Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

It's TODAY! Are you ready? (2.8M homes are not)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
218 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

My main question will be is DirecTV ready as they will be responsible for updating the mappings for the channels that change frequencies here so I can keep watching on my HR20s.

Yeah -- the OTA implementation stinks on these boxes, IMO. Fortunately we only have one station changing frequency, and we also get that station in HD from satellite, so it would be a minor inconvenience in our case. People in markets where a lot of stations are changing frequencies could be screwed for a while, especially if they don't have locals through D* (or they do but they aren't HD).
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:22 AM

I still think the issue is those channels changing frequencies, with some going back to VHF that could be the issue for people that haven't purchased a "high VHF" antenna. Their favorite channels could be gone from view but they won't understand why/what happened. It's my understanding that digital signals don't travel as well as analog signals for those of us in the west with many hills/mtns in the way between transmission and reception. I guess we'lll see what really happens by next monday when people are back at work and complaining about what they missed/can't see anymore.

#53 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

I think this going to be such a non-event (think Y2K)...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#54 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

What digital TV transition?

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,939 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:52 AM

I think there will be a lot of talk and a lot of confusion on Friday, but by Monday, it will all be over.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

I though the FCC was trying to "clear out" the VHF analog TV freqs to be able to sell them. I never understood why some digital channels are remaining on VHF. In NY it's only ABC-7 staying on VHF.

#57 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

I can see the crawls now:

"IF YOU CANNOT SEE THIS STATION YOU NEED A CONVERTER BOX." :lol:

I think there will be a lot of talk and a lot of confusion on Friday, but by Monday, it will all be over.

#58 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

I can see the crawls now:

"IF YOU CANNOT SEE THIS STATION YOU NEED A CONVERTER BOX." :lol:

More so with the local newspapers coming to the aid of local viewers that can't find their favorite programs with help on how to "tune" their new converter boxes. :lol:

#59 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

Ive been ready since 2004. Thats when I got my first OTA HD Digital set top box. Ive had Directv HD for several years now. Im just glad that all the commercials will finally end.

I hope Directv is ready, but I have the feeling that the stations changing channel #s will cause havoc with channels not showing up.

#60 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

I though the FCC was trying to "clear out" the VHF analog TV freqs to be able to sell them.

The frequencies they are "clearing out" are on UHF -- channels 52-69.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#61 OFFLINE   pmalve

pmalve

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Does this mean that after Friday we will get the hd signal downcoverted or will we get our hd pbs channels now for those that haven't had them added yet. And will we get the hd version of the significantly viewed channels from neighboring dma's now. It would be nice for me cause we get a couple of NYC channels here in Ct and they show different football games sometimes and being laid off I cant justify buying sunday ticket this year.

#62 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

It's funny I saw this post today.

Just this morning while having breakfast (in Boston area), I saw a furniture ad on channel 4 for Bernie & Phyls furnture. They are giving away a free HDTV with the purchase of furniture.

One of the owner's sons in the TV ad said it was a perfect time to buy furniture this week, because after Friday "You won't need your rabbit ears anymore!".

Get a free new HDTV and everything will work just fine!!

I hope there isn't too much confusion out there........ :grin:

Posted Image

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#63 OFFLINE   DiscDoctor2000

DiscDoctor2000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Is there a designated time of day that stations have to clear their analog broadcasts? I've read that stations are switching over as late as 11:59PM on the 12th.

#64 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,284 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

Is there a designated time of day that stations have to clear their analog broadcasts? I've read that stations are switching over as late as 11:59PM on the 12th.

By federal law, no. They have the entire 24 hour period to switch.

Some local broadcasting associations have worked together to voluntarily agree to a time when most of the stations will switch in unison.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#65 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

More so with the local newspapers coming to the aid of local viewers that can't find their favorite programs with help on how to "tune" their new converter boxes. :lol:

Newspapers? What are those? :D
Rob

#66 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

By federal law, no. They have the entire 24 hour period to switch.

Some local broadcasting associations have worked together to voluntarily agree to a time when most of the stations will switch in unison.

