Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Google Map your post-transition OTA coverage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

I stumbled into this site, which allows you to show your OTA coverage after the transition in an interactive map. It's very well done actually:

http://www.fcc.gov/m...gineering/maps/
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

Nice find! Thanks for sharing!

#3 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Neat tool, but it seems to be based on Antennaweb's overly conservative estimates. It says I get "no signal" for all the full-power Austin locals (60 miles away), when in fact I get a strong and very consistent OTA picture for all of them. It would be an even better tool if it used TVFool's results. :)
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for sharing Stuart....while I'm "almost all green" on this great mapping tool...I suspect many others can use this to prepare and/or "brace themselves" where appropriate.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Based on what I'm seeing now on the antenna, I find the results for my house are actually quite accurate. They even properly forecast that I can't/won't get KVCR 24.1 even though it's physically close (it's on the other side of a mountain range.)

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Based on what I'm seeing now on the antenna, I find the results for my house are actually quite accurate. They even properly forecast that I can't/won't get KVCR 24.1 even though it's physically close (it's on the other side of a mountain range.)

My OTA antenna also maps perfectly to the list of stations and their results here.

Stuart - this is a very easy-to-use and helpful tool that I hope many use to check out their own situations, which obviously vary based on location.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

Interesting. What I am seeing is almost exactly what I see with Antennaweb. Here's what I get with this tool and with TVFool:

Posted Image Posted Image

Looking at it some more, it looks like all the stations are in the same relative order of signal strength, so maybe they account for terrain and signal strength in a similar way. Perhaps the FCC tool just has a different definition of "no signal" than TVFool does -- or maybe it assumes you don't have a good, outdoor antenna.
My stuff: D* HR20-700 (living room) / R15 (bedroom) / OTA 91XG+YA1713+HDP269 / Harmony 880

#8 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

Wow, this is nice. Thanks.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:20 AM

As with all things, it's likely the FCC's tool will be better for some situations and worse for others. I think the FCC's approach probably makes a little more sense when you're talking about a government web site. You don't want it seeming like they're promising coverage they can't deliver.

#10 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

I think the FCC's approach probably makes a little more sense when you're talking about a government web site. You don't want it seeming like they're promising coverage they can't deliver.

That makes sense. But on the other hand, erring on the side of fairly extreme conservatism may convince some people that OTA isn't a feasible option even with a high-gain outdoor antenna setup, and it might well be. Looking at my results above, a lot of people could be excused for thinking OTA would be hopeless out here.

#11 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thank you for that website.I sure am going to miss my Philadelphia stations that I get up here now in north eastern coastal Jersey. Bummer !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:40 PM

I stumbled into this site, which allows you to show your OTA coverage after the transition in an interactive map. It's very well done actually:

http://www.fcc.gov/m...gineering/maps/

Not terribly accurate, I presume. Several stations I get now that aren't changing anything show as 'No signal' at my location. Should be interesting on the 12th. Thanks for the link, however.

AntennaWeb appears to be more more accurate in my area.

Edited by n3ntj, 05 June 2009 - 09:00 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Interesting. What I am seeing is almost exactly what I see with Antennaweb. Here's what I get with this tool and with TVFool:

Posted Image Posted Image

Looking at it some more, it looks like all the stations are in the same relative order of signal strength, so maybe they account for terrain and signal strength in a similar way. Perhaps the FCC tool just has a different definition of "no signal" than TVFool does -- or maybe it assumes you don't have a good, outdoor antenna.

You can specify the height of your antenna at TVFool, while the FCC site may make an assumption that the antenna is indoors or is outside at 20 feet, so that may make a difference.

The FCC page includes the following note:

Actual signal strength may vary based on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, building construction, neighboring buildings and trees, weather, and specific reception hardware.

#14 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

TVFool maps are much more flexible and show actual (estimated) signal coverage by terrain.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#15 OFFLINE   mishababy

mishababy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

thanks thats a great tool.

spam firewall