Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiswitch

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

Hi Guys, I currently have two HR series receivers installed in my home. I wanted to add an R15 to my setup that I had laying around but need two more tuners in order to accomplish. I have the a 5lnb dish (not the slimline I think its the AT9?). So I assume I need some sort of multiswitch to accomplish this. I really cant see myself needing more than 6 total tuners so is there a multiswitch that would be optimal for me? I do not have SWM installed either and was told by D* that this was reserved for new installs only. Also, is there a B&M that I could pick this up at? I searched Walmart and Bestbuy but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Joe

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

The only multiswitch that will work for you (with HD signals) is the Zinwell WB68 multiswitch. I don't believe any B&M store carries it, it's really a too specialized piece of equipment.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#3 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Mike, thanks for the quick reply. One more quick question: Should I ask D* to supply this for me or is this something people generally get on their own. All my equipment is leased.

#4 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Well, if they come to install the R15, the installer will supply it for you. DirecTV doesn't ship things like that though. So if you plan to do DIY, I think you are stuck buying it yourself. You can always call DirecTV to install the R15 for you, but they'll end up charging you.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8

#5 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:43 PM

Thanks again. They don't look too expensive ($50 or so from solid signal?), and I assume they're not that hard to install.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Historically, (ie before my being a moderator with contacts) I've been able to ask DIRECTV CSRs for free installs which include the necessary equipment of switches and splitters (between dish and switches in my case.) But all my installs were of new equipment and before some cost savings measures have been implemented.

My suggestion is to ask. They might suggest several possibilities including a new DVR for a great price that includes free installation, free installation for your existing reciever, or perhaps discounts toward reimbusering you for buying (and installing) a WB68 yourself.

Good luck!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Thanks again. They don't look too expensive ($50 or so from solid signal?), and I assume they're not that hard to install.

All four outputs from the dish into the 4 left inputs of the multiswitch (just don't use the inputs labeled "flexports"), then all your receivers attached to the outputs of the mulitswitch. That simple really. Good luck!
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8

#8 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Tom and Mike. I'll give D* a shot before I buy the switch.

Oh and btw, I just wanted to say what a great website you have here. I've found so much useful info on dbstalk since I got D* in 2005. I remember when D10 went up, I was refreshing the new sat thread every 5 minutes waiting for news of the new HD channels! What an exciting time that was. It seemed like we went from 12 HD channels to 50 overnight.

#9 OFFLINE   jponte55

jponte55

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Well I got WB68... thanks again for the help. I was wondering if I can leave this outside. I have 4 RG-6 cables coming off the dish now. I have a ground mounted dish next to my house but the cables coming off the dish end outside. The directions say to keep this out of weather. Is this just a precaution, have others found ways to protect the device from the elements? Thanks in advance..

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:13 PM

I believe if you keep it out of the weather, it should be okay outside. You realize that by having it outside you'll need to run the additional lines from the switch into the house. I'd put the switch inside where the four lines enter the house and then distribute to your receivers from there.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

The big trick is to keep water from entering the connectors. If you can keep them sealed (silicone sealers made for this work great), then the WB68 can work outside.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...