Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Myth busted (Cable company transitions)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

according to this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=159178

if you subscribe to cable you may not be ready for the transition to digital if you cable company goes all digital.

the myth that cable subscribers don't have to worry is busted.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

That's a choice for the cable providers, not a mandate. The cable company could keep the analog signal going for as long as they want, if they want. it's not the same as the OTA broadcast and isn't subject to the government mandated change.
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,109 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

I saw no such statement at your link.

The references to OTA analog signals and cable signals after the deadline are totally unrelated issues.

It would appear to be a misinterpretation of what was said.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

No not busted--unless you want to greatly exaggerate the small number of people who's cable company fails during this time.

Everyone else's cable company will still (more or less) take care of you thru their transition (because it is not the OTA transition, it is purely the cable company's transition.)

Other thoughts:
Most cable companies are only reducing their analog channels, but still leaving the locals as analog for now.
Anyone using digital cable boxes today (or satellite of course) are still going to be fine on June 12.
Besides--anyone not on DIRECTV should be worried anyway... :D (Oh, am I biased...) :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

All very true. It's not possible to blame everything that happens on June 12 on the digital transition.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

No not busted--unless you want to greatly exaggerate the small number of people who's cable company fails during this time.

Everyone else's cable company will still (more or less) take care of you thru their transition (because it is not the OTA transition, it is purely the cable company's transition.)

Other thoughts:
Most cable companies are only reducing their analog channels, but still leaving the locals as analog for now.
Anyone using digital cable boxes today (or satellite of course) are still going to be fine on June 12.
Besides--anyone not on DIRECTV should be worried anyway... :D (Oh, am I biased...) :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

the FCC forced verizon to turn off all analog channels on fios.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

I was not aware of such a myth... nor does it seem that this "busts" it.

Cable companies have the same issue with analog cable that Dish & DirecTV have with their MPEG2 compression.

Cable companies would love to go all digital, just like Dish/DirecTV would love to go MPEG4 across the board with their digital... but there are far too many legacy customers that either would be cut-off from service OR would need to be upgraded before such a conversion/cutoff can happen.

What that means is immediate loss of revenue OR immediate expenditure of upgrades by the cable/satellite companies... and in the case of upgrades, far too many customers to upgrade overnight.

I suspect cable companies to do what satellite has done... and start a slow migration with no longer adding new channels to the old service and moving some existing channels over to the new systems in batches to encourage people to upgrade over the next few years until most do it voluntarily.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Link? And did anyone have to "worry about it?"

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

How does FIOS deliver channels in analog? The same way DirecTV and DISH Network deliver channels in analog?

There is some confusion between the mandated OTA analog shut off and what some cable companies are doing to convert their systems to all digital delivery. As long as cable companies want to keep charging customers they will have to provide a way for those customers to receive a signal. Yes, that means that some people with many TVs pulling analog channels off of a cable without paying "outlet fees" will have to start paying for individual converter boxes (the way satellite customers pay for each outlet, or with DISH duo receivers each pair of outlets). But it does not mean cable customers are out of luck.

They just have to pay for the service they want.

#10 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:01 PM

Link? And did anyone have to "worry about it?"

I read somewhere that if a cable company wants a waiver from the fcc so they have more time to produce digital boxes with seperable security they had to shut down all analog channels.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I read somewhere that if a cable company wants a waiver from the fcc so they have more time to produce digital boxes with seperable security they had to shut down all analog channels.

Now you need to provide two links to back up your statements: FIOS and this one.

Go Packers!

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

How does FIOS deliver channels in analog?

In much the same way as any other modern cable company does: using fiber. The slight difference being that the media conversion is done somewhere inside the home. Once converted to coax, the signal can then be distributed without the need of a digital tuner.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

You need to find different sources. Your sources have been substantially wrong to date.

What has happened is that the cable companies have had to start using the technology that they offered to "give customers choices" in decoding hardware (CableCard) and they're hating it.

#14 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

You need to find different sources. Your sources have been substantially wrong to date.

What has happened is that the cable companies have had to start using the technology that they offered to "give customers choices" in decoding hardware (CableCard) and they're hating it.

here you go http://www.cedmagazi...nnels-FiOS.aspx

#15 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

according to this thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=159178

if you subscribe to cable you may not be ready for the transition to digital if you cable company goes all digital.

the myth that cable subscribers don't have to worry is busted.

But you see... FIOS customers didn't have to worry:

As Verizon phases out the transmission of all analog channels, on a region-by-region basis, it will provide a STB to all FiOS customers who lack one for no additional fee.

FIOS took care of their customers. Where is the worry and therefore a myth?

Go Packers!

#16 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

But you see... FIOS customers didn't have to worry:

FIOS took care of their customers. Where is the worry and therefore a myth?

the myth is will existing cable subscribers need any extra equipent to continure reciveing cable tv services? the answer is obvisously yes if your cable service shuts down analog.

#17 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:49 PM

the myth is will existing cable subscribers need any extra equipent to continure reciveing cable tv services? the answer is obvisously yes if your cable service shuts down analog.

But that is misstating the situation. No one is saying "you will never need new equipment" or even you "won't need new equipment."

What is stated is "if you have cable or satellite, you won't need new equipment because of the transition from OTA analog to OTA Digital." And that is obviously true. And you don't need to worry.

Now, if your cable company decides to ALSO switch off analog within their system, they are required to provide service to all analog devices until 2012. (IE a set top box.) You still don't need to worry--it behooves the cable companies to do things so they don't loose customers. :)

Again, I don't see the myth to be busted.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#18 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

But that is misstating the situation. No one is saying "you will never need new equipment" or even you "won't need new equipment."

What is stated is "if you have cable or satellite, you won't need new equipment because of the transition from OTA analog to OTA Digital." And that is obviously true. And you don't need to worry.

Now, if your cable company decides to ALSO switch off analog within their system, they are required to provide service to all analog devices until 2012. (IE a set top box.) You still don't need to worry--it behooves the cable companies to do things so they don't loose customers. :)

Again, I don't see the myth to be busted.

Cheers,
Tom

source please

I thought 2012 was when the manufacture of blu-ray players with out analog outputs would happen and the image constraint token would start to be used?

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,109 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:55 PM

I must be mything something here....:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

source please

I thought 2012 was when the manufacture of blu-ray players with out analog outputs would happen and the image constraint token would start to be used?

Widely talked about here at DBStalk, but this is the FCC Order.

Important notes: The extension of the transition date, has automatically extended this order. And this order can further be extended via review after the second year.

I'll leave it to you to search about blu-ray dates. (Hints: There are more than one and I've posted them at DBStalk...) :D

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...