tucson for ABC (9).

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#45 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

Your time is coming brother TV sinners. Are you ready? Repent now before it's too late! :eek2:

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#46 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

Your time is coming brother TV sinners. Are you ready? Repent now before it's too late! :eek2:

--- CHAS

^Appropriate for a Sunday.

One last thing to do, cash in my converter coupon. I'm only doing it for back-up in case I do need to connect it to a legacy device. Otherwise the digital switch-over has been a bit of a disappointment for me. I've been doing over-the-air in earnest for 2 years now after having an outdoor antenna installed, powered indoor just didn't cut it. I received NBC and PBS back then. No additions until a week ago when the local ABC added 2 digital channels. I originally thought they would be ABC and CBS in HD, but no such luck. The CBS is a sub-channel so it's 480i 4:3. Still waiting to find out if I'll pick the local FOX digital feed since I'm on a fringe area. Stopped by their office to see if they'd activate the final feed yet and was told not yet, but I'm not sure the person knew what they were talking about.

I was hoping that all the Network feeds would be available in HD over-the-air in my area, but no way.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#47 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,082 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

If folks aren't ready for this after years of publicizing it, subsidizing converter units, pushing back the conversion target date, and now daily repeating the warnings of the date...then personally.....no sympathy here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#48 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

I think the thing that will cause the confusion is the channels that are changing their Digital freq June 12th. In the SF DMA KGO (ABC) is changing back to channel 7, that could confuse people that go to bed Thus night watching ABC and wake up the next day and it's no longer there. In the Sacramento DMA you have KTXL (Fox), KXTV (ABC), and KIVE (PBS) all moving to a new frequency, plus KCRA (NBC) won't be at full power until Sept. I know they keep saying "rescan, rescan" but I would imaigne some people won't have a clue how to do it or have since thrown out the directions to their TV/box. I know my parents wouldn't have a clue how to do it and they are fairly technical.

#49 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

I think the thing that will cause the confusion is the channels that are changing their Digital freq June 12th. In the SF DMA KGO (ABC) is changing back to channel 7, that could confuse people that go to bed Thus night watching ABC and wake up the next day and it's no longer there. In the Sacramento DMA you have KTXL (Fox), KXTV (ABC), and KIVE (PBS) all moving to a new frequency, plus KCRA (NBC) won't be at full power until Sept. I know they keep saying "rescan, rescan" but I would imaigne some people won't have a clue how to do it or have since thrown out the directions to their TV/box. I know my parents wouldn't have a clue how to do it and they are fairly technical.

You might be surprised what your parents can do. My DMA has more than 5 stations turning off/ moving DTV channels on the 12th - rescan early and often...

#50 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

I am well ready. In fact, out of 6 TVs we only have one old school tube TV anymore, in the guest room and it is hooked up to a DirecTV SD box, so it is fine also.

My main question will be is DirecTV ready as they will be responsible for updating the mappings for the channels that change frequencies here so I can keep watching on my HR20s.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#51 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

My main question will be is DirecTV ready as they will be responsible for updating the mappings for the channels that change frequencies here so I can keep watching on my HR20s.

Yeah -- the OTA implementation stinks on these boxes, IMO. Fortunately we only have one station changing frequency, and we also get that station in HD from satellite, so it would be a minor inconvenience in our case. People in markets where a lot of stations are changing frequencies could be screwed for a while, especially if they don't have locals through D* (or they do but they aren't HD).
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#52 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

I still think the issue is those channels changing frequencies, with some going back to VHF that could be the issue for people that haven't purchased a "high VHF" antenna. Their favorite channels could be gone from view but they won't understand why/what happened. It's my understanding that digital signals don't travel as well as analog signals for those of us in the west with many hills/mtns in the way between transmission and reception. I guess we'lll see what really happens by next monday when people are back at work and complaining about what they missed/can't see anymore.

#53 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

I think this going to be such a non-event (think Y2K)...

#54 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

What digital TV transition?

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

I think there will be a lot of talk and a lot of confusion on Friday, but by Monday, it will all be over.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

I though the FCC was trying to "clear out" the VHF analog TV freqs to be able to sell them. I never understood why some digital channels are remaining on VHF. In NY it's only ABC-7 staying on VHF.

#57 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I can see the crawls now:

"IF YOU CANNOT SEE THIS STATION YOU NEED A CONVERTER BOX." :lol:

I think there will be a lot of talk and a lot of confusion on Friday, but by Monday, it will all be over.

#58 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

I can see the crawls now:

"IF YOU CANNOT SEE THIS STATION YOU NEED A CONVERTER BOX." :lol:

More so with the local newspapers coming to the aid of local viewers that can't find their favorite programs with help on how to "tune" their new converter boxes. :lol:

#59 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ive been ready since 2004. Thats when I got my first OTA HD Digital set top box. Ive had Directv HD for several years now. Im just glad that all the commercials will finally end.

I hope Directv is ready, but I have the feeling that the stations changing channel #s will cause havoc with channels not showing up.

#60 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

I though the FCC was trying to "clear out" the VHF analog TV freqs to be able to sell them.

The frequencies they are "clearing out" are on UHF -- channels 52-69.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

Protected By... spam firewall...And...