Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best Signal Meter for 1000.4 Dish Setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   danielcohen67

danielcohen67

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi All. I'm new to this forum. Did a search, but couldn't find the answer.

I have a brand new Turbo HD Dish Network package, with the 1000.4 dish, and the VIP211 receiver. I have to do a self-install because of the very remote location (an island where I can't get anyone to install). I'm not too worried, as I used to have DirecTV in the past and setup the dish for that a couple of times.

I have the pointing information from dishpointer.com (Elevation 43.0°, Azimuth (magn.): 193.0°, Dish Skew: 89.5°) and as I'm on an island, I have a clear shot to the direction I need to point. I'm looking to hit 61.5W, 72.7W, 77W. I read through the dish setup instructions and understand it well.

I want to buy a good signal meter, as I have to do this install without any help. Was thinking about the ACUTRAC 22 PRO MKII. Is this going to work well for me? I can get it online for about $100, and don't really want to spend too much more for a meter.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Daniel Cohen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

I've been using the accutrac for years to aling D* slimline dishes and it works very nice.
I've gotten used to the sat ID of the birdog but for fine tuning nothing beats an accutrac IMHO.

For your limited use it would be perfect. I'd do rough align. USe the IRD to verify you're on the right bird then fine tune.

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

OH and where in NYC is there an island nobody would install on ? If a Jeep cherokee can get there I can always give you a hand.

#4 OFFLINE   danielcohen67

danielcohen67

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the very prompt response Mertzen. I'll order the Acutrac 22 now. I was just concerned because I know the 1000.4 dish points to different birds than all the previous Dish Network gear.

The location is a private community on Fire Island, no cars are allowed. You have to take a private ferry to get there, and then only bicycles or by foot. I'd have to pay an installer a tremendous about of travel time to do the job, and it's just not worth that. I'm willing to take the time myself. I know that pointing a three LNB dish isn't a cake walk, but I figure I can handle it...with the right meter.

There are plenty of folks with various dishes but the ones I've talked to have installer horror stories. I heard a story from one resident who said the tech showed up at the ferry dock on the mainland and thought that is where the install was. When he got over to the island, in the middle of the install he said he had to go to the hardware store for something! The hardware store is about five miles away in another community. And he didn't want to ride the bike!

Thanks again.

#5 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:31 PM

Any meter will work. Just connect it to port number three (3) on the LNB. Cover the 72.5 and 77 LNB with foil. When you get a signal cover the 61.5 sat. to see if the signal drops. If it does you have it aligned. This is how I install them and it works great.

#6 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Mertzen - would the previous model of the Acutrac 22 Pro (not the MKII) work ok with the 1000.4 (directly to the dish, not via a switch)?

I want to get one for fine tuning my Directv slimline, and I have family close by that has Dish and I want a meter that would work for Dish as well if needed.

#7 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

The older Accutrac Pro will work on the 1000.4. You can actually connect one input of the meter to the third output of the lnb to see your signal on 61.5. Connect the other input of the meter to the 2nd output of the lnb to see signal for 72. I recommend fine tuning your signal on 72. Slight adjustments of the dish tend to lower or raise the signal levels of 72 more acutely than fine tuning on 61.5. Also, make sure you use the gray-colored fine tuning bolt under the skew plate to get the best possible signal. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

spam firewall