Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cutting Edge: FAQ

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Should I try a Cutting Edge download? We welcome new testers, but please understand that these downloads can be unstable. If you're not ready for a roller-coaster ride, or if your family isn't supportive, this may not be the place for you.

How do I know what's coming up? Check the CE Announcements forum at the top of this forum. You may subscribe to this thread, but you will need to resubscribe every quarter. If CE Notes are available before the download window, they will be located in this forum. After the window opens, they will be moved to the Cutting Edge Issues forum.

How risky is this process? Every download has a risk level attached to it. Here's a primer to help you understand:

Customer Candidate - This one is self explanatory. Basically it's ready to become a national release but there is some additional testing necessary - either by DIRECTV or by the CE team - before it is qualified as a NR.

Moderate Risk - There are some changes that may cause problems, but there is less concern. Typically there is some fairly decent testing, but nothing close to the exhaustive testing necessary for a NR.

High Risk - Often firmware that is hot off the press or has undergone significant changes. There is a much higher chance that things will not work as expected despite DIRECTV's best efforts. This is usually early in a cycle. Historically, even the High Risk versions have worked well, but this is not always the case.

Very High Risk - Watch out! There is very likely something that is broken.

How do I know if a download is ready to go? Check out the Chat Room at the time listed in the announcement.

How do I do the download? Read this thread for more information.

Can I stop a download in progress? Yes, as long as it has not reached 90%. Push the red reset button on your receiver to stop a download.

How do I get back to the national release?
Use the same steps you used to download the Cutting Edge release but do so when the Cutting Edge software is no longer available.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 16 September 2011 - 08:38 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

How do I report issues? Use the issues threads for each receiver in the Cutting Edge Issues forum.

What are the basic rules for reporting an issue in an issues-only thread?

Please keep all posts in issues-only threads to issues only. You may, of course, open a discussion thread for other discussion, constructive criticism, and problem solving, but issues-only threads are monitored by DIRECTV for bug reporting only. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

We ask that you keep polite and focused, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver. Please note your full model number and manufacturer on every post (e.g. HR20-700, R22-100).

Also, remember "the six-hour rule": The following will be deleted if posted in the first six hours after downloading. Feel free to post these six hours after you download.

• "Lost my to-do list"
  • "Lost on demand"
  • "Lost TVApps"
  • "Lost network services"
  • "Lost guide data"
  • "Slow remote response"
  • "Flaky triple-tap performance"
  • "Slow guide"
  • "Lost MRV"

Edited by Greg Alsobrook, 18 June 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:45 PM

What do all those acronyms and terms mean? Read this thread to find out more.

Should I report the same issue for multiple receivers? If the issue is on the same model (HD DVR for example) but different receivers, make one post and list all affected receivers. If the issue affects multiple models make one post in the issue thread that makes the most sense to you.

How do I report an issue for an older Cutting Edge download?
Use the current issue thread but make a note of your version number in your post.

How do I do network issue reporting?

To activate, do a Keyword search for IAMANEDGECUTTER

*** Network must be properly set up and working to use this feature ***

• On your remote, press {MENU} then scroll to Settings&Help, then over to Misc. Options. (you can also use the Menu+Info keys on the receiver to get to the Misc Options screen.)
  • Select the Report option
  • Click on Send
  • Wait for it to finish
  • You will receive a confirmation key in your response.
    *** Please include this key in any post you make in the issues thread ***
  • Please note that you can only send one report per hour
  • If you do not have a network connection, you will not have this option

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 January 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

What should I try to test? That's up to you. The real strength of the Cutting Edge comes in the thousands of people who use their receivers in a different way.

Are there any rules I should know about? You must accept the rules in this thread.

What happens if I don't? You will be excluded from the Cutting Edge forum by the staff.

Can I make suggestions for improvements? Yes! Our friends at DIRECTV want to hear your suggestions. Start a thread or comment in an existing one. However, just because you suggest it doesn't mean they'll do it.

What if someone isn't following the rules? Can I report them?
Press the Posted Image button under their username and the post will be reported to the staff.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 07 January 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Unlike most chatrooms, the DBSTalk chatroom is opened for a purpose. It allows us to:
  • Give real-time status updates to the Cutting Edge downloaders
  • Give DIRECTV instant updates
  • Give members a place to get help
  • Allow brainstorming about issues, solutions, and the new features
  • Give an opportunity to explain the release notes
Chats are primarily to help people. When things go awry, we must respect the people needing help and the great people here doing the helping.

Chatroom rules:
  • All forum rules apply.
  • Questioning of moderation is not permitted in the forums, nor in the chat. Bans will be immediate.
  • If an admin or moderator calls for silence, continuing to chat will be cause for being kicked or, for repeaters, banned until the ban can be lifted (usually the next day).
  • Red fonts are limited to admins and moderators.
  • Do not post the percentages on your screen as they pop up.

About the chatroom moderators:
  • Permanent moderators have a green user icon. Temporary moderators have a red/orange user icon.
  • Permanent moderators have the option of being invisible, so just because you don't see them, don't assume there's no one there.
  • All decisions from a moderator must be respected whether they are from a permanent or temporary moderator.
  • If you are chosen to be a temporary moderator, you may be given a specific task to perform. If not, keep an eye on what's going on and take the action you feel appropriate to keep things quiet, productive, and family-friendly.
  • All chat participants, including temporary moderators, are invited to double-click on any moderator's name to open a private chat for questions. Please understand that the staff can be quite busy and will get to you as quickly as possible.

To get to the chatroom, click here: http://chat.dbstalk.com

Click here to install SUN Java on your computer if you do not have the most current version. If you prefer not to use Java, you may use this link on any HTML5 compliant browser: http://client0.addon...d=42584&lang=en

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 08 February 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

Why are CEs only available Friday and Saturday nights? In order to make a CE available to anyone, DIRECTV must take over the download slot of the national release. As a result, they have chosen hours that get the greatest participation and will not interfere with the normal installation/download process. Late Friday and Saturday night downloads do a very good job of preventing a casual user from downloading.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...