Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Myth busted (Cable company transitions)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:22 AM

And if a cable company caries one digital station in a market thats a local, then they have to carry all of them... I think that starts on the 12th, as I recall...

Not sure how that flows with the rest of this thread, but hey, it appears to be in the realm of this thread of facts about the changeover and digital and timelines that seem to be collecting here...... :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lostman72

lostman72

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:45 AM

the myth is will existing cable subscribers need any extra equipent to continure reciveing cable tv services? the answer is obvisously yes if your cable service shuts down analog.

Once again this has nothing to do with TV station going digital. I think some cable companies are telling their customers they need set-top box, so they can move the process along to shut down there analog service. I would say most cable systems will have analog for many years to come.

#23 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

How does FIOS deliver channels in analog?

I have been told that the old FiOS system had an analog signal that modulated multiple channels of analog TV onto the RG-6 distribution system in the house. This way cable-ready analog TV sets worked without a digital box.

I have no confirmation or first hand experience.

#24 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

I'm going to close this one as the initial statement has been countered.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...