Cheers,
Tom

I figured that might be the case. One of the local stations has been running crawls with 12:00 noon on the 12th as the time, but recently has started saying 1:00 PM. I guess they figured they should at least run their news before any remapping confusion starts, plus it gives them the whole hour (the news runs from 12-1) to hammer the coming change into people's heads.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#67 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:51 PM

I have direct TV HD so Im pretty well set..however I still have Time Warner Road Runner internet.. Surrendered my Top Set box when i got satellite and just kept the high speed internet, naturally I have the coax line split so 1 feeds the modem the other feeds the coax on my HD, you know incase of heavy rainfall takes out my dish signal

Anyone know if Time Warner is sunsetting analog?
and if so do the HD's that you can get via coax without a box (locals only) will that fall victim as well?

I do get some HD channels via the coax no box needed like for CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX/ My Network/ CW / PBS all 1080i & some 720p..and poor 480p versions of the spanish stations Univision/Telemundo/Telefutura / some of the other PBS UHF stations in NYC are also resonating a 480p signal. Time Warner NYC is airing Telemundo Channel 47 WNJU in HD 1080, however this needs a box and isnt available with coax straight thru

If Time Warner sunsets regular analog, are these HD's also going away also or is it only confined to analog snowy analog channels which one would never see them as snowy with digital boxes they may pixelate from time to time but would nvr look snowy.

anyone, class anyone
Bueller??
Bueller??

#68 OFFLINE   FogCutter

FogCutter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:04 PM

Newspapers? What are those? :D

Newspapers are the wrappers used to serve authentic fish and chips.

#69 OFFLINE   lombar

lombar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

So I was curious (and I am sure it is somewhere else in the forums but figured I would ask). If I have OTA already set up on my DirecTV reciever will I need to do another antenna setup or should I be good to go?

#70 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

:(Channel 3 in Cleveland is having problems installing it's antenna for their new UHF digital assignment. They may not be ready on June 12th. If that is the case, they will still have to broadcast their digital channel on channel 2. Channel 2 is the worse channel for digital broadcasting because of all the manmade noise on 50 mc that keeps many viewers from receiving their station.

KSNF wont be ready here either. They will be broadcasting on12-2 for an additional week but that being said I was able to talk the GM into approving me a HD waiver today cause I been waiting for months already. Decided to try since they are not gonna make the cut off.

#71 OFFLINE   DF Wavelength

DF Wavelength

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Here in Denver, KMGH 7 and KUSA 9 switched their signals back in March.
When they did their switch, they each shut off their analog carrier. They also moved their digital carriers back to 7 & 9 in the VHF band, and went full power.

Using using DTVPal converters, I haven't had a headend that couldn't receive the channels. Regardless of antenna type (some UHF only), quality, peak....

I have had problems at a few high-def headends. Using Blonder Tongue DHDP converters, the VHF channels wouldn't lock using a UHF antenna, simply not enough signal.

I am amazed at the input range on many of these digital tuners.
Low signal levels still result in great pictures.

Conversely, I've been modulating KMGH 7 back onto analog 7 in a few headends, with no picture quality issues.

#72 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Yes, you will have to redo OTA setupls because some will/may change frequencies.

So I was curious (and I am sure it is somewhere else in the forums but figured I would ask). If I have OTA already set up on my DirecTV reciever will I need to do another antenna setup or should I be good to go?

#73 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:35 PM

If it's a D* receiver like an HR20 or an AM21, you'll be at the mercy of the channel guide data they provide and where they think the signal can be found. If they don't change the channel mappings for any stations that are changing their digital frequency, you'll get the 771 error until they update it. Sometimes that's taken a LONG, LONG time. Hopefully these transitions are so well known that they'll be processed quickly, though.

#74 OFFLINE   flyingtigerfan

flyingtigerfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

Guess I am ready. All of our stations are keeping their current digital assignments except for good ol' WIS, headed back to Channel 10 from 41. I have a UHF only antenna (CM 4228) and it seems to do okay with WOLO (who does digital on VHF 8) so I'm hopeful it will work for WIS on 10 as well. The antenna is in the attic, where I would like it to stay, so here's hoping.

My concern is that my HR-20 won't know that WIS has moved from 41 to 10, and we'll have to figure that one out.

#75 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

I was born ready. Come Friday, out local ABC channel will switch to a higher frequency and start using a more powerful transmitter. Should be nice.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

Protected By... spam firewall...And...