Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Expedition Africa - History Channel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Anyone else watch this show?

In episode #1, they only made it something like 9 miles and they are supposed to go 900+ in a month? Huh?

Is this show just another of Burnett's shows for the mindless or will it morph into something other than a bunch of back-biting egos in the future?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:44 AM

Anyone else watch this show?

In episode #1, they only made it something like 9 miles and they are supposed to go 900+ in a month? Huh?

Is this show just another of Burnett's shows for the mindless or will it morph into something other than a bunch of back-biting egos in the future?

Haven't watched it, Mike. Is this some kind of reality competition?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Haven't watched it, Mike. Is this some kind of reality competition?

No, its kind of a strange genre, to me. Its 4 "experts" tracing the steps of Stanley as he searches for Dr Livingstone. The "experts" are acting like its a competition, though and some of their "skills" are suspect, IMO.

Not sure if this will make it. The numbers I saw, IIRC, showed that about 60% of the viewers of "Ice Road Truckers" didn't stay with this program, that followed.

#4 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Well, no, the experts are really acting like it is a competition; they're simply rubbing up against each other as most any four strong personalities would.

Expedition Africa would appeal to folks interested in 19th Century History and Nature. Are those the same things that attract folks to Ice Road Truckers?

#5 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

Well, no, the experts are really acting like it is a competition; they're simply rubbing up against each other as most any four strong personalities would.

Expedition Africa would appeal to folks interested in 19th Century History and Nature. Are those the same things that attract folks to Ice Road Truckers?

Apparently the folks at History Channel thought so, they ran IRT 4 minutes long the first showings and then only one hour even in repeats to screw with the schedule ala ABC, CBS, et. al. I saw where IRT will run 2 minutes long this week on its 1st showings and then only one hour after that. Messing with the lead-in show time makes me think that Hist Chann programmers think that they can keep people from changing channels as other shows will be "already in progress" by the time IRT is over.

Will be interesting to see what the ratings are this week. I will go out on a limb and predict they will be even lower for both this show and IRT. IIRC, IRT is the highest rated show on HC, but from what I saw in its 1st episode this season, it may falter soon?

#6 OFFLINE   hillncharge

hillncharge

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

I like the show. It's interesting when they run into different people & participate in their cultural activities.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,253 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:14 PM

I have the first three episodes in the can. Not sure why I haven't watched any of them. Maybe I'm being lured away by Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers and Whale Wars. I'm sure I'll get around to them though.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I like the show. It's interesting when they run into different people & participate in their cultural activities.

Its shot well, too. I have been turning the volume off, so as to not listen to all the bickering amongst the "explorers" and watching the scenery and the parts with the locals. Still hanging in there for that part, but I sure wish they had not done this to make it another "conflict show" and done it more like Deadliest Catch, IRT, Whale Wars, etc. are done. :(

#9 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

I'm watching it slowly on my DVR. Seems cool. I like REAL survival (nature) shows like this.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#10 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

this show has nothing to do with history every time l tune in they are talking about them selves or how tired they are. Also IRT has nothing to do with History good guys but sorry folks IRT wont last. Who ever is in charge of History has ruined the channel.

#11 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

It isn't that the show has "nothing to do with History". It has a lot to do with history, but perhaps not as scholarly and purely historical as you might prefer. Personally, this is the first show on the History Channel, for as long as I remember, that both my wife and I are interested in watching. It seems to me that whoever is in charge of the History Channel is beginning to move the channel in the right direction.

#12 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:08 AM

this show has nothing to do with history every time l tune in they are talking about them selves or how tired they are. Also IRT has nothing to do with History good guys but sorry folks IRT wont last. Who ever is in charge of History has ruined the channel.

After the latest episode in it, stick a fork in it, its done for me. Instead of having much interesting about the swamp that was a desert or the people along the way, it was Pasquale exaggerating his exploits, along with the other 3 pea-brains all arguing, that survivalist reminds me of someone who couldn't find water at a Circle K.

So much for a nature show about the exploits of Stanley, who, by the way, was never, ever the "greatest explorer in history" as this show asserts. :)

Hello, trash TV, goodbye anything with a wee bit of reference to history and nature. Next week they will be bringing incest, partner swapping, adultery, bisexuality, etc. to the forefront as they seek to compete more with the "Springer Crowd".

As for IRT, I am wondering what the female on there is all about. Showing how she can mug for the camera? Demo it doesn't take much of an IQ to drive a semi on ice? (Hugh proved that long ago!) What? That show was good the 1st season, went down the 2nd, and now its falling into the pattern of filler for open time slots, cheap to make, and can maybe have someone who has not seen it before watch it. Was talking to my Dad about it as he watches a lot of TV (he is 87) and he no longer watches IRT as he said "its all been a repeat since the 1st season, so why bother, too much else to watch." Giving up on this series as well.

#13 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

So much for a nature show about the exploits of Stanley, who, by the way, was never, ever the "greatest explorer in history" as this show asserts. :)

Wasn't it Livingstone that they were ascribing that label to?

Hello, trash TV, goodbye anything with a wee bit of reference to history and nature.

