Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cutting Edge: How to Download

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

When can I download? Downloading a Cutting Edge release can only be done during specific time windows that are announced in advance. Forcing a download during any other time will result in downloading the current national release of the firmware - regardless of the current firmware level for your receiver.

What if I have problems? If you have problems, you can revert back to the current national release. It is as simple as forcing a download after the CE window has closed. The CE window is open for a number of hours, so if the problem occurs near the beginning of the download window, you may have to way a few hours before you can revert to the national release.

How do I download?
  • Restart your receiver. Using the remote control, select
    Menu -> Settings&Help -> Settings > Reset -> Restart Receiver ({DASH} to confirm)
  • When the reset process starts, the blue LEDs on the front of the receiver will turn off
  • Once the LEDs on the front of the receiver come back on OR the first blue screen is displayed, whichever occurs first, enter this special code from your remote control: 0 2 4 6 8.
  • After a few more seconds, you should see a screen indicating that the 10-20 minute download cycle has started.

Notes
  • Press the number keys deliberately, allowing about 1/2 second per press. Do not hold the keys down. Make sure that you press ONLY the 5 numbers, one at a time, and nothing else.
  • The download process has two built-in "holds" to checksum the download and copy to permanent storage. So there is no need to report that your download has "stuck" between 90% and 97% unless it freezes for at least 15 minutes.
  • DO NOT RESTART the system again after the download process is complete unless you are asked. The normal download process automatically includes a second restart. Additional restarts harm the debug process.
  • If you reach the screen that says "checking satellite settings step 1 of 2" BEFORE you see an indication that the new firmware is downloading, then you will need to start over. The downloading screen should show up within a few seconds (it's not immediate). If it does go too far, then a Red Button Reset should make it start over without going through the entire startup process.

Why isn't receiver recognizing my key presses? Your remote and receiver were initially set for IR mode, and many report better results in IR mode. If your receiver is not seeing the force download sequence and you have set to RF mode, try changing back to IR mode. If your receiver is controlled with IR remote set to AV1 or AV2, and you are unable to force a download, add the following step: After initiating the restart by pushing the "-" (dash) button, immediately move the remote slide switch to DTV, and enter 02468 at the proper moment.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 13 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

Since Pictures are better than words sometimes, I thought I'd include some for you here.

This is the screen you will see first when forcing a download.

You will want to do your 0 2 4 6 8 here, but only if you are forcing a download. If you want to restart normally, without forcing a download, then just do nothing and let the startup progress at this point.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1239504923

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

The next screen appears while waiting for the downloading information

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Now, the download should be getting started. First, you will see a "Searching for Software" message. The version number presented here is NOT the version number that is downloading. This will show you the last version which you received automatically. This number may be different for different people and/or different receivers, so do not fret about this.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Now we get to the screen that shows all of the actual download information. Be careful to note that it says "New Software found" This screen may not appear if the firmware for your receiver is not available in the stream (rare).

Unfortunately, not all receivers will show the version being downloaded here. In this case, your best bet will to watch the chat room and confirm what is available before attempting a download.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1239505299

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Here's the Downloading screen again with some additional information.

The item in the upper right corner (circled in red) shows the version of firmware currently on the system. In the case of the shot below, it is 02ED. The item after "New Software found" circled in white is the version of firmware that will be downloaded. In this case, it is 02F8.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1239505299

Be careful to check that the version that is downloading is what you expect. If it is a lower version number than the one listed in the upper right, it usually means that you are downloading a national release. You may or may not want to do this.

If you find that you are downloading a version that you do not want, then please simply press the red button (RBR) before you reach 90% on the download. Once the receiver starts rebooting, do NOT enter 0 2 4 6 8 again because that will restart the download that you are attempting to abort. If you reset the receiver before 90%, then the system will restart with the previous version still intact.

WARNING: Do not reset your receiver after it has reached 90% as this may cause problems.
  • EricMCSE76 likes this

spam firewall