And you can thank your neighbors, for not supporting your preferences with regard to programming choices, for this. This is the most frustrating aspect of all entertainment, really: Anyone with an especial interest in certain things is invariably subjected to the reality that such especial interests are generally only lightly held, and therefore receive far less priority than interests that are more widely held.

#14 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

It isn't that the show has "nothing to do with History". It has a lot to do with history, but perhaps not as scholarly and purely historical as you might prefer.

That being the case, I can see any show classified as being "history" in that anywhere you are located on the face of this planet something, at some time, historical happened in that exact location. :) Now I know why "Cops" is a historically oriented show, as is the "Springer Show".

Personally, this is the first show on the History Channel, for as long as I remember, that both my wife and I are interested in watching. It seems to me that whoever is in charge of the History Channel is beginning to move the channel in the right direction.

Whatever floats your boat, but with a nickname of "bicker", I can see a show that has reduced itself to bickering and backbiting between the people on the show should appeal to you. IMO, the cable channels like History have only succeeded because they presented alternatives to "reality OTA" channels and now that they have seen fit to walk the same path, their base will diminish just as it has for OTA channels.

My wife watched the 1st episode of the show with me and declared the show DOA, so its all a matter of choice, some may like it, but others don't. That only matters when enough numbers are on one side or the other to change the ratings, and from what I have seen, this show has low ratings.

#15 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

That being the case, I can see any show classified as being "history" in that anywhere you are located on the face of this planet something, at some time, historical happened in that exact location. :)

I think I know what you're trying to say, despite the typo. However, it is not the case. There are some shows, like this one, that do have significantly more historical content than other shows, even though it doesn't have enough to satisfy you. It is important to recognize that nothing is black-and-white, as you are trying to cast it. There is a measure of perspective that puts a show like "Cops" (that you mentioned) at one level and a show like Expedition Africa at another level.

Whatever floats your boat, but with a nickname of "bicker", I can see a show that has reduced itself to bickering and backbiting between the people on the show should appeal to you.

You don't like what I'm writing, because it contradicts what you believe, but instead of addressing the topic, you choose to make a personal attack.

Oh, and "bicker" is a family name. :nono2:

IMO, the cable channels like History have only succeeded because they presented alternatives to "reality OTA" channels and now that they have seen fit to walk the same path, their base will diminish just as it has for OTA channels.

IMO, that's wishful thinking. These channels are having a hard time performing because the folks who hold the niche interests that underlie the channel's programming focus simply are too few to justify the channel's existence. Therefore, these channels need to broaden their appeal.

Don't get me wrong: I feel for folks who have such minority interests that there aren't enough of them to justify serving their interests wholly. However, this is the real world.

That only matters when enough numbers are on one side or the other to change the ratings, and from what I have seen, this show has low ratings.

Your implication though, that a show that panders to your more purist view of history-oriented programming, would gather greater ratings, is self-serving, and not based on anything other than your own desires. Again, I sympathize, but my belief is that a show that would satisfy you would garner far lower ratings that this show has. Sorry.

#16 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

Wasn't it Livingstone that they were ascribing that label to?

Nope, but then, the show was so ill prepared, they may have ascribed it to him as well. I doubt that you are going to find anyone who would have referred to Livingstone as such, either, except the producers of the show and his relatives. :D

And you can thank your neighbors, for not supporting your preferences with regard to programming choices, for this. This is the most frustrating aspect of all entertainment, really: Anyone with an especial interest in certain things is invariably subjected to the reality that such especial interests are generally only lightly held, and therefore receive far less priority than interests that are more widely held.

Which is why I would love to see ala-carte implemented. That way, if there are enough viewers for a niche channel, it stays, if not, it goes away. If channels like History Channel was supported that way, their veering off into what I consider "reality TV", then be rewarded by more subs from those that like the changes and drops in subs by those who don't. The market would straighten it out in short order. As it is, they now cater to the "lowest common denominator" as OTA has in the past. The upside is that ratings are taking care of that for us in a delayed manner, shows with low ratings cost more to make than they take in, so the networks drop them, eventually, but shows that some would be willing to pay for die along the way. There are several shows on D*'s 101 that apparently fall into that category, I could care less about them, but they DO have a following, just not enough that they weren't killed off by the major OTA networks. "Friday Night Lights" comes to mind in that category.

BTW, if your assertion that everyone loves "reality TV" shows was correct, all programming would have went that way on all networks. It hasn't, so your assertion has apparently not been noted by all of the OTA and cable channels, as of today. Give them time. :D

#17 OFFLINE   bicker1

bicker1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:55 AM

Which is why I would love to see ala-carte implemented. That way, if there are enough viewers for a niche channel, it stays, if not, it goes away.

I think that the net-effect will be negative for all niche interests. At least this way, you get "history-style" if not "purist history". With a la carte, you may get even less.

BTW, if your assertion that everyone loves "reality TV" shows was correct...

Who the #%*! are you talking to? I never said anything even remotely close to that.

Please restrict your replies to my postings to what I actually post, rather than something easier to argue against. Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...